gloves buying guide

by no means is this a difinitive guide but comes from my own experience and someone may benefit from it when buying their first or next set of gloves

i am now on my 6th set of gloves in 18 months since i passed. this is winter and summer gloves combined but really i should have just two and three at most.

finding the right glove is a time consuming thing that a lot of people myself included do either on impulse or with little amount of thinking.

i have just bought a new pair that im happy with as it offers me all the protection i need.

the mistake i have made previously is to buy a pair that actually fits me..... and thats wrong for winter and chilli season, as the basic principles state that you need an air gap between your finger and the glove that is in contact with the cold rushing air otherwise the cold is wicked through even the the thickest of gloves straight to your fingers and then your cold.

the second thing is the protection level, now obviously the more you pay the more protection comes with the glove. i hadnt really thought about impact zones ect, for me as long as they would hold up sliding down the road then they would be fine but no!

i had an off in early dec and i highsided, i had a broken scaphoid displaced, obviously i was casted and this was on for 6 weeks, then when my cast came off the rest of the damage was revealed, my hand was still heavily bruised, tendon damage ect. this was from the initial impact with the road. the gloves i was wearing were my armr winter waterproof ones, the leather didnt scrub through on my slide up the road but apart from some padding there isnt any armour.

i see loads of people on bikes with ski type gloves which obviously dont cut the mustard.

my new pair are the rst tracktech evo which have a varied type of leather for different areas, scaphoid and ulna protection, carbon knuckles, finger armour, joined little finger to the next (which i real important in an off) and a hard gauntlet for more ulna protection with double close strap for proper fit.

i know there are better ones out there but unless i wanted to spend a fortune which not all of us can do this offers all the protection i need.

they are spring summer gloves and because they are sized right i can fit under gloves on too and even without them because i have an air gap the cold doesnt get through even with these chilli morning commutes to work.

i know i have rambled on a bit here but hopefully this may help someone out new or old

ride safe

• 2 weeks later...

6 sets in 18 months :shock:

that's a lot of money !

I have to try every pair in the shop as I have large sausage fingers but extra large palms and most don't fit.

I have Richa winter gloves £60, have lasted four years so far, fantastic winter gloves, very warm.

summer gloves, I pushed the boat out a bit as they felt so good, Arlen Ness Race gloves £149 bet glove i've ever put on my hands, these are three years old.

all in all you get what you pay for, i'm very happy with both of mine, I do about 8000 miles a year.

Im going to have to invest in a new pair soon, current gloves are Frank Thomas Advanced Aqua...3 months old and a hole has worn through on one of the palms, they only cost £40..but 3 months?!

Im going to have to invest in a new pair soon, current gloves are Frank Thomas Advanced Aqua...3 months old and a hole has worn through on one of the palms, they only cost £40..but 3 months?!

Grip puppies will help to stop that

http://www.grip-puppy.co.uk/

http://www.grip-puppy.co.uk/grip_puppy_fitted1.jpg

6 sets in 18 months :shock:

that's a lot of money !

I have to try every pair in the shop as I have large sausage fingers but extra large palms and most don't fit.

I have Richa winter gloves £60, have lasted four years so far, fantastic winter gloves, very warm.

summer gloves, I pushed the boat out a bit as they felt so good, Arlen Ness Race gloves £149 bet glove i've ever put on my hands, these are three years old.

all in all you get what you pay for, i'm very happy with both of mine, I do about 8000 miles a year.

Yes a load of money all because i jumped in and didnt think, happy with my latest pair and at the end of the season ill invest in some decent winter ones