Scotland advice please

Tankbag

Hi good TMBF folks, I'm off the Scotland in May this year, I've never been before and I would be most grateful for any knowledge / suggestions on places to visit, best roads etc. I'm B & B ing near The University of Edinburgh King's Buildings Campus for a week then moving up to ,Stirling, Perthshire for a few more days.

Thanks in advance :cheers:

When faced by the locals: Stay downwind at all times, move away slowly while maintaining eye contact if presented with confrontation, and if you have food keep it suspended 12 feet from the ground between two trees.

Oh wait, that's bears.

Scots you have to stay upwind to avoid the smell :up:

When faced by the locals: Stay downwind at all times, move away slowly while maintaining eye contact if presented with confrontation, and if you have food keep it suspended 12 feet from the ground between two trees.

Oh wait, that's bears.

Scots you have to stay upwind to avoid the smell :up:

Ooooo that's nasty :shock: :shock: :D

Hi good TMBF folks, I'm off the Scotland in May this year, I've never been before and I would be most grateful for any knowledge / suggestions on places to visit, best roads etc. I'm B & B ing near The University of Edinburgh King's Buildings Campus for a week then moving up to ,Stirling, Perthshire for a few more days.

Thanks in advance :cheers:

Oban via Inverary, then on to Glencoe and Bridge of Orchy returning to Sterling via Crianlarich and Callender where you need to call in at Mohr Fish for the best f&c in the UK

Most of the roads north of the Clyde are great mate and some to the south . Allow a lot of time to return from some of the more outlying islands and towns as there are few direct routes in the highlands. If you go to Campbeltown on the Kintyre peninsula, try the World Famous spicy haggis tortilla chips at the big pub near the oval roundabout. Beware of foreign drivers on your side of the road and use the little ferries to reduce journey times. Gimme a bell for a chat. I loved every mile of it.

Most of the roads north of the Clyde are great mate and some to the south . Allow a lot of time to return from some of the more outlying islands and towns as there are few direct routes in the highlands. If you go to Campbeltown on the Kintyre peninsula, try the World Famous spicy haggis tortilla chips at the big pub near the oval roundabout. Beware of foreign drivers on your side of the road and use the little ferries to reduce journey times. Gimme a bell for a chat. I loved every mile of it.

Cheers Alan, will do :-)

Edinburgh gives lots of options.

South; A701, A702, A7 and A68 all close although A68 has too much speed monitoring.

Get to these from the Edinburgh by-pass.

North; options after crossing the Forth Road Bridge for a loop through Fife, use the coastal route and go to St Andrews.

Again heading North from Perth you can head up the West or East paths.

West is Crieff, Loch Earn, up the A82 and on to the Great Glen (glen Coe) with options for a loop around Oban.

East side is up through Blairgowrie, Braemar, Ballater up towards Granton on Spey.

These are bigger runs but can be done in a full day.

My recommendation would be West side and if short of time make sure you do the great glen.

The Sma Glen is between Crieff and Dunkeld (smaller route, roads and experience).

Finally the Haggi won't cause you any problems as they will be in hibernation by then but their furry bretheren in the form of sheep and deer won't. The sheep will use the roads as they see fit as they have not worked out that grass does not grow on tarmac yet (they are often free to roam) and the deer will leap across the road with gay abandon, usually in wide open sections but they have been known to come through hedges - so keep a careful eye.

Hopefully weather wil be fine and whatever you do enjoy.

OldBadger

Edinburgh gives lots of options.

South; A701, A702, A7 and A68 all close although A68 has too much speed monitoring.

Get to these from the Edinburgh by-pass.

North; options after crossing the Forth Road Bridge for a loop through Fife, use the coastal route and go to St Andrews.

Again heading North from Perth you can head up the West or East paths.

West is Crieff, Loch Earn, up the A82 and on to the Great Glen (glen Coe) with options for a loop around Oban.

East side is up through Blairgowrie, Braemar, Ballater up towards Granton on Spey.

These are bigger runs but can be done in a full day.

My recommendation would be West side and if short of time make sure you do the great glen.

The Sma Glen is between Crieff and Dunkeld (smaller route, roads and experience).

