when to use front brake

Guest Spenp002

My question to people who have posted on this thread is how many of you have gone through any form of advanced riding training?

Not me either, but I've been riding motorbikes now for more than 40yrs and every day a learning day.

Means nothing unless you're a member of IAM...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Are all members of IAM fault free and perfect, l very much doubt it?!

My point is you have a new rider coming to you for advice and you're trying teaching him riding methods that are difficult to master and would leave somebody open to risk if they got it wrong.

Do you feel we should attempt to ascertain relative skill levels before replying to any thread, or just those threads that may outline techniques not adequately covered in the usual pre-test schema?

How are learners ever going to learn if we are to avoid exposing them to stuff they're not already aware of?

As someone cleverer than I once said to me "You never know what you don't know, until you know it".

My question to people who have posted on this thread is how many of you have gone through any form of advanced riding training?

Not me either, but I've been riding motorbikes now for more than 40yrs and every day a learning day.

Means nothing unless you're a member of IAM...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Are all members of IAM fault free and perfect, l very much doubt it?!

.....In case you missed that, it was a joke.

This is a big wide subject as some wont touch rear and some swear by it. Your taught in lessons to brake until speed is down to 4/5mph then pull up on rear brake as its smoother and more progressive, but ill be honest i have done plenty of joirneys and not touched the rear unless i need to stop quick. Feathering the front brake at low speeds and progressive at high speeds is key but you will learn your own method

I have for cars, not bikes. From what I know about advanced bike riding (I know people who have done such) is that the two are the same for cornering. They advise setting the correct speed with the brakes before entering the corner, then slight throttle through the corner and accelerate once straight.

The big difference is an emergency whereby something happens at the corner, like an obstruction. A bike cannot brake like a car can and what you are going to do on the bike is potentially try and get passed what the problem is rather than try and stop. So get upright, brake using the back brake and do not fixate on the target, you are going past it.

Or more likely some retard in a [strikeout]modeo[/strikeout] micra decided to do a u-turn...

You could at least get the car right... :lol:

Yes, I hate Micras just as much...

Mini and Qashqai. Feckin' HATE Qashqai drivers, shouldn't be allowed on the damn road! :evil:

personal preference plays a huge part once you are competent, as seen here... I personally have a very strong relationship with the rear brake, as im a shortarse who cant touch the floor, therefore I need to be able to stabilise the bike at will, and the rear does that \( with experience and practice) , but I also use the front when its appropriate...and im not going to tell you when that is... it will differ with your speed, experience , even riding style......learn to use both.. both independently and together...then do what works for you , and the current situation....don't be caught out by not having tried things that you may later need to rely on

If you got to brake when in the corner , then you have gone into it to fast.

I'm sorry but in some respects that's rubbish once again it's down to the type of riding your doing, I can Pootle around all day at normal road speeds without hardly using a brake but as we like to have a good blast then I can choose to brake into a corner, hell if we go full circle we could ride to a corner get off and push the bike round :)

Now this debate kicked off because someone said never use front brake in a corner, Now it's obvious some do and some don't that's fine it's choice neither are wrong for their choice and if no one ever pushed some of these theories or themselves to see what was possible we'd never actually improve our own riding.

if your braking in the corner your going faster than you should be or want to be, get your speed right approaching it, if you practice that and get that right, then that's got to be safer than applying brakes in the corner.

Bet you go through your boots quick getting off and pushing it round.

Here you go, go and get the Hoody - t shirt

https://fabrily.com/dropknee?s=4&c=1&ppe=uk55+m

That's a hoody.

With an option in the drop down menu to have it printed on a hoody instead.

You're about as fun as a ball pit full of rusty nails, huh? :lol:

a t shirt instead you mean .... And at least I don't look like a cross between one of the muppets and lady ga ga

• 2 months later...
Sort of missed my point that if the only time someone ever uses the brake in the corner is when they have to make an emergency stop, the first time they have to have to do it with no prior experience they're most likely going to stand the bike up and do themself a mischief. Everything is a learning experience, but I'm generally a believer in learning in ways that don't wreck me or my bike :lol:

Always been told to never use the brakes on a bend exept in an emergency, and to get the braking out of the way and the bike set up for the bend before you enter it. That said there are bikes out now with cornering ABS so it is now possible to use them. Did read once though where someone recommened dragging the back brake through the bend helps to control the bike? Your choice I guess and what suites you in any given situation.

At the end of the day though, ABS isn't some kind of witchcraft that lets the bike achieve things it otherwise couldn't do - just stops you locking the brakes, and in the case of the cornering variety does so while taking your lean angle into account and redistributing braking force appropriately. So it stands to reason that as long as you don't slam the brakes on too hard, or distribute your braking force badly, you can still do the job yourself. Admittedly not quite as well, but at the end of the day if your bike doesn't have cornering ABS then it's better to have the option of doing a mediocre job without assistance than not using your brakes at all :lol:

Of course, an ABS system is programmed to do it and will do it with pinpoint accuracy every time. But a rider would need to learn... which is why my stance is "it's a valuable skill to practise when you don't need it so you've got the hang of it ready for when you do".

Edited by RantMachine

That said there are bikes out now with cornering ABS so it is now possible to use them.

At the end of the day though, ABS isn't some kind of witchcraft that lets the bike achieve things it otherwise couldn't do - just stops you locking the brakes, and in the case of the cornering variety does so while taking your lean angle into account and redistributing braking force appropriately. So it stands to reason that as long as you don't slam the brakes on too hard, or distribute your braking force badly, you can still do the job yourself. Admittedly not quite as well, but at the end of the day if your bike doesn't have cornering ABS then it's better to have the option of doing a mediocre job without assistance than not using your brakes at all :lol:

Of course, an ABS system is programmed to do it and will do it with pinpoint accuracy every time. But a rider would need to learn... which is why my stance is "it's a valuable skill to practise when you don't need it so you've got the hang of it ready for when you do".

Out of interest I Googled cornering ABS, to see which bike had it 'cause I couldn't remember and Google came up with the KTM 1190 Adventure. There was also loads of helpful info and video's about using brakes when cornering. Some of the info was from advanced riders.