CG 125 would not start today - Please read

Guest mckevstah

So my CG 125 is a 2001 model I believe, but it has no electric starter. The only way to get it going it via the kickstart. Served me well so far. Pit of a panic when you stall it at some lights, but hey.

Anyway, today I was kicking this damn bike for about 45 minutes, and nothing. Didn't roar into action once. It was fine yesterday, it just out of the blue, stopped working. Any ideas what it might be? Something I could fix? (Bare in mind I have next to no knowledge about vehicles).

I just don't want to take it to a garage again. Spent over £800 in the past 3 months because something new breaks on it every other week.

Thanks.

Firstly if you continuously try and start an engine you'll just flood it and it won't start because of that, in future try a couple of times and leave it for 10 minutes to let the petrol evaporate.

Now to the problem..

Have you got petrol?

Petrol tap turned on/reserve?

Have you got spark?

Has it been really cold where you are?

Kill switch active?

Was it in neutral?

Firstly if you continuously try and start an engine you'll just flood it and it won't start because of that, in future try a couple of times and leave it for 10 minutes to let the petrol evaporate.

Now to the problem..

Have you got petrol?

Petrol tap turned on/reserve?

Have you got spark?

Has it been really cold where you are?

Kill switch active?

Was it in neutral?

Okay, i'll try doing that next time. Thanks for the tip.

Full tank.

Turned on.

This may be the issue.

Moderately, not cold enough to freeze anything, it's been worse and worked.

No kill switch on this bike.

Yes it was in neutral.

Since posting i've tried a few push starts, after like 4 attempts it finally got going. I drove it around for about half an hour, pulled up to some light, had it in first and held the clutch in. The bike died.

I had look at the engine and the black cable that goes to the spark plug was firing off electricity into other bits of metal. I could see the spark. I also tried to wiggle the black cable and shocked my hand, so I think that might be the issue. Something to do with the cable that goes to the spark plug, or the actual spark plug. Any advice what to do now?

Thanks again for the replies.

the cap that is on top of the spark plug should be screwed into the cable going into the other end of it pull it off the spark plug hold the cable and turn the cap anti clockwise to remove it then cut a tiny bit about 1cm off the cable then holding cable screw cap backk into it going clockwise then refit it to the spark plug see if the bike starts then and there should be no sparks flying off elsewhere

the cap that is on top of the spark plug should be screwed into the cable going into the other end of it pull it off the spark plug hold the cable and turn the cap anti clockwise to remove it then cut a tiny bit about 1cm off the cable then holding cable screw cap backk into it going clockwise then refit it to the spark plug see if the bike starts then and there should be no sparks flying off elsewhere

This^^

Although I would add, a new spark plug cap is only a couple of quid, I had one that was knackered on an old CG.