The Project has Landed....

min200

OK then I have been rebuilding an old Land Rover FFR over teh last nine months or so and the blog seems to have gone down well across a few forums so I thought I would share it here as well (with permission from Stu of course)

Now I am not going to copy and paste all of the posts in because I would be here all weekend so check those out at http://www.nickysmith.me but I will post them here from now on. Feel free to take the mickey point out where I am wrong and generally have a laugh...

Dentists and Dial Tones

Land Rover Rebuild

Posted by min200 Fri, January 16, 2015 19:06:12

Well the day started off with a visit to the Dentists. I don't like Dentists I know they have a hard job staring into peoples sometimes stinky mouths all day but I am pretty sure mine is a bit of a sadist who enjoys inflicting pain in fact I am pretty sure the only reason he wears a mask is so you cannot see him smiling.

He told me that "This might have a hot spot here and there" as it felt like he was cutting my gums off with a blunt knife...you have gotta love having a deep clean. I am not a small man and most of the time I face the worlds problems head on not fearlessly but with a determination to get through and past them but stick me in a Dentists chair and I am five year old who just wants his Mummy! Still that was soon over and the next problem of the day had to be sorted.

First stop was the DVLA call about the rejected application for my Land Rover...Well all I am going to say at this point is always put a covering letter in with your application it just may save you some time worry and heartache. I have returned some forms to them and I will write up exactly what next week because I am doubtful that it is all they will want so watch this space.

Then it was the turn of the Tax Man this was not a call I was looking forward to either because they wanted me to contact them about the monies owing on the Land Rover. How a Landy from the MOD could owe Import Duty and VAT was beyond me so I picked up the phone and with my stomach turning butterflies I dialled them.

I would like to point out at this point I had spent most of the night tossing and turning had taken a visit to the dentist for some torture and just dealt with the DVLA my God I didn't want to make a call that would cost me more cash I didn't have for a car that I cannot drive but hell it just had to be done. So with a deep breath I gave the reference number and waited for my pants to be pulled down.

Ever had one of those experiences that when they are over you blink to yourself in pleasant surprise and the day just feels a little better? Well I had that today with of all people the Tax Man. Turns out that they had entered the landy in as a brand new vehicle and had since realised their mistake and rectified it and another letter is in the post explaining this. They also apologised...yes that's right the Tax Man said sorry for the cock up and I hope it hasn't caused you too much worry! So fingers crossed as that bit is now done and dusted that the next DVLA instalment isn't too painful either.

With all of that over I went out to potter around on Mator as there were a few little bits wanting doing. I started by fitting his new spare wheel cover...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/min200/Landy%20Project/20150116_112540_zpsbeea57c5.jpg

I am pretty sure they have sent the wrong size out as it seems a couple of inches too small so looks a bit rubbish really. It can stay on for now though to help keep the winter off of the padlock keeping the wheel in place.

At the MOT I noticed the spring on the drivers side window wiper arm wasn't that good so I treated myself to a pair of new wiper arms...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/min200/Landy%20Project/20150116_113425_zpsf9213cb7.jpg

At least I should now be able to see out of a bit of the window in the rain! I then fired up the old boy so he could warm through a touch and to just hear the engine run while I tackled the steering wheel. It sat at the vertical instead of the horizontal to and from the MOT annoying the hell out of me so I popped off the center cap...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/min200/Landy%20Project/20150116_145553_zps180c8dbb.jpg

Undid the nut and turned it around to sit the right way up...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/min200/Landy%20Project/20150116_150351_zpsd0cbfd77.jpg

By now the engine had warmed up nicely so I thought I might have a bash at improving the carb mixture as it was running very lean on the MOT test and did feel a little underpowered while driving it. After asking some cleverer folk than me on the forums I was informed where the mixture screw was. In the picture below the mixture screw for the Zenith carb is at the seven o'clock position and you turn it anti clockwise to increase the fuel mix...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/min200/Landy%20Project/20150116_151612_zps98d9c6a2.jpg

As I turned it I could hear the engine pick up and it was nice to lose the "popping" noise when I took my foot off of the accelerator.

