GSX-R1000 K6

Matt Strange

A few initial impressions as I've only had it a few days, I can't comment on track day stuff, road practicality, distance touring use, tank range etc.

The typical slightly ropey Suzuki finish is there, the paint has worn thin in place and the fairings are like food trays, particularly around the tail end. Comfy for my long bodied, short legged 6ft frame though (31 inside leg lol). I can definitely see/feel how much of this bike ended up in the BMW S1000rr too, having taken one on a test ride in 2012.

It is a surprisingly nice road bike so far, nice torque for overtaking slow traffic in 60 zones, keep it in third, twist throttle, wizz past car and on to the next one. Every bit as effortless as a newer bike with a few more HP, was expecting it to be more "toppy" in the power delivery.

It has a few nice features (for its age) like gear indicator and a shift light.

Enjoying it more than I thought I would given my bike history :)

they are great bikes. cost per performance, you cant beat the Gixxer.

yes the plastics are a bit flimsy, but it doesn't matter if your replacing them all with racing fairings anyway.

And yes, its clear BMW based the S1K on the gixxer. if i was buying a track bike, it would have to be a gixxer (unless i had the sponsorship/budget to finance a BMW)

I've managed to source another set of black OEM fairings, between them and the ones already on the bike, I now have a near mint set to put to one side. I'll use the ropey set for track and I have a proper back headlight protector, plus the tailtidy unbolts with two fasterners so making the bike look "track" is extremly easy. Also I've managed to get a Yoshimura slip-on & a set of red/black RSV levers 2nd hand (but unused)

£600 for the lot, very happy with that :)

• 2 months later...

Now that I've had it a bit longer:

I'm quite amazed by how practical a road bike the gsxr has been, not quite as much as the 95 blade and its larger accessory compartment but still good. If you have the pillion seat installed, it's just wide enough to take a a well stuffed tail pack (I stick a thin sheet of ply inside to make a hard bottom and then proceed to put my stuff on top of that). To top it off, the riding position is slightly easier on my knees, surprising but true :).

Fuel economy is good, on a long run at decent speeds it will do at least 140miles to the light, with about another 30-40 in reserve. 18 litre tank. I like how it automatically sets a reserve trip metre when the light comes on too, a good feature. And it has a clock which is something you don't know how much you miss until you ride an older bike again!

Track use so far has been hampered by the fact that I was on the same rear tyre that the previous owner had well & truly squared off, going down the main straight @ cadwell park was like the space shuttle on re-entry over 100mph, not nice :). New tyres fitted, looking forward to another session somewhere. Everything else was fine, especially the suspension which is firm for a Japanese bike but it does have K-Tech internals.

Servicing is simple enough, the spark plugs are easy to change & the cam cover is accessible which isn't the case on some sportsbikes. The throttle bodies are easy to balance, the tps is easy to set and even the secondary butterflies aren't that bad.

For the money I paid for it (£3600) I can't think of a better all round bike. Shame the finish and build quality is a bit poor.

• 2 weeks later...

I must admit to getting a bit bored of the bike now, sensible road riding benefits from a bike with more "character" than this one. Sure it's comfy, way more than fast enough, reasonably economical, it even looks quite nice.

It suffers from that typical "IL4 dullness" in my experience, the Yoshimura doesn't even sound that great with the baffles out. I do like the induction roar but that really doesn't last very long getting up to only 70mph :)

Think I need a twin again...

• 1 month later...

I've been a bit hard on the bike, with this better weather I'm enjoying it a lot more. Suzuki certainly made the competition look average in 05, this bike is very well balanced & confidence giving through the turns.

I think I've blown some of the wadding out of the exhaust because it sounds much better, a little louder and it even pops/bangs a bit now.

I think I've blown some of the wadding out of the exhaust because it sounds much better, a little louder and it even pops/bangs a bit now.

Check its not come loose. Pops and bangs can mean an air leak in the exhaust. Fresh air gets in, mixes with the unburnt fuel and with the heat goes bang!

Yeah, I had a look because I thought the retaining clamp might have moved but it's a very good quality Yoshimura part with a nylock nut.

Nothing seems to leak with my hand over the end of the silencer. I think it's just "broken in" now I've done a 1,000 miles with it fitted, the bike ran very rich with the standard end can.

there is a lot of models that have them not just US

canadian swish french and german to name a few

they dont rob any power at all

all it does is add air to the exhaust from the air box on closed throttle for emissions tests :thumb:

the advantage of removing them if fitted is to stop the popping, lose a touch of weight and a bit tidier set up :)

there is a lot of models that have them not just US

canadian swish french and german to name a few

they dont rob any power at all

all it does is add air to the exhaust from the air box on closed throttle for emissions tests :thumb:

the advantage of removing them if fitted is to stop the popping, lose a touch of weight and a bit tidier set up :)

Would it be the same PAIR as on the busa ? cos if it is the positive side of keeping it is the afterburner effect your oppo sees following you :lol:

yup same system

it was the same on the TL I had too

this FJR has one too only its called a secondary air injection system .......its coming off over the winter

different manufacturers call them different things

You can't remove PAIR if fitted to a gsxr of this age as it will cause the FI light to come on with a code 49, unless the ECU can be flashed(?) to delete the pair control software. The ECU switches the solenoid on/off via the earth side of the circuit and if it doesn't register a voltage on the earth side (solenoid stuck or removed) then the error is displayed.

there will be a way to bypass it

probably just leave the electrics on and remove the air pipes

if it is fitted to yours I wouldn't bother as there really is no gain

unless you can't stand the popping