chain and spocket issue

denz90wolf

Hello

I have Honda CBR 125r. My chain is really bad shape iI tried cleaning and and using chain lude etc but it feels bike its lost power also my bike is shaking by my feet and can hear my chain when I'm riding it , if you know what I mean . may need new chain etc? Done over 5500 miles on it its a 14 plate . anyone help I would be grateful as I'm worrying it will break or destory my engine . how much to get it replaced?

Have you adjusted it at all? Chains stretch over time so become slack and need tightening up. Simple thing to check is if you find the centre point between the front and rear sprocket and move the chain up and down it should move about an inch (2.5cm) in total if you need to put a ruler behind it and measure the movement.

If it's slack it usually means you'll notice a delay in power, clunky gear changes and it tends to be noisier. Look up a tutorial on YouTube on how to do it its a simple and essential piece of maintenance you'll need to learn. I would recommend getting someone that knows what they're doing to show you in person just so they can double check its all correct. If you don't know anyone try a local independent bike garage rather than a dealer as they're more likely to spare 5 minutes of their time to help a fellow rider out.

Worst case scenario is you need a new chain a sprocket set which for a good quality one will set you back around £50, again it's easy enough to change yourself with some guidance.

Get a did set if you can stretch they are good sets with warrenty. Contary to popular believe chains dont stretch the rollers wear down and then it needs adjusting to compensate. How are the teeth on the sprockets thats usually a good indication of overall condition if changed all together

Just to confirm, you have checked that the chain is tight enough, correct? A loose chain will cause the issues your talking about and tightening it should be part of the regular maintenance of the bike.

There is no point buying a new chain if it only needs tightening a bit

Chain and sprockets wear. they also need lubing regularly ( more so in winter).

As has been said have you adjusted the chain to tighten it up? may be all it needs.

As to a new chain and sprockets as others have said DID chains are the best.

Change a chain and sprockets isn't hard either if they need change why not try to do it yourself or even if one of us is free and close by give you a hand to do it.

To be honest I haven't tried adjusting the chain at all . shall look into how to do it then of that may just fix the issue, but chain etc does look sorry for its self lol so may just get new one in summer . cheers

Still need to adjust the chain of it is too loose it can jump off the sprockets and lock up the rear wheel.

I suggest you get a Haynes or similar manual and adjust it asap.

If you post your location one of us may be able to show you how to do it.

If you do buy a DID chain from eBay buy from a well established seller. There are Chinese fakes on Taobao (Chinese eBay) that cost next to nothing and I know of 1 person that bought a full priced DID chain on UK eBay to find out it was a fake.

Here's a fake one on Taobao for the grand sum of £8.50 http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a23 ... =12#detail They also do fake NGK plugs, Yoshi end cans, brand name braided lines........

I've been to a local bike garage today . had new chain heavy duty gold . my chain was so tight and links had bent . think I make change at good time lol thank you for advise next is the sprocket lol

If the chain was that bad should have been picked up by any decent mechanic and have advised you that it needed replacing there and then when they serviced your bike.

Chains aren't a normal part of servicing but usually a check that things are correctly attached/tightened is.

Never heard of a bike place not advising you that something needs adjusting or replacing before.