Clearance... speed bumps.

skiffer

So... speed bumps. Now and then, like twice today my bracket for the collector/mid exhaust area has made full contact with said bump. Noisy unpleasant and slightly alarming sound. However I'm now or intend to fit a belly pan on the weekend. The thought of smashing this to s**t on the first bump I misread makes me wince. Is there a route to raise it at all? Jack up?? I have a 25mm kit coming anyway. Old bike wasn't as low slung as the bandit.

I had a super moto before.. huge difference. I'm only 6ft and my feet are more than flat. Bent legs etc. I'd say it has about 5 inches of clearance between the collector and concrete.

I hate speed bumps. Not because of what they are, but because the council have a duty to set a standard of road where you can drive at the speed limit without damage to your car. So, for example, if you damage your suspension going through a put hole, the council pay out, therefor they should pay out from damage done by speed humps. If they want people to slow down, lower the f*cking speed limit, don't pile a bit of tarmac in the road. I have to do 15mph to avoid coming off my seat on a local 30mph road. If they want traffic to do 15mph, put 15mph signs up...

The other thing is, around here you can see the marks left by cars bottoming out on top of speed bumps - again, vehicles should be able to clear them without damage, but some don't

Lastly, they are never uniform. one can be a slight lip in the road, and the next can be a mountain. They are more trouble than their worth.

I have no problem with lower speed limits, but they shouldnt be enforced with these abominations! Putting pinch points in the road so only one car can get through at a time is so much better. It makes people think a bit aswell

...Rant over

I had a super moto before.. huge difference. I'm only 6ft and my feet are more than flat. Bent legs etc. I'd say it has about 5 inches of clearance between the collector and concrete.

I had the same problem on a bandit.

Turned out it was cheap aftermarket downpipes.

The ones I put on to replace them when they cracked follow the frame, whereas the previous ones stuck out a bit..

Could also be a knackered rear shock. Or a problem with forks, or both.

The only chance you've got to get over a high speed hump is the ride across it on the diagonal and not square on, difficult l know! Your not alone, front valance on many a car get the same hammering.

The only chance you've got to get over a high speed hump is the ride across it on the diagonal and not square on, difficult l know! Your not alone, front valance on many a car get the same hammering.

Or go over it on one wheel!

I had a speed bump conversation with the OH (ex-Suffolk Council architect) - apparently they're supposed to be of a height that allows a vehicle of standard form to pass over them without causing any damage - such are the council guidelines.

If you do experience damage caused to your (unmodified) vehicle driving over them at a reasonable speed then you've probably got a case to claim the damage from the council.

One wheel.. rear shock looks and feels fine as do the forks. For the moment caution will be exercised at the highest level. Raising the front is going to make turning worse but raising the back also will counter I'm hoping.

The down pipes can't get any closer to the frame. It's the bracket that makes contact at the moment so maybe that can be addressed. I'll show some pics later to show what I mean.

My worst bumps and an increasing phobia as a result are the ones approaching over passes on the a14. There seems to always be a lip which at 70 feels like a bloody launch pad... I know the road enough to for cast the majority. But sh*t my pants when I miss one incoming.