Employment law question

fq-craigus

My other half has just told me that in march her shop is closing for two weeks for a refit.

Now she has been told that despite having a 27 hour a week contract she will be unpaid for this tine and has been told to take the time off as holiday. There is no offer to work in any other local stores (two others within 3 miles)

Now as far as im concerned she is contracted to work and they are olbliged to supply the hours?

I have told her to contact hr but does anyone know where she actually stands?

I was paid by carphone warehouse years ago when they closed for a refit

https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement- ... -time-off-

When leave can and can’t be taken

Employers can:

tell their staff to take leave, eg bank holidays or Christmas

restrict when leave can be taken, eg at certain busy periods

There may be rules about this in the employment contract or it may be what normally happens in the workplace. The notice period for this is at least twice as long as the leave they want their staff to take.

And she should get paid holiday... so paid for the time off.

I'm no employment law expert. But I have been a union steward etc in the past and in my experience we would have laughed this situation off the table. Look at your various insurance policies as some offer free legal advice irrelevant of the subject matter.

House insurance often offers this.

EDIT: England link... Quote below still valid :(

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/w ... ay_pay.htm

Your employer can require you to take all or any of your holiday at a particular time, as long as they give you the right notice at the right time and take into account certain agreements between you.

your employer can make you take your holiday during the times you are not required to be working,
Edited by Joeman