Anyone know to fix a cooker hood?

al_stu

Ok so a while ago a switched on the cooked head and the light went pop, pretty big pop. Fan stopped working as well

Ah me thinks, that sounds like a fuse has just gone.

Changed the bulb - nothing.

Changed the fuse in the plug (looked fine) - nothing

Now I've taken the whole damn thing apart looking to see if I've missed a 'hidden' fuse anywhere. Buggered if I can see a problem. Anyone got any ideas?

2022978237_2015-02-2319_09_44.thumb.jpg.4e76e6914d64e1804997a024c76f251b.jpg

IMG-20150223-WA0006.thumb.jpeg.df2d5dda6f5ef994acfdc068fb4bb90e.jpeg

Hi is it fed from a wall socket? If so, see if there's a supply there first by plugging in another appliance or check it with a test lamp. If there is you can then move on to the hood in question. I've known kitchen fitters pick up a supply from anywhere, there could be another fuse spur hidden in the cupboards which might have a blown fuse supplying the socket supplying the hood. Seldom both the lights and fan fail together

Yep the wall socket works fine with a lamp plugged in. It's a reasonably new build so although some cheap accessories the wiring is generally done to current building standards.

checked the main fuse box and nothings tripped plus it's on same circuit as several other things. all the other things work in the kitchen, and the hood isn't on the main oven isolation switch thingymabob

Damn it I might have to replace something else as well. It can go on the list for later in the year...

Ok so a while ago a switched on the cooked head and the light went pop, pretty big pop. Fan stopped working as well

Ah me thinks, that sounds like a fuse has just gone.

Changed the bulb - nothing.

Changed the fuse in the plug (looked fine) - nothing

Now I've taken the whole damn thing apart looking to see if I've missed a 'hidden' fuse anywhere. Buggered if I can see a problem. Anyone got any ideas?

Can you post a photo of the front of the control unit the switches, not much can go wrong from what l can see

Thats just a wire you circled, in a clip - the photo makes it look more interesting.

The thing you circled on the circuit is - I think - where the grey wire top centre of the photo leads. Which is around the fan unit then off to the plug.

I'm wondering if there is one inside the fan (sealed unit as far as I can see) as I couldn't find anything else of note along the wiring.

The front of the switches has been taken off with much swearing, but the brown/black connector at the bottom of the photo are the switches, the front is just a fascia to make them look pretty.

Thoroughly puzzled, checked online but apart from a couple of people with the same question and no answer there doesnt seem to be much happening.

ok so the saga continues. The brown wire runs into the main fan.

I'm not having much luck at getting into it although I think with the right encouragement (i.e. a smaller screwdriver) I can get these off which may reveal screws. The issue is that it looks totally unserviceable when I peer through the fan blades anyway...

703651554_2015-02-2418_04_56.thumb.jpg.614bca127606549fdcab09442e4ac43f.jpg

The other side looks like this and I have no idea how to get in

737635111_2015-02-2418_06_03.jpg.fc0e643a48817b5ffd184843b3ee7438.jpg

Now what puzzles me (amongst other things...there are many, women, brakes, how some drivers make it from a to b without killing anyone...I digress) is if you look at the main switch, the grey wire here runs straight to the wall plug. So in my eyes there is nothing between the plug and the lamp. The fan (and orange wire) runs off a different section...so would damage along the orange wire also effect the light?

988239132_2015-02-2418_06_14.jpg.c46db32510cd67c2c4442e7c777e7b60.jpg

OK

I have totally exhausted my DIY skills. I think I did that a while ago actually

Where the hell is the micro switch? Is it in the actual control panel? Or is that in main fan unit?

I looked on the control panel and couldnt see anything.

The thought had crossed my mind...as had the current resolution of put it back together and just don't use it haha

I just like to fix stuff rather than replace. Especially if I think it's a 2.99 part over a 100 pound replacement unit.

It may be a combination of a duff switch and a duff fan.

Disconnect all the feeds to the right/hand connector unit (looking at your last picture) and move the yellow and grey wires that feed the left hand stich (to the light) up onto the spare connections. Assuming the bulb is OK, then you should get the light working. If so - This switch is (partially) knafooed.

The fans are usually sold as a sealed unit.

But.... with a voltmeter (set to 240vac range) you should be able to find where the power gets to and take it from there.

Good luck!

:cheers: