Restriction Woes

TomGrainger

Rode home from uni this weekend to service my bike. After swapping out the oil filter and topping up I ran the bike for a bit to run it through and my Dad noticed a blow in my exhaust. Oh well, bit of a pain but at least it's an excuse to get that beowulf I've been denying myself for a while right?

As it happens, swapping the exhaust is likely going to bump my BHP, pushing me over the golden 47.7. A quick chat on the phone to beowulf and he reckoned most people just go ahead and whack it on, as pod is unlikely to pull you in for a dyno test. More pressing a worry for me, however, is the insurance renewal I'm due in about a month. Last time I renewed I had to declare whether I had any upgrades and that'd be a problem if the same questin came up, although again Mr Beowulf reckons it shouldn't be.

I know the guy on the phone was likely giving me his honest opinion, but I'm also mindful of the fact it's a dicey decision and he may well have been trying to drive a sell. I've held off on making any decisions because I wanted the wisened opinon of the tmbf brigade before jumping in.

What do you guys think?

It's not like an insurance company needs much of an excuse to worm out of paying if you didn't say anything, then crashed..

Easy for the Beowulf guy to say that, it's not his licence

Can you not buy a second hand SV exhaust off fleabay until your restriction is up?

+1 On advising against the exhaust until the restriction is up.

You may want the exhaust and also take the risk with the plod but in the event of a claim the insurance will soon refuse to pay out based on the fact your bike isn't the one they agreed to insure as it has a different power output, leaving you in all sorts of pickles.

The 47.7bhp restriction is a hairy subject on the basis that most people just say "get a convincing piece of paper to show mr plod", although I personally have questioned myself how many times realistically the paper is required to be shown or the bike inspected (unless in a fatal accident).

I'd say you could risk it on the street providing you always ride at the speed limit etc and avoid getting pulled over, but would say the insurance is to big of a risk.

Do factor in that he is in the job of "sales" after all.

But then there's the question of how much the sales people at your insurance company really know about bikes, if you delcare the exhaust to upgrade your quote there's not exactly a red button that comes up saying "over the restriction" you are listed as a full license after all.. it depends if you've declared your restriction?

The stock exhaust will be rather free flowing on a bike with 47 bhp the stock exhaust can handle double that

You won't see a difference IMO and certainly not on a bike that's restricted on the intake!

If the restriction was on the exhaust then it would be a completely different story

if your really worried I would buy a road legal exhaust with removable baffle :wink:

that way you have the best of both and its legal and it wont or shouldnt add anything on insurance as its for cosmetics only :wink:

Pretty sure the standard beowulf can is road legal with removable baffle. That means it's ok to use right?

yes... and I think you're worrying too much about this 'alleged' increase in BHP.

buy it.. fit it. and tell your insurance about it. and you're done.

Pretty sure the standard beowulf can is road legal with removable baffle. That means it's ok to use right?

yes... and I think you're worrying too much about this 'alleged' increase in BHP.

buy it.. fit it. and tell your insurance about it. and you're done.

:stupid:

get it bought :mrgreen:

I have Beowulf exhaust and they are road legal. I questioned that directly with them before I bought it. Keep the baffle in!

Performance wise I was informed around 3% increase on the BHP which for 47 BHP increases to roughly 48.41 %.

I'm insured with BikeSure, told them about the above and was also requested to send photos of my bike with all the extras on display so I know I am covered and BikeSure do too!