Engine power issue

Glorian

Weeeeell sorry i've not replied been very busy.

Long story shortened.. Riding home on tuesday got 1/2 down A12 (kelvedon) and bike cut out coasted to a layby 1/4 mile away doing about 20 with my hazards on seeing as it was pitch black now i called the RAC (First time ever) he came out within 20 minutes and after playing around with the bike he took the (what i think was) ignition coil out and cleaned it with something put it back in and it ran good as gold. So i jumped back on and he followed me up the A12 by which time it was still going well.

Fast forward to yesterday riding to college and same problem occurs.. i'm gonna be late so i keep the revs high choke on a little and i manage to get there with a little effort. After i left (3 hours later) the bike was fine for about 2-3 miles then issues again.. I rode it down to my garage and dropped it off and asked the mechanic to have a ride when he gets time.

Might be the lazy way to fix it but i'm happy to change/fix things but diagnostics? I ain't got time for that :D I'd be there all year. Just waiting on a phone call to hopefully tell me it's something small like a spark plug needed changing.

Anyhoo, thanks for the advice =)

Now that deffo is a coil being a fooker to be technical :lol:

Guy cleans it and it runs good as gold... That didn't fix it, getting it out into open air and it cooling down fixed it.

Coils sometimes break down at higher temps, so I'd replace the coil that hasn't been done yet and carry on and see what happens. I reckon that will be the cure.

Odd thing is. the mechanic took it out for a few miles and it was fine. So he's going to take it on a longer ride later on (about 20miles) to try get the problem to appear. if nothing happens i'll replace the coil anyway

Right, still not found any problems with it though it has issues at high speeds ie motorways etc. and it doesnt quite sound right. Mechanic is doing a check of the valves and several other things that i can't quite remember as he says something when he listens to it doesnt sound quite right even though it is rideable its not ideal. So thats booked in for next week.. Damn second hand bikes are expensive !

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. Spoke to mechanic today (not getting bike till tomorrow.. sad tom) The carb float valve needs replacing on 2. But as he has it off he recomended doing all 4. So once that's in tomorrow he's also changed the spark plugs and the air filter(?) so he thinks he has found the problem causing all my issues on the bike. SOmething about backdraft and other technical mumbo jumbo :D I'm not looking forward to the bill but hoping i can convince him for a discount as i'm a regular (doh)

Right, still not found any problems with it though it has issues at high speeds ie motorways etc. and it doesnt quite sound right. Mechanic is doing a check of the valves and several other things that i can't quite remember as he says something when he listens to it doesnt sound quite right even though it is rideable its not ideal. So thats booked in for next week.. Damn second hand bikes are expensive !

The alternative is trying to do it all yourself, saving a few bob but taking ages due to inexperience... Oh wait, the mechanic can take just as long on account of crap excuses. Nothing of value lost :mrgreen:

Such a smart ass :D

TBH to do it myself i'd have to have them transport it back to me and take all the parts off again only to realise i have no idea what i'm doing. I'll pay the money get it done properly and hopefully ride the bike