Best way of swapping rear shock?

GazW

I've purchased a wrong shock in the past, bought one for a gsxr1000 that is too long to fit the mk1 bandit but fits the mk2, so I've sold that and bought one for a 2004 cbr600rr which should bolt straight in according to a bandit specific forum.

Problem I'm faced with, is I have no centre stand, it's not an issue, I'm planning on propping the swinging arm up on axle stands. I've done this before when I've had my back wheel off and it's sturdy enough.

Just wondering if there's a way of pulling the back end up when I take the shock out?

I've no garage, so a beam is out the question.

Am I being dumb and missing something, can't think of another way.

Can you get a loan of an ABBA stand? They are brilliant for swapping shocks. If you can afford it, they are worth investing in, I got mine second hand on ebay. They are very very versatile:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/cruxiform/20140512_115002.jpg

you need no weight on the swingarm at all so propping up on axle stands wont work

once you remove that shock the full back end will drop if there is weight on the swinger!

depending on the size of the axle stands you could stick a bar through the back under the subframe like so

2014-11-18 13.38.44.jpg

Hi first thing first, crack the fixing nuts loose whilst the machine is on it's side stand to avoid unnecessary leverage whilst the machine is up in the air on support stands. As Stu has already pointed out you cannot remove the shock with the bike lifted up on the bobbins or rear wheel axle stand. As soon as you drive the bolts out from the shock the back end of the bike will collapse ="drama Big drama!!" You need to get the weight off the swinging arm, there's a couple of ways of doing this, as already said an Abba stand the perfect tool for the job otherwise if you can get a solid bar through the swinging arm hollow spindle and place a couple of jacks - blocks of wood what ever to lift and support the bike this way, or another way is to remove the bottom of the fairing place a block of wood under the sump and again lift and support the bike this way with jacks or axle stands. Just remember do not try and loosen or retighten the shock fixing bolts whilst the bike is in the air and not fully supported.

Hope this helps

when i had my fireblade i used my trolley jack with bike on side stand loosened the bolts first then jack the bike up so that weight is just lifting off the bolts then remove bolts swap shock and you can lift or lower the bike a fraction on the jack to line up new bolt holes slip bolts in lower jack tighten bolts job done just use the exhaust downpipes to jack on as the standard ones will carry the weight no problem at all

Would the axle stands be ok underneath the frame? As long as they don't interfere with the swinging arm and I have the weight balanced over the front end I should be ok? Reluctant to spend £110 on a stand I'm going to use once every year and a half