Cager lessons...

Miss Meg

Hey guys. Hope you're all well :P

I've started driving lessons now, been on the bike for 8 years (full license since June), so I need to break some of the bike habits (like where my ass sits in the lane) and how to get around the corners without causing a blow out (first lesson ended 15mins in cause I hit a kerb and blew the tyre...).

So any tips from bikers going to cars? My mum is gonna put me on her insurance so when I need a lift places I can drive the car, but I'll still be using the bike the majority of the time so gonna be harder to break bike safe habits so I can learn to drive properly.

Any tips are very much welcome! :)

Miss Meg

There is this thing called a steering wheel which turns the car, unlike a bike which is turned by an unmentionable topic and prayers.

But seriously, just drive around a car park for a little while and get used to using foot for clutch. There's not many tips i can give as i went car then bike. Just remember you have less visibility of other road users than on a bike so always do a shoulder check.

Don't drag the clutch in the car like you do on the bike, they're very different designs and dragging it will shorten it's life. Replacing a car clutch isn't as easy as a bike's, either.

I went the other way, car first, and on my first lesson on the bike one of the very first things my instructor said was "so how long you been driving?", apparently I used the clutch far too much like a car.

Don't filter :lol: :P

Top tip forget about filtering and swerving to avoid potholes and also be prepared to get as frustrated as hell when stuck in traffic when you wish you were on your bike.

On the plus side it's always good to have a full licence to be able to switch on the heater and wipers when called for. Being that you took to the roads first on a bike normally your road sense and collision avoidance skills will be a good step in front of the average car driver. I firmly believe bikers make better car drivers. I also believe that car drivers should first ride two wheels to make them realise and respect just how vulnerable they are on the roads

Best of luck with your lessons

There is this thing called a steering wheel which turns the car, unlike a bike which is turned by an unmentionable topic and prayers.

But seriously, just drive around a car park for a little while and get used to using foot for clutch. There's not many tips i can give as i went car then bike. Just remember you have less visibility of other road users than on a bike so always do a shoulder check.

Well I got that far :P I've driven cars plenty, safely in fields :P at a max speed of 20mph. Yeah the reduced visibility irritates me. why do cars need them stupid pillar things in the way grr :P

Don't drag the clutch in the car like you do on the bike, they're very different designs and dragging it will shorten it's life. Replacing a car clutch isn't as easy as a bike's, either.

I went the other way, car first, and on my first lesson on the bike one of the very first things my instructor said was "so how long you been driving?", apparently I used the clutch far too much like a car.

Yeah, The clutch thing I need to work.. so frustrating trying to learn my way around a car in comparison to the bike..

Top tip forget about filtering and swerving to avoid potholes and also be prepared to get as frustrated as hell when stuck in traffic when you wish you were on your bike.

On the plus side it's always good to have a full licence to be able to switch on the heater and wipers when called for. Being that you took to the roads first on a bike normally your road sense and collision avoidance skills will be a good step in front of the average car driver. I firmly believe bikers make better car drivers. I also believe that car drivers should first ride two wheels to make them realise and respect just how vulnerable they are on the roads

haha, yeah I'm cool with that, only gonna be driving in rain and shit weather.. Bike the rest of the time. Hate cars, I get car sick :P

Bikers do make better car drivers, well unless they cant break bike habits to get used to it..

Would love responses from bike to car drivers.. Might have better tips (no offence lol ;) )

Best tip I can give is to slow everything down compared to a bike.

I drove a car for years, then went to a bike. Since I've been on the bike I hardly drive!

When I get back in the car, I find myself trying to throw it around like it's a bike. Doesn't give a nice ride and XmrsIS says I drive it like a go-kart.

Also, remember that you have a LOT less acceleration - the little gap that you can nip into on the bike just isn't doable in the car!

