Stick with CBT or do A1 test?

I'm 17 now, turn 18 in October so will be 19 in 1 year & 8 months. Do you guys think it's worth me doing the A1 test or not. My cbt instructor said that it would be more than £400 for the course which seems like quite alot to pay to take off my L plates. It's just so annoying having it sticking out the back, I've already broken 2 of them, not to mention it ruins the look of the bike. I also can't really see myself going on motorways with a 125 but It's quite a while before I'm 19 so do you think it's worth it?

Just to be the "odd one out" this may be worth noting..

£400 is what a training school would charge you to undergo their training, use their gear and motorbike (any if all needed), however for the A1 it's a little easier to obtain as you can do the module 1 and module 2 tests on your own by booking the tests online and attending the test centre, i'm not sure what bikes can and cannot be used though (and yes you would have to use your own 125cc).

The A1 has been debated as pointless by most riders just because the limitations are huge and a cbt offers the same restrictions, bar the obvious removal of the L plates, carrying a pillion and use of the motorway.

125cc's generally aren't powerful enough to keep up at 70mph and if they can it's usually at their limit (depends on bike, some do it better than others), I personally never intend to carry a pillion as biking is generally a solo thing unless with other riders and the L plates are easily sorted.. stick one on the front mud guard and then one on the back (the more problematic one that always falls of and rips).

So.. as far as I'm aware the module 1 is £15 and module 2 is £75.. the only other benefit may be that is could bring insurance quotes down over time as opposed to having a CBT and the insurance company factoring you as a bigger risk than you are, also doing the two tests on your own bike may be cheaper than having to retake the CBT until you're 19 (only have to do it once more I think?).

I'm guessing that you'd also have to do a theory for the A1 as well, so may be adding up if it's really worth it.

Just to be the "odd one out" this may be worth noting..

£400 is what a training school would charge you to undergo their training, use their gear and motorbike (any if all needed), however for the A1 it's a little easier to obtain as you can do the module 1 and module 2 tests on your own by booking the tests online and attending the test centre, i'm not sure what bikes can and cannot be used though (and yes you would have to use your own 125cc).

The A1 has been debated as pointless by most riders just because the limitations are huge and a cbt offers the same restrictions, bar the obvious removal of the L plates, carrying a pillion and use of the motorway.

125cc's generally aren't powerful enough to keep up at 70mph and if they can it's usually at their limit (depends on bike, some do it better than others), I personally never intend to carry a pillion as biking is generally a solo thing unless with other riders and the L plates are easily sorted.. stick one on the front mud guard and then one on the back (the more problematic one that always falls of and rips).

So.. as far as I'm aware the module 1 is £15 and module 2 is £75.. the only other benefit may be that is could bring insurance quotes down over time as opposed to having a CBT and the insurance company factoring you as a bigger risk than you are, also doing the two tests on your own bike may be cheaper than having to retake the CBT until you're 19 (only have to do it once more I think?).

I'm guessing that you'd also have to do a theory for the A1 as well, so may be adding up if it's really worth it.

Just had a look on some training sites and they still charge around £250 even if you use your own bike and gear.

also doing the two tests on your own bike may be cheaper than having to retake the CBT until you're 19 (only have to do it once more I think?).

I won't have to do another CBT because I did it after I was 17 and plan on doing my a2 as soon as I turn 19.

Good point about insurance, I hadn't thought of that. I still don't think I could do it though, just too much money for not enough benefits.

Ouch on that price point, didn't realise they charged that much even with your own bike their goes that idea for me haha.

Just save up for the training and test fee's for the A2 and enjoy gaining as much experience as possible in the mean time, don't forget about the theory inbetween though, best to ensure that by the time you are ready for your module 1 and 2 that both the CBT and theory as well within date (of which by the sounds they will be).

I'm yet to do my A2 and currently only have a few months road expierence (with a CBT) on my 125, so I guess you could say attempting to go for a full license with less than 6-7 months on the road is a risk, main one being if it pays of the license will enable to me to have held a "full license" for longer.. hopefully over time bringing down (slowly, if at all) the premium, won't make a huge difference (unlike NCB) but is better than a CBT (witch i'm sure some insurance companies make people pay more for being on).

In honesty you've got the better end of the deal as by the time you gain the license you'll have valuable road experience and hopefully some NCB (just form the insurance point of view).

Again personally i'm looking towards the A2 as opposed to waiting for the A because of both the insurance quotes and secondly just because a bike is capable of doing 100mph + doesn't mean that you have to, same with the license.. you can get a high powered bike.. but can easily stick with a lower powered one also, has flexibility.. and then upgrade to the A license when you feel your ready for an unrestricted bike.

In honesty you've got the better end of the deal as by the time you gain the license you'll have valuable road experience and hopefully some NCB (just form the insurance point of view).

Hopefully with nearly 2 years of riding experience, I should walk the mod 1 & 2 :D

Hopefully with nearly 2 years of riding experience, I should walk the mod 1 & 2 :D

There is a module 1 and module 2 test experience posts on here.. might be worth a read.

From what I understand module 1 is the harder of the two based on the fact that riding on the roads is the same on any bike in that providing you have a steady safe way of riding you should be ok, just don't twist the throttle as quick or as much as you would on the 125cc.

You'll get used to the L platers I've been on them for nearly 3 years :)

Makes a valid point, some people find it easier to stick to the 125cc as it's a whole bunch cheaper than engine sizes above and also some never need more power than what a decent 125cc offers.

Plus many people who own high end sports bikes or "bigger bikes" often have cheap 125cc to ride through the winter months or in rain etc as they're cheap on fuel and also to repair/insure.. so getting something with more power isn't always the answer (although probably helps).