Thread about threads and threaded threads!

KrisValentine

I could not have picked a more appropriate title!

Basically I wanted some input into threaded oil sump threads, Basically I finally got my sump bolt out ( I doubt it has been off since 1997) and discovered there was no crush washer. So upon removing it I noticed some silver rings around the base of the bolt (threaded sump no doubt).

After some research I've decided to bodge it as I am not spending anymore money on this bike than I need to.

On the way I've got a new sump bolt and washer as well as some PTFE tap to put around the base and see if that cures the little oil leak it has developed after I removed the bolt (won't tighten, just spins loose).

Also I've ordered a doody little doo dad from America a oil-tite drain plug https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.pepboys.com%2Fimages%2FproductImages%2F3178100%2F65102-007.jpg&f=1 I hope this will fix it if the other doesn't.

I have no intention of getting it fixed properly - this bike eats my money.

other than that all I can think is to use some metal sealer.

Hi, l would go with a Helicoil every time on a sump bolt. This is the last bolts that you want to come loose or out. Plenty of demo's on how to do on Youtube

I will try the helicoil if these fixes don't work, I'm hoping the take and gasket seal arrive tomorrow. this fixes will do until I can go get it redrilled, hate the fact it seems to be problem after problem. I just want to ride my bike :crybaby: