Chain not tightening

satansmeerkat

Hi guys,

I've just tried to tighten the chain on my bike after about 3 weeks of not riding, the chain adjuster is on full tension (axel bolt all the way to the back of the adjuster) but the chain is still really slack, like 3 inches of play. The two bolts on the swing arm won't go any tighter.

Helps!

New chain and sprockets, and pronto!

What's the recommended free play (probably written on your swingarm)? Guessing it's a lot less than 75mm - mine is 45mm, so I'm betting your Virago is a fair bit less! Might be safest to find alternate means of transport until the chain is changed out...?

Hand in pocket new chain as soon as! If your lucky you might not need new sprockets. Don't ride the bike with a chain in that state, if it snap's you'll be looking at a major drama and quite possibly a lot bigger repair bill

Cheers guy, I had a scare earlier, had to run down to the shops and went around a roundabout, there was an almighty thunk and the bike wobbled a fair bit, I think the chain caught on the swing arm or exhaust.

Not. Fun.

I'll order one ASAP

check the number of links in the chain as well you might of been supplied one that was long to start with and might get away with removing one link from the chain but you need to know sprocket size you have now compared to standard and standard chain length

I'm guessing that the chain didn't go slack overnight or during the period when it wasn't being ridden? May be a good idea if you check the tension more regularly , then you can order new C&S in good time? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: