when to use front brake

Guest Spenp002

ladies and gents,

not a major question...just one that im hoping will tidy up my riding...again any input will be appreciated.

At what speed do you start using the front brake for stopping?

so if im moving slowly in traffic, or between junctions...and im moving at a conservative 10mph in first gear and need to stop for whatever reason...do I rely solely on the rear brake to stop me, or do I give the a front a tickle as well?

thank you in advance

Many say that the front brake is 80% of your stopping power, and indeed does carry most of your stopping power with the rear being applied slowly and gently combined with the front to come to a stop.

In slow moving traffic 10mph < the rear brake only is used to control the bike applied gently at a constant rate, if the front was used in slow moving traffic you will quickly find yourself putting your foot down and the steering often turning either left or right.

Also never use the front brake around corners, round-a-bouts, bends etc.. rear only, prepare as best as possible for corners, anyhow different topic..

In all other situations the front brake should always be used, with gradual application at not grabbing even in an emergency.

Front and rear combined as said when coming to a stop between junctions, stop light to stop light etc, the more you ride the more you'll get used to predicting when lights will change some time you can save your self move time by shifting into 1st or 2nd and slow riding it to the stop line and seeing if you can make it without having to put your foot down, when I first starting riding I used to accelerate right before the stop line, down-shift etc.. and would cause problems because I wasn't correctly prepared, and then when I took off I would be in the wrong gear and the bike would rev high.

Slow moving control takes much more skill than going fast.

You can use the front brake at any speed I personally very rarely use the rear brake its all about feel.

Also you can use the front brakes in corners anyone stating otherwise is talking nonsense in fact its an excellent skill to learn asap because you will need to do it especially if, let's use the term "making progress" all these things are personal you will find what works for you.

I was going to answer "when in a straight line" but apparently that is controversial to what techno said...

At 10mph your front would probably be an emergency stop as the rear will be your best friend through traffic.

I just changed my pads and the rear had a lot more wear - this is because most of my riding is city riding so the rear is often applied to control to bike & used more at slow speeds than the front.

But if you need to stop suddenly or quickly it's the front (/& rear together)...

... for some, like me, in a straight line lol.

Soz thats not very helpful, what Techno said is advanced stuff the bike will want to stand up so you counter steer a bit more( oops I've said it ) to keep leant over. I'd say try and do all your braking done before entering any bends, for now, but as Techno says it's a good skill to learn

Anything greater than 0 mph

Well said!

And just to clarify my comment about braking in bends was a direct reply to the poster ingingee saying never use front brakes in a bend.

Well said!

And just to clarify my comment about braking in bends was a direct reply to the poster ingingee saying never use front brakes in a bend.

I agree, I rarely touch the rear brake at all. I brake going through corners too but scrub most speed off before I hit my entry point, if that makes sense.

I rely on my rear brake on hell of a lot more than I did on the CBF I trained on, can chalk that up to dualsport forks diving like a mofo under heavy braking. Plus a single front disc just doesn't cut it when carrying a pillion and a crapload of hard luggage :shock:

That being said, my rear disc is sorely in need of replacing so I've been forced to be more reliant on the front. I take it as a good thing, forces me to adapt more to the squishy forks.

Well said!

You should never use any brake on a bend, always do your braking before you reach the bend

I would disagree, so long as you're not being a prat and thumping it on. A bit of light braking can be done sensibly as the situation demands it without any detriment.

Hypothetical scenario:

You're taking a bend and the vehicle in front suddenly and inexplicably stops or slows down dramatically; having never used the brakes on a bend before because you "aren't meant to", you are presented with three options.

1. Whack the brakes on, and lacking experience with applying the brakes while cornering, stand the bike up and go straight into the hedge or wall on the outside of the bend.

2. Smack into the back of them.

3. Tighten up and try to go around them, praying to god that nobody is about to come around the bend in the opposite direction.

And that's what riding behind BikerMoo is like :up:

Rarely use the back brake everything done with the front and engine. High speed emergency braking l might cover the rear only to stop the backend coming round whilst going down through the gears. Most bikes have enough engine brake whilst on the move to slow the rear wheel down. Even on hill starts it's a finger covering the front brake, lift the rev's feed in the clutch release brake and go.