Then with a smug feeling of accomplishment and the tension of the last 24 hours easing away I set to fitting the window locks onto the doors. This didn't take long which was good because I was starting to loose the feeling in my fingers to the cold.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/min200/Landy%20Project/20150116_155513_zpsa4fe52e6.jpg

This was enough for the day I was getting really cold and tired and I decided that cooking dinner was a good option seeing as Wifey has a bloody awful cold and her coughing and sneezing over the food didn't seem like a particularly appetizing situation.

www.justturned40.co.uk

Edited by min200

I had a good read of your site the other day and really enjoyed it. It's the kind of thing I wish I'd done when I restored my Scimitar (the internet didn't really exist then though :-().

I'd love a crack at an old dinkie but the OH already said no...

I had a good read of your site the other day and really enjoyed it. It's the kind of thing I wish I'd done when I restored my Scimitar (the internet didn't really exist then though :-().

I'd love a crack at an old dinkie but the OH already said no...

Thanks chap I have enjoyed writing and rebuilding it! Keeps me busy and out of Wifeys hair ;)

Badges & Spares

Land Rover Rebuild

Posted by min200 Sat, January 17, 2015 16:40:54

You have got to love a long weekend off. Turn away now if you wish because I would just like to point out I am into day two of a four day weekend and boy do I need it! Nothing like some down time to kick back and relax... Yea right like I would ever just kick back and relax but I am enjoying just pottering around doing as I please more or less.

After a lazy start with tea in bed then a big fat sausage cob Wifey and I pottered along a riverside before getting home and me deciding that now would be a good time to sort out the sheds and greenhouse seeing as I am getting to saturation point of junk spares and clutter that most of I don't really need.

All I managed was the greenhouse and shed one before the light gave out but I am now the proud owner of one pile of junk to go to the dump and another pile to Ebay off so three guesses what I will be doing this evening!

The best part of the day though was when my youngest daughter decided to tell me that a good friend had dropped me off an old Land Rover badge for Mator five hours after he had done so and three hours after I had got in. Bloody teenagers when I asked where it was she just looked at me like I was stupid and said "On the dining room table" as if this was the most obvious place for something to be left as well as the first and only place I would look when arriving home "just in case" something had arrived. Still I am pleased as punch with it and it looks like the old motor is properly dressed now it is on...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/min200/Landy%20Project/20150117_141107_zps220f9284.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/min200/Landy%20Project/20150117_141128_zps210cc938.jpg

Still a couple of bits I would like to fit in around everything else this weekend but whether I get the chance will be another thing....

If it's not a stupid question what are you going to do with it

when finished? :lol:

Not stupid at all fella ;) I intend to play off road with the Nottingham Land Rover Club along with using it to transport kayaks mountain bikes etc about for a more outdoorsy life style that has been building up with my little tribe over the last couple of years :)

Droppers and Damp

Land Rover Rebuild

Posted by min200 Mon, January 19, 2015 16:12:33

Well I made right royal arse out of myself and it was online where everybody can now see for ever or until the human race dies out whichever comes first.

Now you see I was clearing out my sheds and I cam e across an old 24v-12v dropper I forgot I had bought as part of a job lot and this is a good turn of events as I needed to buy one for my new CB that Wifey bought me for Christmas. I took a quick look at it and its three wires and wondered to myself what wire did what so a quick photo on my mobile and it was uploaded online with exactly that question.....

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/min200/Landy%20Project/20150118_132338_zps4d2ee7ad.jpg

But being a busy chap I failed to see what was right in front of my face that being the printed instructions on the sticker that is on the dropper that everyone and hos mate saw before me and quite rightly then proceeded to take the micheal out of my utter stupidity. I started to blame my eyesight but in writing the sentence started l laughing at myself and realised I wouldn't buy that so why would anyone else? Sometimes you just have to admit you are a tool it is just far easier than digging yourself a grave!

