I'm now going to be controversial ...

Phooey

I never flash to let people out. I am also aware that if someone flashes me to pull out I look very carefully at the situation. But the Twats are now starting to flash you when you come up upon parked cars. They don't seem to understand that if the car is on their side of the road then I should have right of way and they wait. Not flash me to tell me they are letting me through.

I went round a mini roundabout the other day and a bus flashed me to say "you can go " totally ignoring the fact that its a give way from the right situation. I just shook my head at him and made a "you stupid twat" mouth movement.

The best ones are the ones who stop in a dangerous situation and then stick their hazards on so it make its "OK" to stop there. There also seems to be a new craze for bikers who are filtering to have hazards on. WHY?

If you think its dangerous and you need hazards on then don't do it. These are normally the ones who filter at about 40 mile on hour on the motorway through the stationary traffic. Oh and I do filter at every opportunity.

Bunch of grumpy, road users!!

What's wrong with showing a little compassion for fellow motorists and letting them out of a side road, or letting them know you're holding back so they can pass parked cars??

Having said that, I tend to make eye contact and use hand signals rather than flashing. Its the drivers who just sit there with blank facial expressions, no hand signals and no flashing lights expecting you to know they are letting you out are the ones who annoy me.

What's wrong with showing a little compassion for fellow motorists and letting them out of a side road, or letting them know you're holding back so they can pass parked cars??

Absolutely nothing!

Having said that, I tend to make eye contact and use hand signals rather than flashing. Its the drivers who just sit there with blank facial expressions, no hand signals and no flashing lights expecting you to know they are letting you out are the ones who annoy me.

I'll slow down, make eye contact and maybe even nod (I do this on the bike and no-one sits there wondering what I am doing) but flashing the headlights will be seen by everyone and because so many people don't know how to drive/ride safely, many see it as a signal to them that means 'go on it's safe'!

As such, the flashing of the headlights isn't the problem. The problem is the way they are recieved and then acted upon. If EVERYONE used these signal, including hazard lights, in the way they are supposed to be used we would have a lot less accidents. The problems occur when people decide to change the rules and meaning of signals to suit themselves.

As I said, even the police flash the headlights, and they should know better, so the safest way is go back to basics and use them correctly.

Bunch of grumpy, road users!!

I let people out mate. But I have stopped flashing them after too many cases of flashing people and then them not coming out until I am practically of top of them and then they decide they want to come out. Causing me to have to brake to a stop. After this happened a few times I stopped.