Honda CBF 125 Starting problem

Samadielka

Hey guys,

I got my bike yeasterday, and as I was starting it, it didint start, so one guy shows me that you have to use sometimes the throttle, didint really explained why... And so as a newbie, I thought well maybe its supposed to be like that, and im like wrummm wrummm... yeah its nice to start it like this. :D

Today I turned it on again with the throttle, let it warm up for around 1-2minute. And I took off. after 10min riding first time to work and missing all the streets and turns I shouldn't have, I somehow stalled the bike in the allay I was turning around, and it started maybe after 15+times. After that, I stopped near my work, and went to park it to parking area, and I literally struggled about 2-3 minutes, I thought its done.... I was even moving the bike like wake up you bast*rd. And it magicly started but I dont think its have to be like this no? Help guys :D

Hey guys,

I got my bike yeasterday, and as I was starting it, it didint start, so one guy shows me that you have to use sometimes the throttle, didint really explained why... And so as a newbie, I thought well maybe its supposed to be like that, and im like wrummm wrummm... yeah its nice to start it like this. :D

Today I turned it on again with the throttle, let it warm up for around 1-2minute. And I took off. after 10min riding first time to work and missing all the streets and turns I shouldn't have, I somehow stalled the bike in the allay I was turning around, and it started maybe after 15+times. After that, I stopped near my work, and went to park it to parking area, and I literally struggled about 2-3 minutes, I thought its done.... I was even moving the bike like wake up you bast*rd. And it magicly started but I dont think its have to be like this no? Help guys :D

Lets break this wall of text down a bit. So the issues are:

1. having to use the throttle on startup

2. the second time it took for ever to start

3. the bike struggled once you got to work.

1. Right, so in my mind, having to use the throttle on start up points to fuel starvation somewhere. Possibly blocked carbs/jets depending on the year of the bike (I think they made both carb and FI versions anyway)

2. You may well have flooded the engine the second time you tried starting it, especially if you were repeating the process over 15 times. This is when you open the throttle, so it lets fuel through, which doesn't burn (because the bike hasn't started) and it literally gets flooded with petrol. Letting it drain for 5-10 minutes is all it takes to solve that issue

3. If you were in a parking area, you were probably driving slower, with less throttle, therefor less fuel was getting through. Again, to me, this points to a blockage in the carb/jets. Personally, I would get some carb cleaner and try to clean it out, but it's probably worth hearing what the rest of the forum has to say before you spend any money

Lets break this wall of text down a bit. So the issues are:

1. having to use the throttle on startup

2. the second time it took for ever to start

3. the bike struggled once you got to work.

thats exactly what I wanted to say. And your explanation was spot on :/ I think I used the throttle way to much, can you suggest and tell me how it should be? I read articles saying they press once and its working perfect ;/

EDIT: and the bike year is 2010, done 10k miles

Update: So I tried an alternative method, not using that damn throttle, just sometimes a slight push, and as "mealexme" stated, I think I was using it to much, now it might not start from first or second, but definitely starts from third or fourth, sometimes from first, usually when its warm. So thanks for the help

Should start first time everytime, if it doesn't there is something wrong. Take it back the dealer and get it sorted (if it's still under their warranty).

I replaced the coil pack for a 2nd hand one off a newer bike sorted my problem, but was a problem stalling not starting when wet.

These injected bikes a damn night mare!

After these symptoms, it didint start at all, and showed orange engine light, so they pick it up and fixed in the garage, as it was under engine warranty, found out it was the fuel filter in the fuel pump. And as in CBF 125 the filter is sealed inside the fuel pump. no way a newbie like me could have checked that. They fixed it and I can pick it up tomorrow, no charges, no fees, im very happy, and have to leave now big juicy positive review :o

8-) :bike2: :angel12:

news to me of a filter being in the pump they are usually serviceable parts to check it's not clogged. it's usually the relay that fails inside the pump. I'll give Honda an email and ask.

glad it's sorted.

news to me of a filter being in the pump they are usually serviceable parts to check it's not clogged. it's usually the relay that fails inside the pump. I'll give Honda an email and ask.

glad it's sorted.

