GSF 600 sprocket teeth

Glorian

In relation to my subject about WHICH chain/sprocket to get

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=56219&p=879849#p879849

What are peoples thoughts on amount of teeth? I do mostly cruising down the A12 daily on my bike and in 6th gear at 70 it's around 6kRPM and sounds like it needs to go up a gear.

I hear that reducing the back teeth will make it cruise better but not entirely sure? And renthal goes form 13 - 18 teeth on the front (15 standard) and 45 - 47 (47 standard)

Fiddle around with this and see what your revs/speed come out like.

Sprockets are quite cheap so it's fairly affordable to experiment with them - the trick when doing that is to use sprockets that allow you use the OEM length chain. -1,+2 and +1, -2 from OEM are quite popular.

For you, at ~6k in 6th gear, the difference in speed from OEM gearing to the two above is +/-9mph.

The down side of lowering the gearing is your fuel economy may suffer and you'll lose top end but it'll be more nippy and you'll be able to use more of the power you have. Raising the gearing will give you better economy and lower revs on the motorway but your bike will feel down on power.

When I had the bandit I just kept it standard.

If you have a mark two with a speed sensor bear in mind changing the front will affect the accuracy of your speedo.

That's why I kept it the same as standard as going the route of a speed healer etc was just too much hassle imv.

Fiddle around with this and see what your revs/speed come out like.

Sprockets are quite cheap so it's fairly affordable to experiment with them - the trick when doing that is to use sprockets that allow you use the OEM length chain. -1,+2 and +1, -2 from OEM are quite popular.

For you, at ~6k in 6th gear, the difference in speed from OEM gearing to the two above is +/-9mph.

The down side of lowering the gearing is your fuel economy may suffer and you'll lose top end but it'll be more nippy and you'll be able to use more of the power you have. Raising the gearing will give you better economy and lower revs on the motorway but your bike will feel down on power.

Had a little go on that, neat little tool. Might change it to a rear 45 and keep front the same, see if i can notice a difference. =)

Cheers Mr Fro some top advice today!

I have an early 600 bandit and get exactly the same feeling as you do with revving that bit too hard on the motorway. If you change the sprockets and it works, please do post a reply because I would be interested how you get on.