chain issues

mealexme

So, I've ordered a new chain/sprockets due to the old one having lots of kinks in it due to the scottoiler getting blocked up.

Those kinks mean that the chain has gotten WAY too tight, to the point where there is no slack, even after loosening the wheel off quite a bit, and I think its been like that for a while

The question is, what damage could this have caused to various components (other than the chain and sprockets), and how do you check for those issues? I hear it could damage the crankshaft etc?

Many thanks

Whoever told you it can damage the crank is an idiot :mrgreen:

Try the output shaft on the gearbox at worse you will kill the bearing

You will know if it's gone as it will whine

I have never known one to actually fail I wouldn't worry too much

I just came back to recorrect that. Yea, thats the shaft I meant, not the crank :spank:

Well, the front sprocket does click when moved by hand. I'm hoping its just worn now, rather than the bearings :?

So, the new chain is on, all lubed up nicely, everything is tightened to spec etc, but I'm still getting the clicking noise.

Did it make that noise before?

Am I being paranoid?

There is no oil as far as I can tell. No evidence of it leaking in the past anyway. I can definitely hear it whilst on the bike, now I'm not wearing earplugs or listening to music, but I'm not sure if I'm just kidding myself into thinking about it, or if that noise was there before and I just didn't notice it. The rear sprocket doesn't make any noise though, which makes me think theres an issue

Anyway, heres the vid of the sound.

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd519/mealexme/th_20150206_121849_zps6ybd4pkx.mp4

Thanks guys, i hope your right.

I'll have another look at it on the stands. I'm fairly sure the wheel is aligned as i reset it and aligned both sides equally when i put the new chain on

Now all i need to worry about is the can chain tensioner and front wheel bearing (i have the parts, just need to fit them)

Good damn service had eaten all my money

so, this noise has REALLY been bugging me recently. It definitely wasn't there before I ran with a knackard (and way, way, WAAAYYYY too tight) chain for months on end. The noise is definitely coming from the sprocket area rather than any guides or anything, but I took the front sprocket off and ran it un-loaded up to "50mph" according to the speedo and volla, no noise.

I guess that, combined with the fact there is no oil means its 100% not the bearing, unless it would only make a noise when loaded with the chain attached.

Sorry, I get paranoid easily, especially when it comes to my pride, joy and only transport and when it can be something supposedly so expensive to fix that people opt to buy new engines rather than get it fixed

Anyway, side note - my YBR used to have a little device on the front wheel to tell how fast it was spinning. Do "newer" bikes have it connected up to the output shaft and work out how fast your going vs which gear your in or something?

Or is it just magic? Because I certainly wasn't going 50mph on my ABBA stand!