Now then seeing as that embarrassment is done with I had a day off all to myself today and decided to change over the gearbox mounts because in all fairness the old ones were looking a little bit ropey at best. Shouldn't take long that eh? What an hour max just support the gearbox whip the old ones off one side at a time and drop in the new ones.

Yea right why do I still think these things you would have thought I would have learnt better by now...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/min200/Landy%20Project/20150119_091327_zpsfa73a9c0.jpg

The nearside first and as you can see once I jacked it up a touch the mount broke up so it really needed doing. Could I get a socket or a spanner in anywhere near the rubber mount nuts either end no no I could not so no worries I thought I will just drop off the whole bracket instead. The bottom one came off fine but the bracket attached to the gearbox fought me for nearly two hours with seized nuts locking nut flaps in unreachable spots and the exhaust thought it would be just a bot funny to be in the way as much as possible especially at the angle where I needed to put a spanner.

I muttered and groaned swore under my breath and fought on...it fought back at every turn the fact it was freezing cold really helped out each time I slipped and banged a hand against metal but I won in the end. The rubber mount was now in two bits still attached to each bracket but I was done with being nice so out came my favourite bosh it tool the grinder. Within two minutes the brackets were clear and even though it was a bit of a pig to put back on it went on easily enough compared to getting it off.

Now at this point I was thinking to myself that I was bloody cold and maybe the offside mount would be ok really and wouldn't need doing...obviously it did so with gusto I had to muster from the depths I set to getting the old one off. It came off easily on all bolts too easily I mean its an old Land Rover there was going to have to be a price because there always is...

I looked around and was happy to find the new mount sat there with new bolts just wanting to be fitted. Nothing bad seemed to be lurking about I could even account for all of my tools so I set to apprehensively putting it back together...then the snow started.

I kid you not whatever forces are at work in this world do like having a laugh with me I must be like their personal play thing and not in a good way! I lay there underneath the Landy wondering why my legs were starting to feel really cold then I looked outwards and started to chuckle to myself because there was nothing to be doe at this point at the blizzard that descended in a matter of minutes. Still the mount had to be fitted as I didn't want to leave the gearbox balancing on a jack all night so I spent ten more minutes with my legs sticking out from underneath the motor slowly turning white.

Mounts done and me feeling happy it was all over I threw my tools in my shed noted to myself the damned white stuff really was settling and went on for some lunch. I came out an hour later after warming through to post some parcels and all of the snow had gone but after a cold morning lying on concrete I decided enough is enough for one day and I will tackle the electrical issue I have at the weekend.

Broken Babygrows & Blown Switches

Land Rover Rebuild

Posted by min200 Sat, January 24, 2015 19:09:20

No news on the registration but hopefully that's good in itself but the brake lights have been playing up again. They were sticking on then turning off then not working at all but after being parked up so long I have been lucky the rest of the electrics are playing nice.

I checked connections all the way through the lines they were fine as well as the power from front to back so I thought it must be the relay then seeing as it looks a little rusty. I just happened to have one in a box at the back of the shed amongst a box full of 24v spares I got months ago so I took the light box apart and found that just popping the relay out was not going to be that straight forward...of course not it is my old landy...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/min200/Landy%20Project/20150121_195948_zps4ffwuuks.jpg

See that relay at the back the one that could not possibly be more awkward to get to to remove if it had two bolts on the inside among the wiring to remove to get it out...oh yea it did have two bolts on the inside among the wiring to get it off and I had to twist and bend to get my fat fingers in place then just as I was contorting in a position worthy of the karma sutra there was a rip as the backside of my babygrow gave out under the strain of my ass trying to escape from it.

With a jump on my part at the noise the sudden cold and worry it was the seat I had broken my hand slipped and I jammed my fingers down onto the back of the six way switch stabbed myself in the hand with a screwdriver then sat down with a bump so as not to frighten any passing pedestrians.

By now I was getting a bit peeved but I nearly had the bugger out, the relay not my ass, and it was soon swapped over with the replacement. This made no difference at all to the performance of the brake lights so I got out a replacement switch and popped it in place on the back of the servo. Now they worked again just fine but this is how the other two were and they didn't last long but upon advice from those who know better than me on such electrical matters I have ordered a decent make replacement switch ready for when this one burns out along with a new babygrow before I ruin all of my clothes again.

www.nickysmith.me

And it is complete.

