Thick rust removal on pipe?

KTM21

A while ago I asked about removing rust from my exhaust pipe but I have since got a different bike which has even thicker rust on the pipe. A lot of people recommended autosol polish but I think it might be to extreme for that. I have also heard about people using electrolytic rust removal to remove real thick rust but I'm not sure whether this would damage the chrome finish on the pipe. So what do you think is the best way to get it looking as good as possible, I know it wont go back to looking brand new but surely something can improve it a bit.

The second picture looks different because I had a go at it today with some baking soda/lemon juice and a wire brush which seemed to work really well for other people but didn't really do much.

Cheers

IMG_1838.thumb.JPG.f280a246e18aae25e593825a0cad1afd.JPG

IMG_1839.thumb.JPG.db153c710739a44c5635056ef11e4532.JPG

IMG_1840.thumb.JPG.9673d5c1a0d2ba713c909def85126eb7.JPG

well the chrome is already ruined by the fact its now got heavy rust on it one way round it is to buff it up best you can with wire brush in a drill and then treat to a coat of heat proof black manifold paint or change it and buy new downpipe

So would I notice much difference from electrolytic rust removal, would it be worth it? I don't really want to paint it black, I had a look what it would look like on Photoshop and I don't really like they way it looks. I suppose I could just go at it with the drill and get it too look as good as possible and then use some autosol. :)

where the pipe is rusty the chrome has gone and its the bare metal rusting that was under the chrome there isnt a lot you can do to it either just clean it best you can and leave or paint it otherwise only way to get nice shiney chrome again is to replace it

Strip chrome off and paint it black or buy a stainless pipe. Fairly soon there will be holes in that one.

When you say fairly soon would that be within just over a year and a half if it was looked after as good as possible? If I can get away with keeping that one for the time that I will have the bike then I will, I don't have £200 laying around.

the more you scrub/rub it the more metal you are removing if you cant afford to treat it and paint it or replace it then best to leave alone if it doesnt last untill you sell the bike you can always get a patch welded over area that rusts through but chances are no one would buy it like that or it will reduce value of bike come resale time so you will still end up buying new one