1996 Vulcan 500 LTD - stalls when clutch is released

Guest rpeach72

Hi Everyone!

New to this site and wanted to pose a problem I am having with a new purchase. I bought a '96 Vulcan 500 a few weeks ago and got her to my shop and now running into a problem

The issue is the bike stalls out when the clutch is released, happens when the clutch is about 90% released. Today I lifted the rear wheel off the ground and she seems to switch between gears fine.

What should I look at first????

I've made the following adjustment since the purchase:

Oil Change

New Air filter

New Side stand switch

New Clutch Switch

Generous amounts of Seafoam

New Battery

Drained and replaced the fuel

Thanks

Rpeach72

Hello mate. You might want to say hello in the newbies section and add your location to your profile before the mods wag their collective finger at you. :-)

Shop? Seafoam? I'm guessing you're in the US...

If it's working OK when on blocks but not on the ground I can only assume it's lack of power. Is it running alright and are you giving it enough throttle?

check the switch for the side stand it sounds like it is breaking down put the bike on the centre stand and have a look up near the bolt for side stand meeting frame ther should be a switch there and it might need cleaning/replacing

I replaced the switch a week ago, the old one was bent and ceased. New one seems to be doing its job.

Hello mate. You might want to say hello in the newbies section and add your location to your profile before the mods wag their collective finger at you. :-)

Shop? Seafoam? I'm guessing you're in the US...

If it's working OK when on blocks but not on the ground I can only assume it's lack of power. Is it running alright and are you giving it enough throttle?

Yeah I'm in the US, NJ to be precise :).

I've tried getting the RPMs up but still the same outcome. Also tried getting her moving in higher gears but no success.

Thanks for the Replies!

is the side stand closing the switch properly?

if something is bent it might not be closing the switch

I assume it is working since I can get it in any gear when the tail end is off the ground. Just when it is under stress she is being fussy.

Thanks

Hi and welcome, just a thought is the side stand return spring working correctly and not gone weak? Should this flap about it might just activate the safety switch. Otherwise check the circuitry and connections on the circuit.

well going through what you have wrote then I dont think you have a issues with the side stand

I think you have a power issue or lack of power!

have you checked the plugs and coils?

the spark might be enough to get the bike going but not enough to keep it going under load!

also have you checked the voltage at the battery whilst running and voltage at the coils too

Hi and welcome, just a thought is the side stand return spring working correctly and not gone weak? Should this flap about it might just activate the safety switch. Otherwise check the circuitry and connections on the circuit.

Hi,

Its worth a look, but since I can get it running when the wheel is off the ground would make me believe the switch is functional.

well going through what you have wrote then I dont think you have a issues with the side stand

the spark might be enough to get the bike going but not enough to keep it going under load!

also have you checked the voltage at the battery whilst running and voltage at the coils too

I replaced the plugs and battery but never bothered to look at the coils or checked the voltage. That will be tonight's plan.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I replaced the plugs and battery but never bothered to look at the coils or checked the voltage. That will be tonight's plan.

Thanks for the suggestion!

remove the plug caps and trim the HT leads half an inch or so too