Gsf 600 throttle issues.

skiffer

So... I roll on the throttle and it does what you'd expect, roll off however and revs don't drop. It maintains the engine speed and sometimes will continue to rise alone. It's my first older bike so I'm a little unsure as to how rough around the edges things should be, but that doesn't feel right. I've ordered new cables a and b.... because cleaning them out looks pretty unlikely due to the amount of filth in them.

Any advice? Think it is just the cables??

Gsf 600 98

Hello mate - you might want to stick an intro in the newbies section...

Cables would be a good place to start. Other things would be the throttle action - is it smooth and free or is it a bit sticky?

I'd have a look at the carbs too, the cam there the cable attaches can get gummed up and in need of a clean and lube. :-)

I'm replacing the trottle tube now as it's erm... broken. Something snapped off which retained the push cable. Annoyed!

The throttle moves as it should but doesn't exactly ping back. So I new cables and unit first anyway. Then move from there I guess!

Thanks

Yeah.....sounds like sticky throttle cables......but while you're farting around near the carbs just give the inlet stubs (where they attach to the engine) a look and make sure there's no splits or leaks around that area..... :wink:

I've got a few days off next week so will pull it apart then.. first time tackling it but if I'm simply pulling stuff off and putting straight back on it can't get to complicated can it.. can it? ? I mean I fixed a few of them I phones in the past and they are a proper fiddly nightmare!

seeing your post about the bike f alling over did it fall t o the right and if so it might of just knocked the throttle onto the bar slightly causing it to stick might just need screws loosening and moving out slightly,but of course if it fell onto its left hand side forget i ever said a word

I've replaced the throttle tubes and cables and now everything is much more responsive. The revs don't drop instantly but I may be expecting to much as it's an old bike after all.

The carb removal was a pain in the arse... no wonder the garages wanna charge so much. And reconnecting everything I kinda made a few mistakes. The only issue is I seem to have a left over pipe lol. It's a breather but I have no idea for what.... as it doesn't smell like fuel even slightly :s

while you had the cables off the carbs did you check how they opened and closed they should snap shut without being pushed or the mechanism pressed if they didnt do that then its the shaft and springs connecting the carbs together with the butterflies through them that are sticking slightly

They snapped shut I did check that.. cleaned the springs and externals up with some wd40. Surprising how much junk gets into a covered area. It's definitely not holding the revs higher now. Which it was with the old cables. Next time I get some reasonable weather ill get them back off and go for a full strip down... but I'm a little intimidated by upsetting something within and causing issues I can't fix.