Hazzard Perception: Training to use software

Guest Eanx

I'm going to have a rant! I'm studying for my theory and hazard perception tests. Theory I have no problem with. In fact, I don't have a problem with hazard perception either - in the real world. I've been driving for 20 years and never had an accident. I've been practising with this software http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Motorc ... ete+theory and on the whole it's pretty good. There are a number of example mock videos to practice with but I find the test pedantic. I can't help but feel that to pass this test you don't have to identify developing hazards but simply understand what the software expects from you.

One example; in one clip, you turn a corner and I identified that a car was parked on another bend far down the road so I clicked. Of course this is a hazard because you can't see what is coming around the corner and you're going to have to overtake it. So at this far distance I'm aware this poses a potential hazard. Great! Isn't that what it's about? This is actually the hazard they want you to spot, but not too early! OK, so perhaps a car appearing parked on a bend isn't considered a "developing hazard". If I clicked when I was close but before a car comes around the bend, I got points. Why not when I first saw it? Another problem with these videos is that there are numerous hazards. Kids running along the pavement, a car pulling towards the junction on your right, a bus parked at a bus stop down the road that may pull out... I also did the test on the Cam rider website and did pretty poorly. What am I missing? Any tips? Out of the theory, Mod1 and Mod 2, it's this that's worrying me.

I can't help but feel that to pass this test you don't have to identify developing hazards but simply understand what the software expects from you.

The above quote answers your own question in regards to why you're appear to be doing so badly.

I had the same mindset upon studying at first, learn reflecting in the windows of houses on a junction means a cars approaching etc.. all useless, you just need to learn when the system wants you to click, review the scoring system for each clip and study it, provides you with the best chance.. learn the gaps between the scoring system and how long in seconds you can risk it, without this.. there is no pass, I don't know what people who don't identify this do in honesty.

Out of the theory, Mod1 and Mod 2, it's this that's worrying me.

One step at a time, Module 1 and Module 2 mean nothing for now, focus on the theory and nothing else.. study, study, study.

Oh, and good luck :thumb:

What am I missing? Any tips?

It really is quite simple.

Kids playing on the pavement are a potential hazard.

Kid running into road is a DEVELOPING hazard.

Parked bus - potential

Car driving round bus - developing

Car at junction - potential

Car at junction pulling out - developing

A potential hazard is anything that causes you to watch carefully

A developing hazard is anything that causes you to brake or change direction. Click!

I was having a similar problem Eanx. I read somewhere that when you see a potential hazard count to two then click. I tried and my score improved a lot- way over the minimum pass mark.

I've been using the official Dvsa guide to Hazard Perception- new for 2014/15. What I have noticed after doing various online ones, that the number of what you (and I) see as potential hazards has dropped. The new ones feature a lot of CGI now and seem more simplified than the first ones I looked at.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/haza ... n-makeover

What I have decided to do with 10 days left to my theory is knock it on the head a bit. I've got to a point where I know what the hazard is going to be now so it negates the exercise.

You may be able to get the DVD from your local library to try it out.

Good luck!

You're over thinking it a little.

Just click when you see a hazard, click again when it develops. You get more than one or two clicks per video (I think from memory I did 6,7,8 on some) but don't go mad as that'll get a fail. I think on 2 videos I did too many clicks but still passed!

If you haven't already just book it and go do it, even if you fail at least you know what to expect and hopefully what you did wrong and you can re take. I did this with my mod 1 I knew the nerves and everything in my first one would almost def mean I'd fail so I took the hit last week going back next week calm and knowing what to expect and going to work on the thing I failed on.

I found that all the years of driving stood me at a disadvantage when I practiced the hazard perception. All of those hours on the road teach you to spot and predict where hazards are potential long before an inexperienced road user would. I found trying to forget everything I know and concentrate on what I can see happening, rather than correctly anticipating, got me through the test. I also did abysmally on the practice tests but when I invested in the DSA software I understood what it was that they were looking for my scores increased dramatically. Also bear in mind that the resolution of many practice site videos is not always clear enough to see what is really happening.

Hope this helps and good luck.

I spoke to one of the guys I will be training with next week and he told me that when I see a potential hazard to click three times. I had in fact tried that to some extent on the software and it seemed to bear fruit.

Hope it works for me on Thursday..............................

Same for me. I have been driving for 40 years and find myself clicking way too early. I mean, come on, how can you spot something too early? At other times I have been unable to see the hazard until the 1 or 0 point stage even when I've reviewed the clip. which is completely contradictory. I've tried leaving it a wee bit longer (which goes against all my feelings) and clicking 2 or 3 times. That seems to work a bit better. But it does sort of make the test seem a bit inaccurate.

Same for me. I have been driving for 40 years and find myself clicking way too early. I mean, come on, how can you spot something too early? At other times I have been unable to see the hazard until the 1 or 0 point stage even when I've reviewed the clip. which is completely contradictory. I've tried leaving it a wee bit longer (which goes against all my feelings) and clicking 2 or 3 times. That seems to work a bit better. But it does sort of make the test seem a bit inaccurate.

Yes, it's been the same. You look at the scoring of the clip and at times, you can't see anything in the 5 point area. At other times you see the hazard developing but you've clicked too soon. My training DVD has a CGI version on it and I faired better on that than the video version. I clicked on one and got zero points but when I reviewed it, it was right on the edge of the area where 5 points starts. If I were to click again 1 second later, I'd get 0 points anyway wouldn't I for clicking too soon?

No. Your highest score is always the one that counts. So if you click early, then click again within the 5 point area you will score 5 points.

The hazard perception test is now almost all CGI- it's all looks a little weird. In fact I felt dizzy watching some of the clips. Hard to explain but it just looks sooo odd!

No. Your highest score is always the one that counts. So if you click early, then click again within the 5 point area you will score 5 points.

The hazard perception test is now almost all CGI- it's all looks a little weird. In fact I felt dizzy watching some of the clips. Hard to explain but it just looks sooo odd!

My partner said that, she said she felt seasick watching it. So does it not disallow the clicks if they are 1 second apart?

My partner said that, she said she felt seasick watching it. So does it not disallow the clicks if they are 1 second apart?

Wasn't just me then!!

My instructor told me to click when you see a potential hazard then click another two times- whichever click has the highest score will always be the one that is used so doesn't matter one bit if you click to early as long as subsequent clicks are within the mark scoring area

I'll try doing that. I'm getting 100% every time in the theory tests but this hazard perception sucks, it's certainly not testing my hazard perception.

I was the same- high marks every time on theory but too early on hazards. You don't just have one click so use more- your score will rocket! Just don't go overboard because if you do too many the software will tell you off and you won't score anything for that clip!

And as you can see from my signature, it worked for me because I passed on Thursday despite scoring 0 on one of the clips!

I was the same- high marks every time on theory but too early on hazards. You don't just have one click so use more- your score will rocket! Just don't go overboard because if you do too many the software will tell you off and you won't score anything for that clip!

And as you can see from my signature, it worked for me because I passed on Thursday despite scoring 0 on one of the clips!

Well done! I'll do mine when I feel I'm confident with this HP but actually I'm not telling anyone when I'm taking my tests as I think it just adds pressure when there is no need. I'll do it quietly and then tell people when I've passed my mod 2 :)