A2 License help? Please!

Guest WhatShame

Hello!

I made this account to ask this question because I've searched the web to no avail. I'm looking into doing my A2 license pretty soon. I've got the theory booked and ready to go. Say I pass my theory.. What do I do next? I know I need to do module one and module two but I can book directly through the gov website or I can book with a training company and I'm not sure what to do. How long is the waiting list do you reckon too? I'd love to pass pretty fast because I'm in need of transport desperately. I've already been riding my 125 for three years as I'm twenty years old, but I need to start taking a pillion and I need to use motorways. Please guys, any information. My theory's in two weeks, how long afterward will I be able to do me practical tests? Thanks a lot :)

Welcome to TMBF mate........pop over to the Newbies section when you can and introduce yourself to the guys..... 8-)

Sorry for the delay in authorising your post, but one of the Mods or site owners needs to do this before it gets displayed.....unfortunately we need to do this to stop the place getting cluttered up with all sorts of spam.

Ok.....once you pass your theory you can go straight ahead and book your tests.....but I would advise doing this through a riding school as you'd need a suitable bike to take the test on.....and they'll train you to pass......so, although it's reasonably expensive to do this, it may work out cheaper in the long run..... :wink:

I'm assuming that you have a current CBT?......that will probably help a bit...... 8-)

It's fine! Thanks! I've been riding for two and a half years on my 125 and I've just had to redo my CBT. So you reckon I should definitely go through a school? Do around three days training and then do my tests?

Yeah.....go to a school and get them to assess your riding and a decent school will then advise how many lessons you need before you do the test. Bear in mind that, as you've ridden your 125 for 3 years now you may have picked up some bad habits that they'll need to beat out of you..... :wink:

Also, you can't do the A2 test on your 125......dunno if you are aware of that?

I took a similar route to you, when I did my a2 I went out for a couple of hours through a local training school and took my mod1 the next day. Then I rode to and from the mod1 test on an a2 bike through the training school. The test centre was an hour from home so we took that as training for mod2,

Luckily that was all I needed to get through as if been riding 125 for a couple of years and to be honest moving up to an a2 licence bike wasn't too much of a jump.

Hope my waffling helps :)

If you wanted to take a test on your 125, the only option would be the A1 test. You'd still be limited to 125 after you pass, but you could lose the L plates, carry a pillion and use the motorways.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Really helped! I spent ages on the phone talking to loads of people about it. And I'm not taking the test on the 125 I was just saying I have experience riding one. I've arranged training on a A2 bike with a local company.

I have a provisional license at the moment, what happens to that after I pass? Do I get another new license or does my provisional get sent off and I get the category written on the back?

When you pass the A2 test you can get the test centre to send your license off and you'll receive a new license with the new entitlement added to it.....or you can send it off yourself (check and send at a Post Office is good for this) with the pass slip.... 8-)

So they take my provisional and add the entitlement on the back? Or do they send me a new, pink license with the entitlement? Because I haven't passed my car test yet, I'm confused!

Assuming it's the same as mine (A license but no car license because not boring yet), you get a pink license, and on the reverse it has your pass date beside the picture of a bike with "A2" beside it (and nothing beside the car picture, obviously).