Bleeding scotoiler help required.

Phooey

Eventually managed to fit the scotoiler today, with the help of a mate. I fitted the unit behind the number plate inside the rear mud guard as this was one of the suggestion by scotoiler. The way that it is fitted I have to remove the reservoir to fill it up and to remove the reservoir I have to disconnect the feedpipe. This causes air to get into the system. Any suggestion how I am able to get this air out with the unit in situ?

Currently the trapped air is not allowing the oil to flow.

Cheers.

Not sure that I am describing the situation very well here. Here are some pics that will hopefully make it clearer, although the quality of the pics are not good.

The filler bottle is a squeezy type, Mr Fro, with the plastic tube on it. The problem is that I have the remove the resevoir which necessitates the removal of the feed pipe. Removing the feedpipe is letting air into the system. This is what I want to avoid.

20150124_154310.jpg.6690a6d28237803b61e0f06923745d43.jpg

20150124_154238.jpg.2e2750528f87a80b7ec29651b611032d.jpg

20150124_154246.jpg.4b4216f15495b0b79ec93d2a48686a7f.jpg

Okay, I think I see what you mean...

Howabout a three way stopcock in the exit line - something like this:

http://www.capitolscientific.com/core/media/media.nl?id=39423&c=1250437&h=9f6717a2d28e65f12fa1

If you put it somewhere accessible then all you'd have to do it attach the squeezy bottle to the open port, turn the nubbin 90 degrees, fill 'er up and turn it back.

It'd work unless there's a one way valve at the bottom of the reservoir...

Ermmmm! I just sat next to my bike with the engine running thinking about the problem and noticed that oil was dripping onto my chain. Maybe the air in the tube doesn't make any difference?

It's been a while (8 years) since I've owned and used a scottoiler, but to my recollection you should have an applicator that you attach to the tube at the top of the reservoir and squeeze it in that way.

Either that or buy a syringe with a tube off eBay and do it that way. Again if my memory serves me correctly you shouldn't have to disconnect the reservoir as it is under vacuum pressure. I remember having to split my vacuum pipe under the tank to fit a small t-connector.

Hope that helps.

Thanks guys. Yes everything you have said is correct but the way it is situated I can't fill it without taking it out of the holder and then I have to remove the feed pipe so I no longer have a vacuum.

Looks like it is dealing with the air bubble by itself. Will keep an eye on it and see what happens.

What I can't see is. That air bubble should run to the highest point of the tube. Then just leave it. It's to do with the capillary action. Long and short is, if you have more liquid in the tube than air it should still work. Or you could unclip the feed tube. Not take it off. Rise the tube and the air should come out the tip/needle. You'll get the idea.

John933

Looks like it is dealing with the air bubble by itself. Will keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Mine has always managed to, so I'd ignore it since it's working as intended

bubbles always moved along with the oil when i had my oiler attached. they werent much of an issue.

but you should really think about mounting it somwhere easier to fill up, as the point in these is to make life easy, and its making it harder for you.

you should also be able to turn the body of the oiler to prime and that pushes the oil through and then you turn it back to reset it to the amount you want it to feed out

I feel you might have glossed over this point, so I'll repeat it, because thats what its there for.

Set it to prime, go on a ride, let the bubble out, then turn it back down again

:stupid:

Mine is also mounted behind the rear numberplate - to fill it, I just remove the plate and then pivot the fill tube out and fill (the detail is available to download from the Scotoiler website).

The only time I get bubbles are if I allow the resevoir to run out completely. Following the instructions on re-priming the resevoir and then using the 'prime' position on the oiler itself, bubbles quickly are expelled. Resetting the flow is quite 'fiddly' but once done, it is easily repeated.

If you have to remove the resevoir to fill it, I'd question whether you have installed it correctly.

:cheers:

Just filled mine up (I had allow it to run out just because it was a bit messy but have some long tours coming up so wanted to make sure it's all good for that).

Had air in the system but after 40 or so miles riding, it was air lock free and pi$$sing out all over the place... set the flow rate back down to minimum :)