Parking eye

rice-pudding

I recently received a letter via the post saying I had over stayed my welcome in the local super market carpark (in my car). Which I did do, I was longer than two hours.

£85 is what they are asking. I have heard from many people not to pay as this can't be enforced upon you. I plan to ignore this and not pay. It was 9pm on a Friday evening, the carpark was empty!

Has anyone had any experience with parking eye before?

Go to pepipoo and ask. I believe the ignore it advice is no longer valid, but neither is their charge. I think you need to write demanding a written, itemised breakdown of their losses and costs incurred due to your parking.... obviously they can't make that up to £85. Also signage is important.

Pepipoo is the place for stuff like this though

Were you in the store? If so speak to the store manager and explain you were there and often they will have the charge cancelled (providing they run pay for the service) at least thats how it used to be at homebase

Pretty sure they are not allowed to profit from the situation. They can only make you pay a fee that's equivalent to what they've lost.

they also have to respond in writing within 14 days, so send them a letter querying the figure.

Thanks guys, I was there for 3 hours, my friend went into the shop but I never, the car park was near empty. I'm going to hang fire for now and not respond and if the continue to contact me I'll open an appeal.

Thanks for all your advice!

Just ignore it they won't do anything, I've lost count of the amount of 'private parking charges' ive had over the years, they will write you a silly letter with big bold red words, maybe another one if you ignore it then give up.

Yes they will. The game changed a while back (unless you're in Scotland or NI).

OP: If pepipoo doesn't help, take a look at Money Saving Expert.

Their format hasn't changed in the last year, I had 2 or 3 within the last year and they've not done anything. Theyre very limited in what they can do.

My view is that unless it's a council parking ticket file it in the bin, obviously it's up to you if you want to bother engaging in correspondence with them.

for the fine to be enforceable they have to firstly prove it was you, and prove that by overstaying your welcome you cost them 85 quid.

So wait as long as you can until they've recorded over the CCTV footage for the day and they cant prove it was you.

and they will never prove you cost them 85 quid so not much they can do.