Highlands or Route 66

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/03/02/263F5EB400000578-2975434-The_coastal_NC500_route_has_been_created_to_showcase_what_the_fa-a-12_1425313283966.jpg

http://www.auswandern-info.com/images/USA-Route-66-Karte.jpg

I know which one I'd prefer :D

In going to be doing the highlands next year, camping. Route 66 would be cool but I'd imagine better roads and fun around the highlands.

I would split the journey in two and stay at Sango Sands in Durness.

Route 66 isn't route 66 anymore. A lot of it is freeway.

I cant think of anything more yawn inducing than an American Freeway. or American roads in general.. mile after mile of arrow straight mind numbing tedium.

Don't need to go to America for that.. head for calais leave the Port or Tunnel and you're straight onto the E40, then just follow it E40 all the way - almost 5,000 miles later.. after passing through 13 countries.. you arrive at Ridder. Close to the Border with China and Mongolia.

I know some people who went on a guided tour and they keep off the free way unless they have no other choice. They did not mind the free way as they rode Harleys like a big gang, liked the huge Mack trucks and experienced how Americans will undertake as there is no issue about lane hogging.

Route 66 isn't route 66 anymore. A lot of it is freeway.

I cant think of anything more yawn inducing than an American Freeway. or American roads in general.. mile after mile of arrow straight mind numbing tedium.

Don't need to go to America for that.. head for calais leave the Port or Tunnel and you're straight onto the E40, then just follow it E40 all the way - almost 5,000 miles later.. after passing through 13 countries.. you arrive at Ridder. Close to the Border with China and Mongolia.

My kind of ride!!

I hope to do Scotland this year also, Just a little concered about fuel stops up around the top end as my bike has a small tank (120 mile range)

Inverness to Loch Carron is 62 miles and it has fuel. Lochcarron via Applecross to Kinlochewe is 54 miles, top up there. Ullapool is 79 miles by coast road, top up there. Durness is then 65 miles, top up there. Thurso is 70 miles, top up there and so on. The main issue is timing as most open between 9ish and 5ish. Lochcarron has a 24 hour credit/debit car pump.