Hot starting problem

ScreaminEagle

Hi all,

Managed to give my bike it's first run of the year today. Started first time and didn't miss a beat on about a 15 mile run. Got home, switched it off, wheeled it around the back, tried re-starting it, but it turned about half a crank then stopped as though the battery was dead. Tried a few more times but it just clicked.I decided to go and have a cuppa, then tried it about 20 mins later, and it fired straight up. Turned it on/off a few times without a problem, left it to warm up again, then it wouldn't start again until it cooled. Any ideas?

It's a 2004 Honda CBR600 RR.

Thanks in advance.

measure across the battery whilst trying to crank it over and see what the voltage drops to

it could be your battery on its way out

or your starter motor drawing too much current when hot

Without trying to come across as stupid, and failing ;0) I have a multi-meter, but don't exactly know how to use it properly. Obviously I understand the -/+ but what do I set it to and what readings should I be expecting.

Thanks.

Standard test from cold read 12.27v.

While cranking the engine it dropped to about 4.8v, difficult to be accurate.

With engine running at 2000rpm it fluctuated around 14.8v.

Turned engine off and it read 13.06, but kept dropping at around a digit per second.

So it sounds like the battery as had it then, yeah?

Any recommendations on replacements?

Thanks again guys.

Easy way to check is if you have access to a car is to get it nice and warm till it won't start then jump it off the car battery

Car not running

If it starts then its your battery for sure

Not sure how old the battery is. It was on the bike when I bought it. There were some old receipts for various bits/work done to it over the last couple of years, but no mention of a battery.

It almost didn't start from cold this morning, so definitely think it's had it.

Not sure how old the battery is. It was on the bike when I bought it. There were some old receipts for various bits/work done to it over the last couple of years, but no mention of a battery.

£20 says it has ;)

If you get stuck in the meantime, you'll be able to bump/jump start it but a new battery should fix the start issue.

£20 says it has ;)

Lol...

Are the 'gel' batteries worth it, or should I just stick with the acid type?

£20 says it has ;)

Lol...

Are the 'gel' batteries worth it, or should I just stick with the acid type?

Can't help you with that buddy... maybe someone else has experience of both...

• 2 weeks later...