Rail prices truly are crazy!

XmisterIS

I am shortly off to London on business for 2 nights / 3 days. It turns out that on balance, to drive to central London and pay £1/hour parking, continuously, for the whole 3 days, will cost me £12 ***LESS*** than a peak-time 3-day return on the train (unless I want to restrict myself to one train only on the outward and return legs), and that's including petrol costs and the congestion charge.

So much for the Government's "sustainable transport policy", which rhymes with "joke".

Travel after 9:30 and its cheaper.

Only book your to and from trains then use a contactless visa or oyster card to get around on the tubes/busses.

You dont need a three day travel card!

Travel after 9:30 and its cheaper.

Only book your to and from trains then use a contactless visa or oyster card to get around on the tubes/busses.

You dont need a three day travel card!

Would that I could! I need to be *in* London, with bum on seat in venue by 9.30am, and I can't say when I'll be leaving on the third day. So the upshot is, if you need to book at train that is at a sensible time for the working day, you will pay through the nose for it.

Going down to excel bike show friday not looking for ward to the £30 ish ticket to get about. Would go on my bike but cba to lug my shit around all day :D

SOUNDS LIKE A JOB FOR 32 LITRE ALU PANNIERS :lol:

http://img01.naturum.ne.jp/usr/k/r/a/kranke/DSC_2316.jpg

Hate london with a passion, good job i have no need to go there anymore, if i went for any kind of training when i lived in luton a peak ticket return the same day would cost me around £30

This is how I feel...

"yaaaay I'm on good money... but everything is 3 times more expensive... F**K!".

It has its upsides, buying bikes from the north leaves both me and the seller laughing all the way to the bank, holidays are much more affordable and the work is good... But the quality of life is poor.

Xmister, just be glad you get to leave it at the end of it all :lol:

well i quite like London. ive been working in the city for about 12 years and find it a great place to work.

The fact that most people get a train in means everyone is up for a drink after work. :cheers:

I find the people in london are pretty friendly too - i often get talking to random people.

Certainly a lot nicer place to work than Southampton where i grew up.... in Southampton, if you say the wrong thing to a stranger or look at his woman for a split second too long, you will get glassed!!!

well i quite like London. ive been working in the city for about 12 years and find it a great place to work.

The fact that most people get a train in means everyone is up for a drink after work. :cheers:

I find the people in london are pretty friendly too - i often get talking to random people.

Certainly a lot nicer place to work than Southampton where i grew up.... in Southampton, if you say the wrong thing to a stranger or look at his woman for a split second too long, you will get glassed!!!

I agree on the work front though most people I work with are contractors who live outside of London so no such luck for after work drinks.

I find the exact opposite with random peoples social skills! You could be stabbed and the person opposite wouldn't look up from their phone :lol:

The best I've had is a man who had a dog called Alfie but this was out in Surrey!

I grew up up north in Lymm however, where if you walk past a dog walker on a cold day and your dog sniffs theres you usually stop for a chat, people look for an excuse to have a quick chat. So a bit on the safer side than Southampton :lol:

Well I'm from Cambridge, and I live in Cambridge. I can talk to strangers, walk dogs, or look at other people's girlfriends, and it makes no difference... they're still a bunch of good for nothing Starbucks swilling hipsters with sailor tattoos and dodgy beards :evil:

You must hang around with the "trendies" then Ollie.

I also dislike London - I worked in Lewisham, Catford, Old Kent Road, Brixton and a few other places for ~4 years all in and couldn't wait to get away form the place. I never caught a bus or train unless I was on the lash - always took the bike. The only time I had any trouble getting about was 7th July 2005 and a coupule of years when it kaked it down with snow.

I grew up in London, but moved to Aaaaaam'shur about 14 years ago. Today, one of the delegates on my course said, "I thought you were from down that way, you've got a bit of a Hampshire accent". So I guess that makes me an Aaaaaaam'shur boy now. I don't mind. London has succeeded in giving me a thumping headache in just one day! I miss the trees. And the trac'rrs. And the cumboine aaaaav'strs. And the sheep. The less said about the sheep, the better ... :oops:

I grew up in London, but moved to Aaaaaam'shur about 14 years ago. Today, one of the delegates on my course said, "I thought you were from down that way, you've got a bit of a Hampshire accent". So I guess that makes me an Aaaaaaam'shur boy now. I don't mind. London has succeeded in giving me a thumping headache in just one day! I miss the trees. And the trac'rrs. And the cumboine aaaaav'strs. And the sheep. The less said about the sheep, the better ... :oops:

Is this where we get a shock twist on the species MrsXmister belongs to? :lol: