Help dismantling Italjet steering arm joint

gaz73

I have a 2002 Italjet Formula 50 that just failed its MOT because I cant find the tool needed to remove the nuts shown in the picture below. If I cant find this tool I need to scrap the whole bike basically and I have 7 days left to fix it before its retested. Not looking good. Id appreciate any help.

Thanks.

t8.thumb.jpg.10a610e6aff512ae0bd776da5081c356.jpg

Edited by gaz73

Welcome to TMBF mate......pop over to the Newbies section and introduce yourself to the guys when you can...... 8-)

If you're talking about the round thing with the small nicks around the edge, thats a washer that basically grips the side

of the hole it's pushed into.....can't remember the name of them for the moment.. ....this needs to be prised out with a screwdriver or similar, which will destroy it, but that's the idea of them anyway.......underneath is probably a nut that you need to undo to remove the part that's causing the problem with the MOT......I'm guessing a worn suspension linkage bearing..... :wink:

You are not limited to 7 days only. In 7 days you get a free retest. After that you just pay again.

Sorry link won't open properly in tapatalk so can't help you with the nuts

Thanks ive edited the image now you should see it.

Yea sorry my bad I got confused there about the MOT date thing, basically I need to fix it by March which is too close for comfort if I dont find this tool.

Welcome to TMBF mate......pop over to the Newbies section and introduce yourself to the guys when you can...... 8-)

If you're talking about the round thing with the small nicks around the edge, thats a washer that basically grips the side

of the hole it's pushed into.....can't remember the name of them for the moment.. ....this needs to be prised out with a screwdriver or similar, which will destroy it, but that's the idea of them anyway.......underneath is probably a nut that you need to undo to remove the part that's causing the problem with the MOT......I'm guessing a worn suspension linkage bearing..... :wink:

wow this is great news because I noticed one of them has some of its teeth sheared off. Dude you may have saved the day but any more info would be cool, if anyone knows the name etc. Id just like to try to find these things before I destroy them.

Thanks so much guys its a big weight off the mind.

Awesome thanks, funny I was looking at that page today and wondering wth they were.

Well thats it job done, you guys are the best, I just spent 4 hours looking online for a tool for this LMAO

Cheers!

was the mirror handyinstead of looking online ??.lol welcome to the forum please feel free to stick around and join in the banter and general good fun that had on here

Awesome thanks, funny I was looking at that page today and wondering wth they were.

Well thats it job done, you guys are the best, I just spent 4 hours looking online for a tool for this LMAO

Cheers!

was the mirror handyinstead of looking online ??.lol welcome to the forum please feel free to stick around and join in the banter and general good fun that had on here

Thanks man, its nice to see this place tolerates people who deeply offend others lol this is my kind of place and my bike sucks so hard you can guarantee I will be back. Thanks guys.

OK I have a new problem, ive never seen this before either.

Each side of the steering arm joint has this gold face with some plastic kind of outer ring seal, I cant see anyway to get it out. Is it another hammer and chisel job? lol

20150121_003137.thumb.jpg.e287821307ab2296788697e742da639c.jpg

20150121_003341.thumb.jpg.b8a128eb7624dd739d58195313f60592.jpg

20150121_003008.thumb.jpg.d180d04f89dc562af67a4eca66df95b7.jpg

have you tried using a drift and gently hitting it with a hammer as inside that joint it will be full of needle bearings and you will need to break the grease seal that would of fomed over the yearsr

Yes tried that, it doesnt move and seems to be part of the brass thing behind it (cant be knocked out) very confusing.

Edited by gaz73

tried hitting the pin at 90 degres to it, as it looks to me to be wider than the vertical pin on that join

No not tried that yet but I will do thanks.

I took it to a bike garage and they've never seen anything like it, I guess the only solution is to get rid of the bike and stick to well know brands, either that or buy a new steering arm for £170 JUST to replace the bearings.

it might need to go onto hydraulic press to shift it does the joint itself come off the arm on a spline or is it welded to the shafts coming off it?

I have no idea how its constructed, this is whats worrying me.

I found these images online after hours of digging, sadly I cant reach the guy who did this.

Im thinking maybe I just need a socket (of right size) and a mallet to hit the plastic seal out the other end, but I wouldn't wanna try it without knowing.

11.jpg.160e37eb296b81e17173c8f7c4ab045c.jpg

22.jpg.f1f25589b7e444b947bff465eefd52f5.jpg

33.jpg.3a4896b2ff8172ef8fc6b6faa297c67d.jpg

Those scooters have quite a big following.

There are a couple of forums specifically for them. You might be better asking on there?

Yea they are very quiet now, I posted there months ago about something and still not had a reply.

I think ive worked it out now, you can buy the bushes (those black plastic seal things) so I got some on order, i will try the socket and hammer thing see if it works.

Cheers.

using the socket as a drift to knock the pin out of the joint...

but tbh, you might be better buying the ready assembled join from ebay...

I considered that but you need to buy the whole steering arm assembly, £170.

Just thought id update and finalise this problem. I ordered the black bushes and removed the old ones by drilling a hole at 12pm and 2pm and carved out that section then used a small screwdriver and got behind it and prized it out, greased the new ones and put them in and all good now.

I was told by a guy at a bike shop that its a Chinese steering joint on an Italian bike and it cant be removed and that its far better to buy the whole assembly, that would have cost £170 but this fix cost me £17.

Glad to hear you sorted it :)

Little hard work and determination has certainly paid off :D

Thanks Ricky. Ive actually noticed that replacing these bushes has cured the wheel wobble over bumps but its not got rid of all the play, theres was an inch of play before and now theres about 1/4 inch, im worried it will fail the MOT again if hes not happy its enough, could do with finding out what the legal limit is or if its just mechanics discretion.

I posted help on the Italjet forum but its very dead there, I think you guys must have seen something like this before?

I have no idea how to dismantle this other than to hit it hard with a hammer? After weeks of digging around all I know is I think its called a pivot pin bearing.

The last picture is really confusing, because on my bike the bearings have 2 black ring seals either side exactly like in the last picture, but the parts provided by Italjet (3rd pic) dont have these seals :scratch:

3d.png.f458ec9e1922f483b4807252058bc3b4.png

4d.png.e27b66a7f2da84f28430754132991c89.png

4ed.png.6178bdfa9ceafbb2cd78feebe2f16d9a.png

5ed.png.fc7107caadfad1271bb536bf032c7a7b.png