when to use front brake

Guest Spenp002

not really no!

its a skill you learn rather then point and shoot :wink:

slipper clutches aren't fool proof either as they still can lock the rear it just limits the amount of lock it doesnt mean you dont have to blip the throttle

GP bikes have adjustable slipper clutches as some riders prefer the rear to lock and slide on corner entry this coupled with a bit of back brake is what they call backing it in!

and yes I have done this on the road too :shock: purely by accident and I shit myself and I dont not wish to try it again :lol: :lol:

but by heck it felt great :lol:

If you got to brake when in the corner , then you have gone into it to fast.

Or more likely some retard in a modeo decided to do a u-turn...

That's a case of ..how's your luck...

Or more likely some retard in a [strikeout]modeo[/strikeout] micra decided to do a u-turn...

You could at least get the car right... :lol:

Or more likely some retard in a [strikeout]modeo[/strikeout] micra decided to do a u-turn...

You could at least get the car right... :lol:

Yes, I hate Micras just as much...

As a newbie to riding, do you go down each gear as you brake for the corner plus blipping the throttle? Say your in 4th and its a 2nd gear corner, do you go into 3rd clutch out then into second? Or stay on the brakes and block shift straight to second when you know the bike is going slow enough to handle second gear? Im assuming the extra engine braking force from 3rd gear is a plus.

I can brake and downshift together smoothly but only ever wih 1 gear to go down.

To say you can't use a break in a bend is inaccurate but doing so safely and not make the bike stand up is a skill you have to learn.

It's best to do your breaking before the bend and get into the appropriate gear for your bike.

As to braking in general I tend to use the front and only both for emergency stops.

Don't forget you also will have some element of engine braking as well but that's prob another topic as some engine configurations are better than others. for this

As a newbie to riding, do you go down each gear as you brake for the corner plus blipping the throttle? Say your in 4th and its a 2nd gear corner, do you go into 3rd clutch out then into second? Or stay on the brakes and block shift straight to second when you know the bike is going slow enough to handle second gear? Im assuming the extra engine braking force from 3rd gear is a plus.

I can brake and downshift together smoothly but only ever wih 1 gear to go down.

Hi a motorbike gearbox is completely different to a car gearbox, you cannot block shift as you call it, the motorbike gearbox is sequential meaning you have to go up and down through the gears one after the other in sequence.

Depending on your road speed you need to enter the bend with the gear changes and braking completed. This takes away all the dynamic forces loaded onto the tyres suspension and allows the bike to return a neutral position before you commence the turn. You then ride through the turn with a small amount of throttle driving you forward.

Hi a motorbike gearbox is completely different to a car gearbox, you cannot block shift as you call it, the motorbike gearbox is sequential meaning you have to go up and down through the gears one after the other in sequence.

Depending on your road speed you need to enter the bend with the gear changes and braking completed. This takes away all the dynamic forces loaded onto the tyres suspension and allows the bike to return a neutral position before you commence the turn. You then ride through the turn with a small amount of throttle driving you forward.

So you cant go from 4th gear

cluth in

down into third

down into second

clutch out?

ie not engaging 3rd gear

So you cant go from 4th gear

cluth in

down into third

down into second

clutch out?

ie not engaging 3rd gear

Yes you can, and often you should, so long as you can maintain stability.

I don't noramally get involved in these sort of debates as everybody has their own opinion on how to ride and there are many different styles of riding that all get the job done, this one concerns me as the OP is clearly new to riding hence the reason of asking when to use the front brake.

My question to people who have posted on this thread is how many of you have gone through any form of advanced riding training?

My question to people who have posted on this thread is how many of you have gone through any form of advanced riding training?

I hope this isn't going where I think it's going.....

You're not one of those people that's about to insinuate experienced riders shouldn't be advising this sort of thing without having someone give them a certificate are you??

Changing gear is perfectly safe, braking on a corner throws your bike out of balance and reduces grip on the road. I'm not saying anything else on this as I've said my bit.

Firstly, I wasn't trying to teach anyone techniques so I'll take your previous post as "others" instead of "you" :)

I agree with you, I wouldn't brake in a corner and the occasions where I've had to, I'll straighten up and brake... but then again... I'm a new rider and probably just rubbish anyway :lol:

But... if someone knows a technique, they should be free to discuss it without having them pull out credentials.

Personally I think advanced riding courses are a waste of money when you can learn it all for free on Internet forums :lol: :lol:

I'm not trying advise anyone to brake in a corner merely that it can be done and it's a skill you must learn and not just try and apply it!

It's a good skill to have

But as the old saying goes don't run before you can walk

Discussing things like this makes it stick in your head and understanding the theory of it all gives you greater chance of surviving if you ever need to apply braking in a corner

As most will know it's amazing the things that run through your mind when the shit hits the fan and knowing how to deal with it helps greatly

As for advanced riding no I'm not an advanced rider but an advanced driver and most of the principles are the same ie observations, speed, road position etc etc what makes a good rider is good observations before anything!

Anyway I think this has gone way off topic now and I think most of us are guilty of that!!

I'm sorry but in some respects that's rubbish once again it's down to the type of riding your doing, I can Pootle around all day at normal road speeds without hardly using a brake but as we like to have a good blast then I can choose to brake into a corner, hell if we go full circle we could ride to a corner get off and push the bike round :)

Now this debate kicked off because someone said never use front brake in a corner, Now it's obvious some do and some don't that's fine it's choice neither are wrong for their choice and if no one ever pushed some of these theories or themselves to see what was possible we'd never actually improve our own riding.

Not me either, but I've been riding motorbikes now for more than 40yrs and every day a learning day.

Not me either, but I've been riding motorbikes now for more than 40yrs and every day a learning day.

Me neither, but I have ridden with and learnt from some extremely experienced riders including an ex racer who raced with sheene so I'm told, I know they are all damning quick :)

Means nothing unless you're a member of IAM...

:lol: :lol: :lol: