Stripped sump plug hole..

skiffer

Plugs fine thread in actual sump ... not so fine. Any temporary repairs I can use til I can get it in the garage or a self tapping plug Friday. It is leaking.. thinking ptfe tape for short term fix.

ptfe only any good if its going to mean the bolt will tighten in the thread as you dont want it vibrating out whil riding,if the engine has got seperate sump you are better off removing the sump and taking it into engineering shop or decent garage to get either a time sert or helicoil put in it then refitting the sump after washing it out making sure no welding bits are left to transfer in the oil round the engine

silicone sealant - lots of if!

Apply it all over the threads and once the bolt is in, add some more to stop it turning...

wont last forever, but so long as you have some threads left it will last a short while.

silicone sealant - lots of if!

Apply it all over the threads and once the bolt is in, add some more to stop it turning...

wont last forever, but so long as you have some threads left it will last a short while.

Good point. You'll need to go with high temperature silicone. I have used some for my exhaust so can tell you it holds up to the temperature.

Personally l would not sit or ride comfortable with a nob up repair to sump plug, the consequences of that bolt coming out whilst riding does not bare thinking about. Would you ride your bike knowing that your wheel nuts are stripped? Your playing a Dangerous game mate go for a Heli coil fix. Stay safe

I've ordered a replacement oil pan. Found one on ebay for £25 in very good condition and threads intact. Comes tomorrow.

I fear u tube isn't going to be much help in guiding me on this one.

get a new gasket ordered from suzuki as well for the sump you might need to drop exhaust off to get sump out but im not to sure you will be able to tell by looking make sure you clean all the old gasket off the underside of the engine before fitting new sump to engine and its normally all 10mm headed bolts holding sump on so make sure you dont over tighten them as they will shear fairly easy

Got a kit that provides gasket new stainless bolts, new plug, copper washers and o rings for oil cooler lines also. Noticed a small leak in one of the lines so they'll be useful.

Hadn't considered the exhaust coming off but I guess it makes sense for access if anything.

go careful when cleaning the old gasket off

you will need to use a sharp knife but the alloy can be soft so its easy to take the alloy away!

the mating surfaces need to be flat

:stupid:

Also crack off the sump bolts in sequence and retighten in sequence to avoid any chance of warping, then finish tightening up with a torque wrench to avoid any more dramas.

:stupid:

Also crack off the sump bolts in sequence and retighten in sequence to avoid any chance of warping, then finish tightening up with a torque wrench to avoid any more dramas.

in this case not important when removing damaged sump as its scrap anyway but have to agree when removing a good sump thats going back onto the engine,and make sure you use a good quality torque wrench as most of the time 10mm headed bolts with 6mm thread only need toing up to less than 10ftlbs

Not having a good quality torque wrench and using it properly is oftern the reason for stripped threads. Agree mate removing a scrapped sump you could just strip it off but your far better getting into good habits rather than doing bad

I'll rope in a child to tighten them.. what can go wrong!!

In all seriousness one will be purchased, it's just been put off up until now. I've been going by the rule that nothing needs to be "that" tight. So haven't given every last ounce of he man strength every time.

you would be surprised if you got one of the sump bolts and wound it into a thread in a piece of alloy untill you thought it was *tight enough* and then checked what torque you had actually done it up to you would be shocked as to how far you have overtightened it

There not big money Mate,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-34570- ... 5d2b34f6d5

The one above will do all but the large nuts and bolts found on a bike

For me in reality it's as cheap as chips, this against stripped threads or loose fittings for that matter! You can then ride in the safe knowledge that the bolts just tightened up is done up to spec and not guessed.

Best of luck with the repair

I very rarely use a torque wrench never had a bolt fall out snap or stripped a thread

Coincidently one time I did use one I stripped the thread before I got near the setting!

If you know what your doing you will be fine

My Hayabusa rear axle nut is torqued up to 100nm. I'll bet money most on here will tighten that nut up way passed that. I was shocked the first time l torqued it up with the wrench, there was more than a double take from me to make sure l had got it right, I've had spanners in my hands for ever so l think I've got the knack, but with alloy's and light weight materials used on motorcycles these days you've got to be so careful.

Might just gaffa tape it on. Good reel of that and that sump ain't going nowhere.

I don't need much of an excuse to spend money on new tools.

However on top of that... The bikes already had its fair share of have a go workmanship. I don't want to add to that, but I seem to be unearthing problems everytime I undo a nut or bolt lol. I guess the hardest thing to get your head around is the thought if this bolt ain't done up its gonna fall out. Bolts hanging upside down from a sump multiply that thought for me.

Might just gaffa tape it on. Good reel of that and that sump ain't going nowhere.

I don't need much of an excuse to spend money on new tools.

However on top of that... The bikes already had its fair share of have a go workmanship. I don't want to add to that, but I seem to be unearthing problems everytime I undo a nut or bolt lol. I guess the hardest thing to get your head around is the thought if this bolt ain't done up its gonna fall out. Bolts hanging upside down from a sump multiply that thought for me.

On a small bolt Mate, it's a pretty fine line between a loose bolt and a stripped thread especially when fixing into Alloy's