Finally the Haggi won't cause you any problems as they will be in hibernation by then but their furry bretheren in the form of sheep and deer won't. The sheep will use the roads as they see fit as they have not worked out that grass does not grow on tarmac yet (they are often free to roam) and the deer will leap across the road with gay abandon, usually in wide open sections but they have been known to come through hedges - so keep a careful eye.

Hopefully weather wil be fine and whatever you do enjoy.

OldBadger

Thanks Oldbadger very comprehensive :-)

The A82 is the best road imo, I took it on the way to Inverness, and from there I picked up the A9 up to Thurso when I was trying to get to John O Groats again.

The only problems you will have is the language barrier, like asking where an atm is will usually get the response "Aye, ye wanne gor to tha coup" this coup was actually referring to the Co-op shop but the pronunciation in one word completely threw me :lol:

The other problem is how fast Scotland is, I wouldn't go into the more remote parts unless my bike had a 200 mile tank range as on a 300 mile tank range 125 I was left sweating on a couple of days when I chanced it.

And lastly, if they start shouting, remain calm... They probably just like you and are interested :lol:

The A82 is the best road imo, I took it on the way to Inverness, and from there I picked up the A9 up to Thurso when I was trying to get to John O Groats again.

The only problems you will have is the language barrier, like asking where an atm is will usually get the response "Aye, ye wanne gor to tha coup" this coup was actually referring to the Co-op shop but the pronunciation in one word completely threw me :lol:

The other problem is how fast Scotland is, I wouldn't go into the more remote parts unless my bike had a 200 mile tank range as on a 300 mile tank range 125 I was left sweating on a couple of days when I chanced it.

And lastly, if they start shouting, remain calm... They probably just like you and are interested :lol:

Cheers Fozzie, my tank range could be a pain then :-(

Cheers Fozzie, my tank range could be a pain then :-(

http://www.smartsuburbansurvival.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/jerrycan.jpg + http://www.reefscuba.com/images/bungee_cord_plastic_hooks.jpg=????

Old Badger has given you a great list. Based in Edinburgh I would suggest riding there by Carter Bar and the A68. Just watch for the speed cameras. Then do the Borders, Fife and D&G going to where this years tags are. Previous tag sites on super roads in that area are the B797 Wanlockhead and the B709 Eskdalemuir.

You do not need to do the Highlands and too many people miss out great roads to get there. This site has some cracking routes to do in the south west and east, as well as further north.

http://www.motorcyclescotland.com/routes/

When you shift to Stirling I would suggest the Cairngorm loop. This is the traditional route which includes the horrible A9. You can also ride the B970 which runs from Kingussie to Nethy Bridge.

http://greatmotorcycleroutes.co.uk/cairngorms-loop/

If you are based Edinburgh and Stirling, I would not waste time riding through great areas to get to the classic Highland roads such as Glen Coe. Save that for another time when you can base yourself some where west and north.

Old Badger has given you a great list. Based in Edinburgh I would suggest riding there by Carter Bar and the A68. Just watch for the speed cameras. Then do the Borders, Fife and D&G going to where this years tags are. Previous tag sites on super roads in that area are the B797 Wanlockhead and the B709 Eskdalemuir.

You do not need to do the Highlands and too many people miss out great roads to get there. This site has some cracking routes to do in the south west and east, as well as further north.

http://www.motorcyclescotland.com/routes/

When you shift to Stirling I would suggest the Cairngorm loop. This is the traditional route which includes the horrible A9. You can also ride the B970 which runs from Kingussie to Nethy Bridge.

http://greatmotorcycleroutes.co.uk/cairngorms-loop/

If you are based Edinburgh and Stirling, I would not waste time riding through great areas to get to the classic Highland roads such as Glen Coe. Save that for another time when you can base yourself some where west and north.

Great info thanks Throttled :-)

• 3 weeks later...
Oban via Inverary, then on to Glencoe and Bridge of Orchy returning to Sterling via Crianlarich and Callender where you need to call in at Mohr Fish for the best f&c in the UK

You beat me to it but I'd also add a run from Oban to Fort William then out to Malaig past the Harry Potter railway viaduct for a ferry over to Skye and returning via the Skye Bridge and back yo Fort William via Spean Bridge and the Commando Memorial. Adds a few miles but superb roads and scenery.