YBR125 front brake pad change.

Wintermute

My YBR125 has recently started making 'scraping' noise from the front brake when it is being used. I want to take it apart to get a proper look and change the pads but am not too experienced. I've read the section in the Haynes manual and it doesn't seem too difficult, but obviously the front break is pretty important to my continued existence...

Should I book it in for a professional to look at or have a go myself? That's probably not a very easy question to answer! I've been riding a bit more than a year and am comfortable tightening the chain, but that's all I've done so far!

If you've read the Haynes then that's a good start - the brake calliper is only held on by a bolt or two then it's a case of whipping out the pads once you've removed any locating/anti-rattle bits.

If in doubt, just follow the step by step Haynes instructions. :-)

My top tip is to keep an eye on the brake fluid in the master cylinder reservoir as this will go up when you push the calliper piston back.

Good luck buddy!

watch some videos on youtube as well. there should be plenty around of people taking their brakes to pieces. moonfleet41 is one guy that immediately springs to mine (delboy's garage). he's a home tinkerer and i know for a fact he has a video around brake servicing.

your pads might just need a good clean!

Check the condition of your disc - if your pads are worn down they will be damaging the disc. Easily seen, some of the disc won't be shiny anymore. If it's still all shiny, wave a sigh of relief and crack on with the piston service / pad change.