Which 125 for a 30-mile round-trip commute into London?

Guest aytri

<t>Which learner-legal 125 for a 30-mile round-trip commute into London?</t>  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which learner-legal 125 for a 30-mile round-trip commute into London?

• Yamaha YBR125 - £2,599
    • Honda CBF125 - £2,699
    • Honda SH125i - £3,099
    • Something else... explain below!

Any of them.

If you go for a geared 125, though, you'll need to look after it doing that kind of mileage. Clean and lube the chain frequently and make sure to keep the shiny parts clean and sprayed with acf50.

125s don't cope well with neglect.

If you go for a geared 125, though, you'll need to look after it doing that kind of mileage.

I reckon I'll be doing around 6,500-7,000 miles a year. Would an automatic scooter like the SH125i be easier to look after?

If you go for a geared 125, though, you'll need to look after it doing that kind of mileage.

I reckon I'll be doing around 6,500-7,000 miles a year. Would an automatic scooter like the SH125i be easier to look after?

Yes, it would, as you've got a belt drive rather than a chain.

I've got a 250cc scoot as my commuter and do very similar mileage, about 30miles a day. Copes very well.

Of course, it depends what you're after. If you want that proper 'bike' experience, get the YBR or the CBF and put up with the increases maintenance :)

The distance you're going to be travelling each time is quite a distance, I'm not sure what the service mileage is outside of chinese 125's are but you'd soon reach the first service interval, looking for something that has decently spaced intervals would ensure you're not forking out for a service a week or so after purchase.. so I'd say stay away from lexmoto, keeway, pulse etc.. although the bikes that you're listing are expensive options, so I don't think budget base will of entered your mind.

Your height also plays a factor, I'm 6'1 and own a chinese 125.. me and the mirrors have never gotten on so I rely on shoulder checks mainly, sitting on the bike and getting used the controls will tell you witch one feels best in your hands.. some manufactures offer test riders even for 125, might be worth a try when you've narrowed it down just to be sure.

Also depends on what type of bike you want, supermoto, commuter, sports etc.. also bare in mind that no matter what 125 you buy they all have their limit on speed and power, some defiantly do this better than others.

The more information you provide about what you feel is your best choice at the moment the more advice you can get, asking for bikes to be listed is as good as google search "what bike can I ride on a CBT".. need more information.

Of course, it depends what you're after. If you want that proper 'bike' experience, get the YBR or the CBF and put up with the increases maintenance :)

Not looking for a "bike" experience particularly... I just want a hassle-free commute. I want to be off the trains so badly, that's the main thing :lol:

It seems like a scooter might be the way to go then... any 125s you'd recommend?

Your height also plays a factor.

I'm 1.74m (5'9" in old money!)

Also depends on what type of bike you want, supermoto, commuter, sports etc. The more information you provide about what you feel is your best choice at the moment the more advice you can get, asking for bikes to be listed is as good as google search "what bike can I ride on a CBT".. need more information.

At the moment I feel like the best thing is going to be either a scooter (because it's practical), or a commuter. I think a supermoto or a sports-type 125 is going to be pointless for me, since I'm only going to use it to do that commute. But I'm really not sure... this is all new to me :D

Anything Japanese would do you, scooterwise.

Cheap and cheerful = Yamaha Vity. They have a low seat height and get 100mpg all day long.

Something a bit quicker would be a BWS or, as you've already mentioned, an SH.

Hmmm... I always think that people that aren't into bikes end up being people I really don't want to be behind... or in front of... or to the side! :lol:

Just make sure you look everywhere all the time and don't be an idiot out there, any will be fine.

Personally, if it was for commuting only. I'd go for the cbf For comfort and better mpg.

As you just want a "hastle free commute" then it sounds like your far away from making a choice, the want to get of a train doesn't mean that you're ready for a motorbike (given the distance and traffic in london), I assume you've passed your CBT?

Also at that distance I'm going to recommended that you invest in a decent breakdown cover, you soon find out the true weight of your bike when it runs out of power miles from home *cough cough*, not fun to push (and yes I pushed it to avoid a call out charge).

I think bearing in mind how quickly you've gone from £3000 125cc's to scooters, you're changing your mind quickly, look into it a bit more before investing.. although I'm sure the advice here will take care of that.

I think bearing in mind how quickly you've gone from £3000 125cc's to scooters, you're changing your mind quickly, look into it a bit more before investing.. although I'm sure the advice here will take care of that.

I'm open to both - my original poll included a scooter and two bikes. I'm just looking for some advice. I feel like the scooter would be more practical, but the bikes more interesting. I was just hoping someone could offer some useful advice :)

CBF125 out of those options for a 30 mile slog. A YBR has no weather protection at all, and has no difference in power so you should go for the one with fairing!

But for £2.5k you can get a very good condition new shape CBR125R which has better suspension, more power and wider tyres. Get that one :thumb:

Not looking for a "bike" experience particularly...

Hah! You say this now... :popcorn:

CBF would be my pick. Good little bike, crazy economy, nippy enough for a short commute. It's not really that terrible to have to keep up with maintenance on a 30 mile commute; I used to do a 25 mile commute on my 125 every day and just as many leisure miles, and the only health defects my bike experienced were by virtue of being Chinese rather than lack of care :lol:

Not looking for a "bike" experience particularly...

Hah! You say this now... :popcorn:

Haha! It's not that I don't want it... I feel like learning to ride a geared bike will be fun, but once the initial fun is over and done with, I don't want it to be a hassle in town. I just want something nice and easy. If that something also happens to be a geared bike, so be it :D

A geared bike won't be a hassle in town. A ybr or CBF will be an absolute doddle to ride once you're used to it.

In fact, in my own experience, a geared bike is easier to ride slow in traffic than a scooter.

A scooter just tends to provide better storage and weather protection.

I bought a 63-plate YBR125 from a Yamaha dealer today, 9,000 miles on it. £1,650, which seemed a good deal to me.

Now I need to get some gear...

Can't wait to get out there! Thanks for everyone's advice so far.

• 2 weeks later...