Painting internal walls: roller or sprayer?

MarkW

Hi folks

Now that the extensive plastering has dried I am faced with having to paint it all - hallway, stairs, landing and two bedrooms!

I thought I'd invest in one of those pressure-fed rollers, but when I looked on the Screwfix website I found that domestic paint sprayers seem to be the thing. Has anybody used one of these, and if so what were the results like? Looks as though it might be faster than a roller, and also a better way of accessing hard-to-reach areas.

Cheers!

I beg to differ Ollie. :shock:

From my on-going experience with painting stuff, I'd say you can get a really nice finish with the HVLP sprayers if you can get the paint thinned just right. The big downside to sprayers is that they get mist everywhere unless you mask everything up - then again you can get loads of splatter with a roller too.

For me, unless I'm doing a whole room the same colour, I'd get the roller out. :-)

First couple of coats of paint need to be a watered down "mist coat" that will be sucked into the dry plaster before applying the final coats.

Use a roller - the spray will go everywhere and if its one if those sprayers with their own paint cartridges you'll pay a fortune on paint.

My answer is to ask the advice of the friendly lesbians who live at the end of the road.. act like I haven't a clue and before you can say 'dip me in honey' they're round sleeves rolled up.. biceps flexing and half way through.

same goes for plumbing, electrics, bricklaying and sundry gardening tasks...

Roller for us as well. We paint the inside of our house every three years but it is all white walls and celiling so it is straightforward. A retired Painter nearby tried one of the spray things and said it was more trouble than it was worth, unless you buy pro gear have a decent compressor and know how to thin the paint properly.

Anyway, leave the painting, you have a Dalek to build! :lol:

My answer is to ask the advice of the friendly lesbians who live at the end of the road.. act like I haven't a clue and before you can say 'dip me in honey' they're round sleeves rolled up.. biceps flexing and half way through.

same goes for plumbing, electrics, bricklaying and sundry gardening tasks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPicnZ3Fpuw

:mrgreen:

Thanks peeps!

Well in the end I've gone for a hybrid approach: I bought a sprayer from Screwfix last night and made a start on the small bedroom. After masking over the floor, skirting, windows, door and radiator with polythene and tape I filled the sprayer with watered-down white emulsion and let fly.

First impressions are that it's going to be great for putting on the first couple of mist coats, and that it has spruced up the white ceiling and coving quite nicely. However, getting a good quality finish with the colour coat is clearly going to be a good deal harder than just using a roller, so that's my plan: sprayer to quickly cover the walls with a thin base coat, and then roller to make a nice job of the top coats. Result!

Anyway, leave the painting, you have a Dalek to build! :lol:

Indeed I do! I took out a lease on a workshop just before Christmas, and we moved in on 1st Feb. My little lad has been down there with me a couple of times as we finish off the half-built mezzanine started by the previous occupant, and he couldn't be more excited! Watch this space... :D

Joy! I brought one of those sprayer the other week, got 2 houses to paint l was hoping it was going to do it quicker than Mr Bean lol

The roller has won hands down. Hopefully the sprayer will come in for doing the shed and fence later in the year

I say get a decorator in and let him choose, but failing that, the spray gun is a winner. My dad has one and uses it for allsorts of painting jobs, took him ages to commit to one because of the naff reviews but he has since found that the reviews are unjustified as people were prob using wrong kind of paints or not thinning correctly or even cleaning it out after. Just make sure you mask up well

I've got a paint sprayer. If you are going to use it. Take what ever you are going to spray out side. So that is a no, no to room painting. Use mine to spray fences, door's, and wood fitting. Top tip. Don't use paint in your house. There is not a drop of paint on any of the wood surface's in my place. It's all stain or dye. Reason why. If you bang paint it will chip, you will never get the chip back out. Dye or stain don't chip, and you can go over it a second time some year's later to freshen it up.

John933

Internal walls are not usually made from wood (unless you live in Sweden or the USA).

:D

Anyway, is it possible to get white wood stain? Preferably satin but eggshell at a push.

Some of us don't like the 1970's pub look.