Land Rover Rebuild

Posted by min200 Thu, January 29, 2015 20:41:18

The paperwork for Mator's first registration has been back with the DVLA for the second time for two weeks now. I have been stressing worrying driving myself around in circles tying myself up in knots creating scenarios that it would be sent back to me rejected again even though I have done everything the DVLA has asked.

I suppose I should explain what they did ask for after the first rejection. I was dumbfounded when it was returned rejected as I had sent everything that was requested but now the person dealing with my request had decided that I needed to send in the original MOD paperwork from when it was demobbed as well.

17 years have since passed since its demob so that paperwork doesn't exist any more so I called in a state of anxious worry the next morning to be told by the same team that this was not needed seeing as it had been sat around in a field for that time so could I send it all back with a covering letter and "whatever else you have for it".

I explained I had the MERLIN report showing all relevant MOD details and they were over the moon about that so I dully sent it all off the very next morning.

Well today the insurance company that gave me 60 days to get the registration sent a snotty email wanting it within 14 days so my worrying mind couldn't take the suspense any more so I called DVLA direct again today to see what was happening because the cheque we sent in to pay for the tax etc still had not been cashed. After being asked a minefield of questions determining the time and consistency of my last poo the lovely lady told me that yes it has all been approved and your Land Rover now has a registration number.

I was over the moon and even better she gave me the Registration over the phone because they are now allowed to do that so I could tell the insurance company. I felt like a weight had been lifted off of my shoulders and my Land Rover is now mine because I can drive it around for at least five miles before it breaks down but I don't care because I will just fix it and do it all again!

When I arrived home even more good news in that the V5 was sat there on the coffee table as well so I can go straight out on Saturday morning and get the number plates made up!

This really is the point where it all feels complete that the months of hard work sorting out the MOT and then the worrying myself daft for a fortnight over something I could not control was really worth it. Don't get me wrong I don't recommend being a worrying pillock like me because it is pointless and I know that but it does not stop me from doing it though over the stupid things but the opposite side of it is the high you get when it all comes together.

Man it feels so good to have built something like this and of course a logbook that states my Landy has had no previous keepers ;)

Love these posts!

Also would love a project like that, but fortunately reading blogs like yours remind me it'd actually end in disaster as I would have given up long before, or set fire to the project through a mixture of incompetence and rage haha

Love these posts!

Also would love a project like that, but fortunately reading blogs like yours remind me it'd actually end in disaster as I would have given up long before, or set fire to the project through a mixture of incompetence and rage haha

LOL I have felt like that a few tomes and removed stuff I shouldnt along with taking chunks off of my hands and nearly loosing fingers but I have loved every minute of it and now I have the registration it is time to sort out the inside of it ready for the summer playing :)

Thanks for the compliment chap and theres other nonsense on the website www.justturned40.co.uk some bits I am trying out but let me know whats rubbish!

Number Plates & Cleaning

Land Rover Rebuild

Posted by min200 Sat, January 31, 2015 16:18:32

I awoke to the sight if snow falling yet again and it was pretty bloody cold to boot. The cough that my eldest daughter had donated to me overnight had settled in for the long haul and my bones ache from a mixture of hard work with germs...the day ahead didn't bode well. The plan was get some plates made up and go and have a bit of a play in the Landy but seeing as I was moving at the pace of an elderly snail plans were thrown out of the window.

I have worked so hard then worried so much on this old motor that another day wont hurt. The number plates were bought when I finally ventured out then as I went to fit them I saw that the wiring was out and about from tracing the brake light issue last weekend so I set to putting all of that back into place. That done it was time to fit the plates! I carefully marked them up in a geeky way as to where the holes needed to be gently drilled through and after laughing at the guys in the shops who wanted £2:79 for a pair of capped number plate screws I bolted them on instead...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/min200/Landy%20Project/th_20150131_123547_zpsypqq56dm.jpg

I mean what difference does it make when it comes to me breaking them off road in a few weeks?? because I will I am sure and in anticipation of this I have just ordered a cheap replacement off of fleabay to carry around in the back.