I always check this web for main answers. And one of the things he did, was installed inline fuel filter. Im thinking of doing the same.

https://cbf125rider.wordpress.com/2011/ ... el-filter/

just noticed you posted a slightly different story here in other thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=56234&start=15

the fuel pump should have been replaced under its original warranty as many were but a recall was never announced. whether yours lasted longer or simply needed replacing again is scary. they aren't cheap to replace.

just noticed you posted a slightly different story here in other thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=56234&start=15

the fuel pump should have been replaced under its original warranty as many were but a recall was never announced. whether yours lasted longer or simply needed replacing again is scary. they aren't cheap to replace.

Well I dont have the kangaroo issue, mainly thats the symptoms of faulty fuel pump on cbf125. And yeasterday, I took my bike, after 20min driving, same symptoms.... it just died. At the beginning I thought I stalled with the clutch. And it didint start after that, and was busy traffic I was in front and well... was dangerous. I called them, they came and the guy manages tu turn it on always holding full throttle, he said its working fine and I have no experience, he took the bike and said we will adjust the revs theres one screw. So I was pissed about it.... was ok 20min, and now it needs rev adjusting?? im way Past the line of upset....

PS: I only have 1 month engine warranty.

im still pritty happy they dont charge me for bike recovery

well he has no experience with the CBF 125 as you can't adjust the throttle unless you bodge it by tightening the cable. it should run at 1,800rpm -/±100.

it is computer controlled.

if it's over revving when you get it back demand a refund. might have to take legal route. but go to citizens advice and ask them for help first.

I emailed Honda, there is no filter in the pump. the tanks were treated with preservative that clogged up the pump. ask if it's been registered with Honda as having been replaced. tell them Honda told you there is no filter in there and they are trying to bullshit you.

when my pump was replaced it would stall in hot weather after running for a while. then one day normal weather conditions just wouldn't start, ticked over could give it full throttle then it would bump into life. eventually it stopped working, AA came out took side panel off and tapped the pump with a screw driver which got it running.

Thanks for the help, especially Lumor_uk, if you guys still interested with my story, I took my bike again* second time, yeah the bike is working, because when I came, it was on and warm, so my guessing is they warmit up for me and put the revs up, as I was going back, it was fine, I parked at my work, after work when I started it, it was struggling, I had to apply the throttle again* ( like always) and the same symptoms, if I let go, it shuts off. It was to late to call them, they finish work. But I called them before asking why I have to use the throttle all the times? And they said its a bike, you have to give it sometimes a little throttle. And I had to go home reving all the time like an idiot ao the engine would not cut off.... and now its parked, and what, call them again? They dont even fxkng trying to fix it and holding me as an idiot. I did send them official letter of requesting a refund I was advised to do it by citizens advice biuro... and now what? I dont know. ://

Oh and 2 more things.

1. Its 2010, doesnt have the rmp meter.

2. They change the story, now it was fuel injector blocked when it broke down first time.

Edit: 3. They told me that they increased the revs.

if you've got a Honda dealer near you take it in get them to have a quick listen and explain the problems. Tell them you're having trouble with a 3rd party dealer who isn't playing ball. Ask if they would mind writing a letter explaining the problem and what needs to be done to fix it. forward it to the people you bought it from telling them you want it fixed. If no action get it fixed by Honda then bill the other garage, you might have to go through small claims to get the money back but at least the bike will be working

• 2 years later...

Hello I'm new to this site and own a cbf125 which I've had for 5 years now. I'm a mature rider and think the bike is great for my needs. I've done around 15000 miles on it and runs sweet as a nut. However I too did have starting problems but managed to sort it out without doing anything. I'm keenly interested in mechanics and been involved in maintaining/fixing/rebuilding engines for many years. I was having major starting problems but couldn't really sort it as there didn't appear to be anything wrong with the bike. It would start eventually and get me to and from work. After a couple of weeks i realised that it started at home ok but not at work very well. So bearing this in mind I wondered what was going on. The only difference between parking at home and at work was that at work the bike was left on the side stand whereas at home I left it on the mainstand. So as soon as I started to leave it on the mainstand at work, it would fire up immediately. Wired I know but I no longer have starting issues! Hope this helps.