Back brake not much use here lol

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... king+photo

As for braking in a corner, if need's be it's again on the front. The bike will have a tendency to stand up you if you not fully cranked over! Remember you should leave yourself enough room to brake within your vision of road. If you hammering into a corner cranked right over and cannot see through to the exit of the bend totally committed - cock on the block then need to brake you'll quickly find that the front wheel will try to tuck under - wash out, not nice and definitely not clever. Leave that for the track days

Edited by Chrissb6

I would disagree, so long as you're not being a prat and thumping it on. A bit of light braking can be done sensibly as the situation demands it without any detriment.

Hypothetical scenario:

You're taking a bend and the vehicle in front suddenly and inexplicably stops or slows down dramatically; having never used the brakes on a bend before because you "aren't meant to", you are presented with three options.

1. Whack the brakes on, and lacking experience with applying the brakes while cornering, stand the bike up and go straight into the hedge or wall on the outside of the bend.

2. Smack into the back of them.

3. Tighten up and try to go around them, praying to god that nobody is about to come around the bend in the opposite direction.

And that's what riding behind BikerMoo is like :up:

Option 4) don't ride so close to the vehicle in front. If a car stops on a bend then yes use your brake to stop but for normal riding you shouldn't be touching your brakes on a bend, throws the balance of the bike out

Sort of missed my point that if the only time someone ever uses the brake in the corner is when they have to make an emergency stop, the first time they have to have to do it with no prior experience they're most likely going to stand the bike up and do themself a mischief. Everything is a learning experience, but I'm generally a believer in learning in ways that don't wreck me or my bike :lol:

Each to their own, if there's more advanced riding techniques that i'm unaware of because of not having the training yet then my oversight, however.. I can only go of what information I have been provided with and feel safe in doing so, I was always told that using the rear gently around a corner would bring you tighter into a corner if you where going to wide.. as for speed, I ride a 125.. I'll let you know when I get there.

If you want to try and use you front brake around a bend then go ahead, but when the bike lowsides or tries to stand up.. I didn't advise it :D

Each to their own, if there's more advanced riding techniques that i'm unaware of because of not having the training yet then my oversight, however.. I can only go of what information I have been provided with and feel safe in doing so, I was always told that using the rear gently around a corner would bring you tighter into a corner if you where going to wide.. as for speed, I ride a 125.. I'll let you know when I get there.

If you want to try and use you front brake around a bend then go ahead, but when the bike lowsides or tries to stand up.. I didn't advise it :D

its ok, because nobody ever comes round a corner to find an obstruction in the road they need to brake for...

Dont try to stick to silly rules like "Dont brake on bends". the real world doesnt stick to the same rules....

Yes l would use this on the road, your really going to be pushing the bike to get the slipper clutch to work on the road. treat that like ABS and traction control as the last resort

Some pretty advanced stuff going on there...

But...

Would you use it on road???? Any benefit over just good downshifting?

Not particularly advanced Phil - the trickiest bit is applying constant pressure on the lever while blipping - needs a bit of practice.

I would say it's up to the rider - some (myself included) use this sort of method although I do it clutchless because I'm a pro. :-)

Regardless of the ultimate method chosen - it really should be the one that gives the most confidence not the one that is the most technically perfect.

But...

Would you use it on road???? Any benefit over just good downshifting? And finally... doesn't my slipper clutch do what this guy is doing in this video?!?

advanced :shock: not really

use it on the road yes I can do if I want and yes I have done if I was really pushing on then yes I would use it

when I started riding if you could afford a slipper clutch in a bike you was minted either that or you had bought one and made it fit and work!

you had to learn how to down shift without locking the rear whilst hard on the front brake!

But...

Would you use it on road???? Any benefit over just good downshifting? And finally... doesn't my slipper clutch do what this guy is doing in this video?!?

advanced :shock: not really

use it on the road yes I can do if I want and yes I have done if I was really pushing on then yes I would use it

when I started riding if you could afford a slipper clutch in a bike you was minted either that or you had bought one and made it fit and work!

you had to learn how to down shift without locking the rear whilst hard on the front brake!

:stupid: