Scottoiler

(Moved this to right location :D)

Looking at investing in one of these devices.. Are they fairly easy to use/fit? They claim it extends chain life by 2-7 times.. not sure how legit that is? Any bad sides (except starting cost)

bad sides - It gets clogged up quickly in the winter. I've had two on different bikes in the past, both of them got clogged.

They are great for the summer, I have no issues with them at all, infact I would recommend them if you are only doing summer miles, but as soon as the winter gets here, the mud flings up on your wheels, the salt starts attacking everything, thats when the tubes get clogged

bad sides - It gets clogged up quickly in the winter. I've had two on different bikes in the past, both of them got clogged.

They are great for the summer, I have no issues with them at all, infact I would recommend them if you are only doing summer miles, but as soon as the winter gets here, the mud flings up on your wheels, the salt starts attacking everything, thats when the tubes get clogged

I've had a scottoiler fitted for 6 years and have never had this happen. Maybe try resiting the outlet?

Scott Oiler. Put one on every one of my bike's. Just a tip. I kept loosing the needle out of the delivery end. So with a bit of thought. I got a bit of plastic tubing from my local iron monger. That fitted over the needle holder. The inside bore is a lot bigger. Now with some hot water, dip the tube in to the water and soften it up. Luckley I had some galvanise wire. Slotted that down the warm tube. Bend in to the shape you want. Let it cool down. Fit over needle holder. Now cut a diagonal cut across the end of the tube, so it fit's up against the sprocket. Now what you have is a flexible tube that will not get caught in the chain when you push the bike back, and pull the needle out. The in side bore is bigger so it woun't get blocked. Done that on every one of my bike's, worked a treat. Next tip. Rather than run the scoot oil through the oiler. I use some old engine oil. Work's just as well, and get ride of a small quantity of old oil.

Hope that help's.

John933

I have a Scottoiler on both my bikes and I've never had a block

I fitted the Bonnie one myself and it was very easy with downloaded instructions. As I fitted it fairly soon after I got the bike so I couldn't really say if it prolonged the life but I replaced my chain and sprockets last year and they still had plenty of life left in them (wanted a gold DID chain) Only done 17000m on them though

Bought my R1 with the scottoiler fitted. Didn't need to adjust the chain the oil ran out :)

Got a 700 mile trip coming up and a 2k one - definitely will come in handy for that.

Negatives - makes my bike look like it has an oil leak and generally just makes a mess, even on minimum.

It is a good bit of kit, and worth having.

I had one on my Trophy900.......previous owner lost the bit of black tube that directs the oil onto the sprocket, so he contacted the manufacturer and they sent him a coil of the tubing about 3ft long FOC.......excellent customer service..... 8-) I never had a problem with it during the 5 years I had the bike.......would definitely recommend them...... 8-)

My dad swears by them, he had one on his old tdm as he was commuting 80 miles a day he said it keeps the chain clean and deffo makes it last. There is different viscosity oils for summer and winter to use. Set up correct i hear theres no other option

I'm using one. Very easy to install, no need to connect to vacuum lines or electrics.

An added bonus is that there is no oil spill if the bike is stationary, even with the engine running.

Also costs less than scottoiler.

Recommended!

could never get the fecker to work properly on mine - but then i didn't have the instructions and didn't really have the patience. Then one day i was getting the bike on an axle stand and crushed the fecker. it was never going to work after that so i spend an hour or so removing it and cleaning. about 2 days after that some douche stole my bike.

so not the greatest story about them - but i've heard mainly positive things - especially from those who use throughout the winter.

I fill the reservoir with oil and two weeks don't care - the chain is self lubricated. In the winter you have to adjust the flow by a quarter turn, as the oil is thicker but that's a three second job. Filling it with oil - one minute job.

Saves time - that's a fact. Also constantly lubricating the chain helps keeping it clean. There is no black mud on it at all.

It does make the rim and the chain guard messy a little, but I wash the bike once a month anyway, so it's not a problem.