RF 600 issues

KrisValentine

Can anyone please tell me why all of a sudden while riding mu rf 600 lost power? The exhaust got 10 times louder and raspy, and my oil and fuel lights are coming on?

It has oil to the correct level, fuel in the tank and is well looked after. Everytime I slow down to a stop and pull the clutch in the oil and fuel light comes on, and fades away when i set off again, all while delivering very little power.

Thanks

odd thing is it was fine, I dropped a gear and overtook a few cars, on approach to the next round about the power loss started and by the time I got to b and q the lights started as I drew the clutch. Could it be overheating? I did put a radiator cover on to make it look nice. beowolf one from ebay.

Is it running on all cylinders? If you're getting lights on at idle then that suggests that the tick over is dipping low. Excess noise and lack of power tells me you could be down a cylinder.

would losing a cylinder be a bike life ender? or is it fixable? ill try increasing the tick over speed.

it was pretty warm outside when I started the bike, so I didnt choke it. bit like I said it rode fine for 10mins. could it be lack of air intake or the fact I changed the clutch lever?

If it is down one it's not necessarily game over - it depends why it's not working. Could be something simple like spark plug or ignition coil. It could also be something more sinister. The easiest way of checking is to take the tank and airbox off, start it up and carefully remove the plug leads one at a time and see whether the engine runs worse or the same with that lead removed (high voltage is involved here so you may want to wear insulated gloves and/or avoid touching anything metallic on the bike).

If you find it runs the same with one of the leads off, cut the engine and take that plug out. If it's wet then it might be your coil/lead, if it's black then your fuelling is off, if it's smashed to pieces you should start looking for a new engine.

I can't see how changing the clutch lever would have done anything unless the cable is really tight so the clutch has been slipping something chronic.

Whatever it is, I'd avoid riding it until you've traced the fault.

A vid of it running would be handy. :-)