The tools from the rebuild that have lived in the back of it for months have been taking out and put away properly for the first time in forever the boot now seems very bare.

Still feeling rough I have decided to wait until tomorrow to take a proper test drive out along with the fact that seeing as I worry like a woman as you all know the RAC membership I have bought doesn't kick in the recovery side until tomorrow afternoon I shall err upon the side of caution to start with.

Next steps will be the rear interior the winterised lining is coming off and will need to be replaced but that will be over time along with having to wait for warmer weather to paint the inside.

But guess what folks? I am only going out driving in it on the road for real tomorrow and I cannot wait :) Now where did my Lemsip go???

http://www.justturned40.co.uk

Great post

I have an affinity for series Landies, I have owned several SIIs and one SI with a V8 8-)

Sadly I dont have the drive space for one currently but one day I shall have another (if the prices stay sensible!)

Enjoy your tootle around tomorrow, plenty of pics if you play in the snow :wink:

You couldn't make it up...

Land Rover Rebuild

Posted by min200 Sun, February 01, 2015 12:27:01

Well the sun was shining I only had a couple of chores to do and Wifey was off out so today was the day Mator and I were going on our first proper drive. I had planned to take lots of pictures of it in different places just to show it out and about but first I had a couple of things to do.

Soon enough the bike was fuelled up the parcels dropped of for delivery from some junk I had sold on Ebay and I was sitting in my Landy feeling good with a grin onmy face ready to roll.

I popped the keys in the ignition turned them to get only a flat battery click. I mean for Gods sake I only had it running yesterday but then a memory popped in of me thinking the lights looked a little on teh dim side but I put it down to the sun being out for a change.

So I dragged the batteries out and put them on charge then set to seeing if it was anything obvious as to why the batteries weren't charging. First and final stop was at the generator where it was obvious that the main cable that comes out of it to the shunt box was very loose. That'll probably be it then because any more loose and it would have dropped off.

Next chance to drive the old boy??? That will be next weekend then...bugger.

Great post

I have an affinity for series Landies, I have owned several SIIs and one SI with a V8 8-)

Sadly I dont have the drive space for one currently but one day I shall have another (if the prices stay sensible!)

Enjoy your tootle around tomorrow, plenty of pics if you play in the snow :wink:

Fuel has come down again so a V8 is a possibility lol as for the prices they are rising fast!! Mine has an agreed valuation of £3500 with no arguments what so ever!

Charging and Connections

Land Rover Rebuild

Posted by min200 Fri, February 06, 2015 20:54:57

Mator has decided that even though he has been loved and lavished attention on over the last ten months he did not want to play out. He was not going to give up any electrical power had gone into a full scale sulk not even pointing me in the right direction of where to look to start.

So I asked those good folk online in various forums and got a dozen different maybes so I started with the Alternator. I stripped it out of the engine and suck it indoors because what I was about to do was fiddly as hell for my monkey fingers and sitting down at the dining table to do it seemed to be a good idea. What I forgot was that I was not the only one off of work today and just when I could not be making more of a mess Wifey walked in the door with a look of horror on her face at the various bits of very greasy alternator gubbings strewn across the tabletop. I don't think I deserved the tirade of abuse that followed seeing as I had put newspaper down on the table before I started but it seems that this was not quite enough to appease the woman of my life so I suppose that will cost me a bunch of flowers tomorrow.

Anyway I stripped the back of the alternator off to check and clean the connections and bushes...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/min200/Landy%20Project/20150206_151516_zpsefnwvgpu.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/min200/Landy%20Project/20150206_151808_zpsz4ki23ma.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/min200/Landy%20Project/20150206_152150_zpsxsrisg5x.jpg

It was filthy in there and greasy as hell so a good clean out with Meths sorted that problem and the bushes were showing wear but still had some life left in them so I put it all back together did not loose any of the tiny screws and refitted into engine bay. The key turned the engine fired up so I checked the batteries they were still only showing 24v.