Well I got that far :P I've driven cars plenty, safely in fields :P at a max speed of 20mph. Yeah the reduced visibility irritates me. why do cars need them stupid pillar things in the way grr :P

Yeah, The clutch thing I need to work.. so frustrating trying to learn my way around a car in comparison to the bike..

haha, yeah I'm cool with that, only gonna be driving in rain and shit weather.. Bike the rest of the time. Hate cars, I get car sick :P

Bikers do make better car drivers, well unless they cant break bike habits to get used to it..

Would love responses from bike to car drivers.. Might have better tips (no offence lol ;) )

Had bikes from being a kid, and spent 18 months on a road bike before passing my car test.

I found it quite easy, left hand side of the body deals with clutch and gears, and right hand side deals with acceleration and braking, same as the bike albeit laid out differently.

Two completely different things as far as driving and riding is concerned, the main thing I struggled with was killing off speed, I could get round a left turn down a side street at 15-20mph without any drama, I actually tried that on my first 'lesson' in the car, ended up on the wrong side of the road, luckily nothing coming the other way. Resulted in a monumental bollocking, and an afternoon spent getting it right.

I didn't use an instructor though, my grandad was ex motorway police, and he taught me to drive, couldn't have passed any quicker, started learning when I booked my theory and 8 weeks later I had passed.

In a shitty 1.3 proton with no power steering. 3 point turns were fun.

It's practise mainly. I was driving every night and for a good few hours at weekends when i was learning, not feasible with an instructor, but maybe your mum could put you on her insurance as a provisional driver and you could get some hours in that way. Ask the insurance company what the crack is when you've passed too, some charge extra, the one we used didn't, but that was about 9 years ago now.

Well my second lesson went much better than my first lesson! Really glad about that.. Did some clutch control stuff, using the clutch as a break, weirded me out a little I have to say. My instructor told me that driving a car is exactly the same as riding a bike... I don't think he's been on a motorbike some how. It is completely different. Different method for controls, different layout different road positioning. Next lesson is next monday, hopefully do some reversing stuff then :).

Thanks for the tips guys :D

I did my bike test before my car one but they were within a few months of each other, if it's any help at all I found the car test much easier.

The only thing I didn't like was having to feed the wheel back round with your hands, who actually does that after they've passed their test?!.

I think a lot of it has to do with how well one adapts to physical tasks.

I'd been riding for a year or two before I took my car test - only had four lessons before passing but then I'm a very practical person. In my opinion, being a (regular) rider and driver gives a much better appreciation of both forms of transport with regard to their capabilities and limitations.

The only thing I didn't like was having to feed the wheel back round with your hands, who actually does that after they've passed their test?!.

Driving instructors.

And Police drivers.............and me..... :wink:

Driving instructors.

And Police drivers.............and me..... :wink:

I'd be surprised if they do anymore than other people driving on the road.

Same as people using 1 or 2 hands while driving it will be personal preference chances are when you pass your test you'll drop that push pull nonsense immediately.

As an ex driving instructor, the pull push method is not a requirement of the driving test and hasn't been for over 10 years. You may cross your hands to turn the wheel as long you are always in full control and never let it slip/spin back. You must always have both hands on the wheel when driving in a straight line unless you are changing gear or using any of the controls.

Pull push is better for new drivers initially, but once any of my ex pupils got comfortable I would tell them the above and then leave it up to them. Some would adapt to suit themselves and some would continue to pull push.

I did my bike test before my car one but they were within a few months of each other, if it's any help at all I found the car test much easier.

I do.....................

As an ex driving instructor, the pull push method is not a requirement of the driving test and hasn't been for over 10 years. You may cross your hands to turn the wheel as long you are always in full control and never let it slip/spin back. You must always have both hands on the wheel when driving in a straight line unless you are changing gear or using any of the controls.

Pull push is better for new drivers initially, but once any of my ex pupils got comfortable I would tell them the above and then leave it up to them. Some would adapt to suit themselves and some would continue to pull push.

Well I didn't know that.

Did it get dropped because all cars come with power steering these days?

Apart from slow speeds and parking I generally don't cross my hands.

My Granada doesn't have power steering :)