Cowboy Builders..

Joeman

So my building work has been going on for 12 weeks.. it was supposed to be a 6 week project... :evil:

For a long time i've suspected the builder i hired might be a bit dodgy, but now i'm pretty sure he is.

Luckily i'm not out of pocket - i just have an unfinished extension and a builder who seems to have forgotten about the job!

Anyone else had problems with cowboy builders not bothering to complete the job? whats the best course of revenge..... :twisted:

Find where he lives. Conduct surveilance by regularly riding past there. When it looks like he's gone on holiday, dig and salt the entire garden.

You having a bit of a tough day Ollie?

Sprinkle hemp seeds from your local hydroponics in his garden then bubble him for cultivation in the spring :evil:

Better than that is to seed-bomb him with a combination of Himalayan Balsam, Bindweed and Japanese Knotweed. I guarantee he will still be digging it up in ten years time :mrgreen:

Sprinkle hemp seeds from your local hydroponics in his garden then bubble him for cultivation in the spring :evil:

Better than that is to seed-bomb him with a combination of Himalayan Balsam, Bindweed and Japanese Knotweed. I guarantee he will still be digging it up in ten years time :mrgreen:

Yep I mean knotweed has DEFRA guidelines !

There was an infamous case of escalation between a builder and a disgruntled customer about 20 years ago near where my mother lives. It started with the customer turning up at the builders house in the middle of the night and spraying a huge cock on his front lawn with weed killer. A few days later the builder retaliated by mopping an industrial quantity of Nitromors all over his car. I can't remember who did what next, but it ended up with one breaking into the others house whilst they were on holiday and cutting everything in half with a Stihl saw - doors, furniture, TV - and then the other responding by Akro-propping the internal walls and knocking them down.

Unsurprisingly, the estate where all this went on was featured on one of those 'Neighbours from Hell' programs some time later.

1. Tip off the local yobs where the man lives and tell them he's got a million in cash hidden under the stairs in his house.

2. Tell local yobs the man had the local bargain booze closed down.

3. With the use of a big dog, collect the dog eggs left by said dog and leave a few weeks worth on his lawn. Repeat as seen fit.

4. Tip a can of Nitro mors onto his motor

5. Go medieval and flog the f**ker.

I hate cowboy workers... I had a problem with one once...

Only once...

1. Tip off the local yobs where the man lives and tell them he's got a million in cash hidden under the stairs in his house.

2. Tell local yobs the man had the local bargain booze closed down.

3. With the use of a big dog, collect the dog eggs left by said dog and leave a few weeks worth on his lawn. Repeat as seen fit.

4. Tip a can of Nitro mors onto his motor

5. Go medieval and flog the f**ker.

I hate cowboy workers... I had a problem with one once...

Only once...

If ever I piss you off, give me a chance to apologise !

If ever I piss you off, give me a chance to apologise !

Pissing me off is extraordinarily hard! But with cowboys it's a short tether!

I'm not a go round their house and kick off sort of person, but with a big loss of money for uncompleted building work, if I wasn't going to get my money back, I call my options "hostile claiming of a refund". Cost him what he cost you. :evil:

well he's really annoyed me now... said he would be onsite Tuesday, didnt show up. Said he'd be onsite wednesday and didn't show up, finally hes not shown up today either... think i'm just gonna tell him to stick it and find myself another builder..

Why do people operate like this? hes about 50 years old, been in the building trade all his life, you'd think he'd show his customers a little more respect...

You're more forgiving than I am Joeman, he'd get one chance max from me and that would only be if he had a phenomenally good excuse!

He might start to notice a see a sinister looking black motorcycle everywhere he goes, and wonder why none of the people he does quotes for hire him....

Hes got other jobs on but hes the dishonest builder.

Ive never understood it, our main contractor dose it all the time knowing full well that we wont be there.

It just pisses everyone off.

As for another builder you will find you get a high price/rate.

We dont like taking over others work and its got to be worthwile us doing it.

We dont know what bodges they have done.

Also he could localy black list you to.

If we ever get trouble with payment we always mention it in the merchants. And always enquire about new customers.

One of the reasons i never built a massive indoor pool for a premier leauge football teams owners daughter.

Not good at paying apparently.

Hes got other jobs on but hes the dishonest builder.

Ive never understood it, our main contractor dose it all the time knowing full well that we wont be there.

It just pisses everyone off.

As for another builder you will find you get a high price/rate.

We dont like taking over others work and its got to be worthwile us doing it.

We dont know what bodges they have done.

Also he could localy black list you to.

If we ever get trouble with payment we always mention it in the merchants. And always enquire about new customers.

One of the reasons i never built a massive indoor pool for a premier leauge football teams owners daughter.

Not good at paying apparently.

its such a corrupt industry!!

hes not local - i think thats part of the problem. he didnt factor in the travel time to site every day.

i'm actually tempted to just finish it off myself. i mean loads of people do home builds and there isn't much remaining left to do...

but if i could get someone to finish it off that would be better.

whats the best place to find good trades people?

Word of mouth.

Dont put your trust into FMB/NHBC, not worth the paper its wrote on.

Whats left to do?

The only bits id advise getting a pro in is any finished surface. You dont want to be sat there looking at a crap skimmed wall.

How did you find this builder?