Oil Leaking from Exhaust

TomGrainger

OK, so I serviced my bike a couple of weeks ago (before which it was working fine) and I noticed a blowing from my exhaust. I bought a beowulf silencer and fitted it today, along with a repair patch for the area that had been blowing. The patch instructions said to start then bike up and let it idle for 20 minutes or so so that the exhaust would heat up and the patch would adhere. After around 15 minutes of running, a black liquid (looks like oil) started leaking out of the silencer along with a bunch of smoke.

Obvious panic has ensued. Is this just because I've fitted a new exhaust, is it something to do with maybe overfilling during the service or am I buggered completely?

Thanks as always

Just got back from running the bike around the corner and it's not looking good. It was chucking out clouds of thick grey-white smoke the whole way round and when I got back there was oil all over the back of the bike and still dripping from the exhaust to give a rainbow effect on the floor :(

It wasn't doing this before I serviced the bike and I can't see replacing the exhaust causing this. The only thing I can think of is it being something to do with the oil change. Any more ideas?

Well when I drained the oil for the service barely any seemed to come out. Then I changed the oil filter and put 2.6L in (told max is 2.9) but the sight glass just appeared totally black and I couldn't judge how much was in there. Is it possible it didn't drain properly before and now I've got too much in there?

Would you guys suggest pulling out the sump and draining a bit of oil out?

other thing to check once you have got oil level correct is that the silencer itself wasnt coated internally with oil unless its a brand new one in which case forget this but i got to agree with stu it sounds like you didnt drain it correctly,it was the sump bolt you undone wasnt it ??and not one of the casing bolts

If you didn't warm the engine first before dropping the old oil it's gonna be like treacle at this time of year......so I'm not suprised not much dropped out..... :wink: Warm the engine for a bit and then let it cool for a minute or 2 (so you don't burn yourself on hot exhausts etc)......the oil will flow a lot easier.......and the oil level window should be clear once you've drained it correctly....... :wink:

Chances are that you've contaminated the new oil with the old oil now.......so I'd be inclined to drop the lot and put more fresh oil in..... :wink:

Introducing Tom's stupidity...

It turns out the screw I thought was the sump (as a result of oil coming out of it) was not...

This means I had put about 4L into the oil (from two topups) without having drained any oil at all. Result was a rather full system and lots of grimy muckiness. I've now emptied enough out to get it within amounts within max and min on the sight glass and it isnt gushing gunk out the back. I'll be riding back to med school in London tomorrow morning and emptying and refilling the system (properly this time) nect weekend.

Thanks for the help guys, without you I'd be feeling even more stupid as I took the train of shame back. :oops:

just to let you know you have had a very lucky escape with that much oil in the engine it can cause it to hydraulic lock and bent conrods or even break them so use care in future but glad you got it sorted.do you kow what bolt you undone as that might need to be one thats done to a certain torque round the crankshaft or something

"Grumpy Old Git"]Its all part of the learning experience!

Get a Haynes and read it before doing any maintenance - That will certainly help (especially with identification of the correct bolt).

:cheers:

:stupid:

If you've never done it before read the manual or get someone with experience to help and watch over you. We all like to have a tinker but these jobs need to be done correctly. Just be sure that you have fitted a new sump washer and torqued the sump bolt up correctly. I always fill a measure jug to be absolutely sure that the correct amount of oil is added. The sight glass is all well and good but the bike needs to upright and level for it to serve a purpose.