Becoming a motorcycle technician?

KTM21

I'm currently at college studying motor vehicle maintenance (level 1) and hope to go on to level 2 next year. I'm want to end up with a job in the motorcycle industry such as a technician or something but I'm not sure how to go about achieving this. Should I just try and get a job next year in a garage for experience as well as doing my level 2 course (only 3 days a week) and then apply for a motorcycle company after the course finishes? I don't know much about how this works so any advice is appreciated :)

Can the college not point you in right direction?

We do have an employability lady with connections and that so maybe she could help but with my course the main focus is cars not bikes.

A good way into the "industry" would be to register with your local Marshals Association, and do as many events as possible through the year - track or road. You can then marshal at events (Trackside, Pit Lane, or just mucking in). Through them you should get some contacts to start your Pit Lane, Inspection or Scrutineering courses.

This is the Association for the Olivers Mount club in Scarborough, but the info should be relevent to other Marshals Associations:

http://www.auto66.com/marshals-news.htm

a mate of mine started out as just a bike cleaner and collecting and delivering customers bikes in the company van,when not on the road he would hang out in the workshop helping out where he could and was allowed to then gradually got allowed to do more and more on the bikes untill in the end the company put him through the correct training to work on the bikes he is now workshop manager and has been with the firm for nearly 15 years

Surely your college has numerous contacts? This is how I got into the motor trade initially.

I wouldn't bother personally, the pay is poor for the level of skill required. Speaking from some considerable experience, you'd be far better off as a bricky, plasterer, plumber, sparky or chippy tbh.