ATF and acetone?

GazW

Has anyone tried this stuff as a penetrating fluid?

I've taken delivery of some downpipes to replace mine and apparently the bolts into the head on my bike are notorious for snapping.

I want to give myself as much of a fighting chance as possible to not have to drop the engine and pay for any snapped ones to be drilled out, I was looking into the best stuff to use and was almost settled on plusgas but then found a link to a few people who swear by this concoction, not too sure if it's an old wives tale or there is some truth to it.

Been thinking on this one... Would acetone and ATF even mix? It's miscible in water so probably won't be in oil.

Also it's very volatile so would evaporate very quickly. Maybe if you got a fine enough suspension of ATF it might serve as a vehicle to carry it in to knooks and crannies then evaporate away to leave the oil to lubricate the joint...

My feeling is that this is bunkum, various companies put in a good amount of R&D in to the proper formulations and it's hard to believe they didn't tumble this already.

Been thinking on this one... Would acetone and ATF even mix? It's miscible in water so probably won't be in oil.

Also it's very volatile so would evaporate very quickly. Maybe if you got a fine enough suspension of ATF it might serve as a vehicle to carry it in to knooks and crannies then evaporate away to leave the oil to lubricate the joint...

My feeling is that this is bunkum, various companies put in a good amount of R&D in to the proper formulations and it's hard to believe they didn't tumble this already.

It's not just one or two sources, it's all over the Internet. I was just looking anyone who had first hand experience. The thing stu found is what everyone seems to refer to, apparently a load of bolts were soaked in water to rust, then various penetrating fluids were used against the control of cracking them off without using anything. The ATF mix came out on top.

You're right that they don't mix, they seperate left to their own devices, you combat this by shaking the bottle before using it.

As far as the R+D is concerned, I very much doubt the large companies would come out and say something along the lines of, you should still buy our product, but there something you can knock up at home that's infinately better, it's not like you can copyright mixing together two products is it?

I'm going to try it anyway, I'm not going to swing off the bolts, if it doesn't work I'll try plusgas. Like I first stated, was just looking if anyone had tried it.

I busted a header bolt on my b12 & had to have it helicoil fixed by my bike tech, to get the others out though a heat freeze heat feeze etc will break the dissimilar metal corrosion bond ( :mrgreen: )

3xp.jpeg.360ebd2a1b96d4a48d6a96c65c673432.jpeg

Don't get me wrong matey, I wasn't shooting it down, I was just having a brain fart and wrote what I was thinking as I went along!

It would be interesting to see how it works for you - you might convert us all and save us a few quid in to the bargain! :-)

Don't get me wrong matey, I wasn't shooting it down, I was just having a brain fart and wrote what I was thinking as I went along!

It would be interesting to see how it works for you - you might convert us all and save us a few quid in to the bargain! :-)

I read that back what I put, didn't intend for it to come across so argumentative.

I've just mixed some up now, the acetone sat on top of the oil, gave it a shake and it mixed together.

I've given the bolts a spray just now, I'll spray them again in the morning and see how they take to it. I bought a few cheap spray bottles from the £1 shop because I reckon the acetone will eat the seals in the pump mechanism.

If it works I'll buy a chemical proof spray bottle.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/18/7eeccd47086577567b1351baedd2273f.jpg

Started at 9 this morning and I'm done now, a fair few brews because it's fooking freezing.

First off, when I purchased the bike, the previous owner had put motad pipes on, that's the result.

No real corrosion, the crap over the collector box is where I put some high temp silicone round to stop them blowing. It's literally sheared at the welded collar. I remember when it went, I was just riding normally, then heard the change in exhaust note and pulled over thinking WTF was that. Buy cheap and get cheap.

I got a bit excited during and didn't take any pictures during, but every single bolt came out without any issues or real torque from me on the socket wrench. I didn't even coat them this morning, I just thought id give them a try before spraying some more on.

I have to say, I'm not entirely convinced. I'm halfway converted, but I'd like to come across a bolt I know was well and truly stuck before applying this and seeing what the results were.

I was that shit scared of shearing a bolt into the head I held back a bit when I tried them dry. I felt I hardly put much pressure on to crack them off though. Also the bolts hadn't been copper slipped which is meant to be the one thing you can do to make this job a million times easier

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/18/1af2126ac8188c483c0a713796060bb7.jpg

I only bought that much (50ml) just to try, but on the back of today's performance I will be buying a litre to go with the litre of ATF I have. Also a proper bottle, as the cheap spray bottles pump had gone this morning when I tried it.