Bugger.

I resigned myself to the cost of a new alternator but I asked again on the forums and was told to run through it all again checking for loose connections etc. One comment stood out as the chap said "check the cables going into the regulator box are not over tightened and popped the retaining D ring out as this will cause the wiring to work loose" Now this struck a cord because way back when I had started to strip the landy down for rebuild I undid a lot of that cabling by mistake but hell it could not be that easy could it?

Yes it could. In my early day eagerness I had over tightened them and popped out the D ring so I put it all back together reconnected the batteries and fired up the engine...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/min200/Landy%20Project/20150206_200408_zpsalaf0cyp.jpg

A healthy 28+volts coming through and charging nicely. So a days worth of buggering about because I buggered up one connection months and months ago.

Still at least it kept me away from Wifeys wrath for a few hours.

www.justturned40.co.uk

The First Time

Land Rover Rebuild

Posted by min200 Sun, February 08, 2015 09:30:19

Well I sit here working up the bravery to take Mator out for his first run. We wont be going far just around the city to do a few chores but I feel as nervous as a virgin on prom night.

This is all depending on whether I get to the petrol station before he runs out as he is running on fumes!

See you all on the other side...

Then there was rough running.

Land Rover Rebuild

Posted by min200 Sun, February 08, 2015 15:17:57

I apprehensively jumped into the Landy with Wifey joining me on teh passenger side and fired him up. He started well enough of course but he always has I checked the road and set off clunking through the gears wiping the condensation that appeared instantly on the windscreen all the while trying to keep his drifting steering in a semi straight line.

1/4 mile down and he is going ok as we attack the first roundabout double back and made it no worries to the petrol station...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/min200/Landy%20Project/20150208_095941_zpsrvw5jat1.jpg

I had noticed there was a bit of a delay when you put your foot down on the accelerator and the engine actually doing anything but I thought that might just be me some how.

We then drove a few miles to the next stop which was a sunny supermarket car park as Wifey had things to pick up but it was nice to see him in a different place for a change...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/min200/Landy%20Project/20150208_103003_zpsmxivykri.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/min200/Landy%20Project/20150208_102950_zps9awmaxil.jpg

As we wandered around the Supermarket I was deep in thought as to why this delay was happening on acceleration as it seemed to be getting worse. I knew there would be teething problems but at least one trip out without one would be nice but another realisation was dawning upon me and it was one I did not really care for...I hadn't enjoyed driving him at all. I have driven plenty of them over the years so the ride handling and noise were not unexpected but I hadn't smiled once and I am hoping that it's because it's running a little rough and once I have fixed that I will enjoy him again.

Maybe I just enjoyed the rebuild...I do quite fancy doing a Discovery as in conversion to off road beast but that will be some time down the line.

Anyway after buying what looked like stuff that could have waited until the shopping was delivered tomorrow night we walked back out into the car park and I couldn't see the old boy to start with...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/min200/Landy%20Project/20150208_102930_zpstfgxhyp7.jpg

Must of been the camouflage colouring and the other folk parking up with nothing better to do on a Sunday morning ;)

Driving home the flat hesitation seemed to get worse so I set to looking into it as soon as he was back onto the driveway. I checked for air intake issues but all was fine then checked the ignition system but all was good there as well but after doing some research and asking lots of questions it would seem it is the carb that is at fault which is no surprise seeing as it was parked up for years so a new one will be ordered today ready for fitting asap. I will pick up a rebuild kit as well and have a stab at rebuilding the old one as well for a new experience.

So watch this space and see if we can get the old chap running sweetly once again.

Number plates

Land Rover Rebuild

Posted by min200 Sun, February 08, 2015 18:24:57

After fitting the rear number plate last week it became apparent that the ladder does indeed block a lot of it off but just in case plod takes a dim view of this I ordered a set of extra plates to see what I could do about it.

I thought where could I put this that it wont look stupid but it seems that this was a bit of a tall order. In the end I settled with attaching it onto the roof rack...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/min200/Landy%20Project/20150207_094225_zpsd2pk0twp.jpg

Looks a bit pants if I am honest but at least plod wont be on my back for something stupid.

New Carb & Timing

Land Rover Rebuild

Posted by min200 Sat, February 14, 2015 17:06:21

It has been a hell of a week so far one of my daughters got most unwell and ended up in hospital so my place was of course by her side as I watched with a dawning horror the barrage of tests they put the poor kid through and my God a couple of them were invasive. She was strong and handled it all well now hopefully she is on the mend as all of the nasty things they thought she may have have been ruled out which is a relief but there is nothing worse than looking at your own child lying sick in a hospital bed wishing it was you instead. I would also like to take this opportunity to say thank you to all of the staff at Kettering General Hospital who treated her in such a great way honestly folks you would not have got better treatment if you had paid for it privately and to all those who knock our NHS in my opinion you are wrong because they have been superb!

So with all of that over a few sleepless days and then a training day away with work it has been an exhausting week so this morning as I lay there in bed proving to myself yet again that the days of lie ins are far behind me the fact that the new carb had arrived for the Landy and needed fitting. I snuck out of bed got dressed and took my first cup of tea outside with me to have a look at what lay ahead...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/min200/Landy%20Project/20150214_080604_zpscarqgwe6.jpg

Air was being sucked in somewhere so out with the old for a complete replacement. Much to my surprise it all come off easily from detaching the choke cable and throttle linkage to removing the two nuts that held the carb in place. As I stood there in amazement that I had only had a sip of my tea and it was still hot showing how quickly the old carb had come of I dug the new carb out of it's packaging and set to fixing it into place...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/min200/Landy%20Project/20150214_084550_zpscgh4ggtw.jpg

Again everything slipped back into place easily and I set up the carb roughly by turning the mixture screw all the way in first until it stopped then turned it anticlockwise 1 1/2 to 2 turns out. Then I primed the carb up by pumping the fuel pump a few times and gingerly turned the ignition key thinking there was no way it would be that easy...it was! The engine fired straight up so with a smirk I let it warm through and run up to temperature.

As I stood next to the engine I could hear air being sucked in somewhere on the carb but it still ran far better than the old carb did. So I looked around and saw that the air pipe on my Landy fitted below the carb on the manifold rather than on the carb itself like it should do and a quick look at the old carb showed that the air inlet had been welded up on it so I turned off the engine and set to getting some old fuel pipe attached to the new carb air inlet which I folded over on itself creating a seal that can easily be removed if needed...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/min200/Landy%20Project/20150214_102547_zps7thoodjm.jpg

With that sorted and teh engine ticking over again I set to giving it a few tweaks to set the carb right but do you know when you have been trying fix something for so long you start hearing extra noises and it never sounds quite right...well I got there so I did the only sensible thing I could I turned it off and walked away from it for a while. I have a friend coming over next week to have a listen and drive just to have an extra set of ears on it because I think it is probably fine but sometimes you just need someone to tell you you are a pratt and confirm it.

Another point to make here is that I have decided I want a Discovery as my next project. Now I am on no rush for it but I will be looking and I may just may put Mator up for sale if and when I am ready to get a Disco. My reasoning behind thie is two fold. Firstly I have loved the rebuild it has been great fun and I want to go around again for another go and secondly we are going to be moving into Derbyshire next year and there will be times when riding the motorbike to work just wont cut it in snow and ice so a Disco would be better to use than Mator seeing as he would cost a small fortune to do the 40 -50 mile daily commute with the petrol engine as well as reliability issues.

Before you all start shouting "Keep them both" I cannot afford to run two of them and before you now shout "stick a 200tdi in" I wont do that it is more or less military 24v standard and if someone wanted to put it back they would just need to change the wheels seats and chuck the radio gear back in place. That and these old Military Series 3's are getting harder to find.

SO a good mornings work and the next job on the list will be seeing if I can (don't laugh) stop the slight leak from the gearbox providing no one ends up in hospital work don't send me miles away and the rain holds off.

www.nickysmith.me