new clutch/brake levers

al_stu

Hey Guys

So I was going to treat the bike to a radiator cover, but it appears that the seller has gone AWOL. to be fair its a dinky company doing them for half the price of the 'normal' shop bought ones, and there's no mention of them in online forums for a few years so I'm not sure they are actually still trading. I didn't hand over any money so I'm not losing sleep.

I therefore now have 50 quid of Mrs approved spending, burning a hole in my pocket. So I had a nosey at these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-SPRINT-ST-RS-2004-2009-Short-Adjustable-Brake-Clutch-CNC-Levers-Black-/281388830591?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item418414cf7f

Watched a video online to fit, seems like the most ridiculously easy job to swap them out. Even I could do it!

Is it really THAT simple? Two screws, bit of silicone grease and swap the end of the clutch cable over?

Yep.......but just watch the front brake lever as someone had trouble with it causing the brakes to bind......can't find the thread at the moment......maybe Stu can remember which thread it was...... :wink: The Pazzo's on my Speedy are good......but a bit more than £50..... :wink:

yes I've seen I can spend a lot more but this will be my third purchase for the bike in a week so best not push my luck...

I did try to argue that the grippy pad for the pillion seat was not for me, but apparently the fact my balls are smashed into the tank every time I brake is my problem and she doesnt mind either way!!! :evil:

Hey Guys

So I was going to treat the bike to a radiator cover, but it appears that the seller has gone AWOL. to be fair its a dinky company doing them for half the price of the 'normal' shop bought ones, and there's no mention of them in online forums for a few years so I'm not sure they are actually still trading. I didn't hand over any money so I'm not losing sleep.

I therefore now have 50 quid of Mrs approved spending, burning a hole in my pocket. So I had a nosey at these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-SPRINT-ST-RS-2004-2009-Short-Adjustable-Brake-Clutch-CNC-Levers-Black-/281388830591?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item418414cf7f

Watched a video online to fit, seems like the most ridiculously easy job to swap them out. Even I could do it!

Is it really THAT simple? Two screws, bit of silicone grease and swap the end of the clutch cable over?

My leaver wouldn't come off clutch side... so gave it some. Then erm the clutch switch came with it. That's typically how I'm learning about my bike, breaking it bit by bit.

Ha well fingers crossed I don't get heavy handed. Tbf uusually my problem is a reluctance to give it some welly. Like doing (car) Brake discs. I just won't ever be comfortable taking a lump hammer to the disc to get it off!

I was chatting about cheap Chinese lever the other day.

My worst nightmare would be if you needed to pull on the brakes pretty quick to avoid an impact, and the cheap Chinese cheese metal gave way, and the brake lever snapped off in your hand... :shock: :shock:

I think the key is to avoid anything shupped from China or hong kong. Will get these next week and post some pics

I was looking to see where these levers were made, I know it says that they are sent form the UK but cant find anything on the companies website or ebay as to where they are actually manufactured.

I presumed they would be made in China/Hong Kong and they are then sold by a UK company.

(I tried looking on the companies own website http://www.misano-moto-imports.com but my works filter blocks it)

Might be worth double checking your not paying over the odds for cheap Chinese products.

I was chatting about cheap Chinese lever the other day.

My worst nightmare would be if you needed to pull on the brakes pretty quick to avoid an impact, and the cheap Chinese cheese metal gave way, and the brake lever snapped off in your hand... :shock: :shock:

I've not heard of any levers snapping more the fact that they aren't machined right and wont allow the brake to fully release! Interested to see what these are like though.

In response to our conversation Joe...

Yesterday I ordered a pair from Hong Kong :lol:

I'm sure they'll be fine.

One things for sure - short levers improve braking significantly due to where the counter weight is on the lever. If I pressed my brake lever at the end, it applies to much stopping force. Had to order a pair of shorties now I have more acceleration.

LEVERS I BOUGHT

These were my other option - both say CNC.

Although to be fair I am purely relying on the seller being honest when they say 'not made in China'

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141217953907?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edit: Also seen these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REZO-Short-Ad ... 4ae2422d1d

Have been doing some googling and what comments there are on chinese levers, is that you cant tell much of a difference between the branded and the cheap ones.

Hey guys

'revo' levers arrived and fitted. dead easy. Only questions - the levers didnt come with their own bushes (?) so on the clutch side I popped the old one out, oiled it and refitted to the new one.

The brake side though, doesnt want to come out. Should it? The fit was snug when I put the new one in (i.e. a bast*rd to get in) so I dont see how it needs bushes as well?

Anyway, heres some photos. The springs were a bit fiddly (was worried they'd ping off and never be seen again) but honestly it was a...twenty minute job. That was me being really careful as well, and triple checking everything.

I got the 'adjustable' ones. The photos are at shortest length. adjustable ones arent as short as proper shorties, but will extend to longer than the long ones. Not sure if I'd have been better just getting the short ones, but at least this way I can meddle to find what I like (7 settings for size)

2025017455_2015-03-1918_03_19.thumb.jpg.0730abf99c390c268d18de9e0acb579a.jpg

1281362157_2015-03-1918_23_25.thumb.jpg.028a43610d3827da1b3ca50db18d7142.jpg

I haven't been for a spin with them on yet.

I vary 2 or 4 fingers when I'm riding. That's why I got the adjustable ones so I can change the length around and make sure I'm happy with it.

Will let you know after I finish all the other jobs on the bike!

I've just ordered a set of Strada 7 short levers for mine.

ordered the matching preload adjuster at the same time.

http://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-djwa8gc/products/152/images/1072/Strada_7_Racing_3D_Carbon_Fiber_Inlay_Short_Levers_Black_1__78407.1406303843.1280.1280__31206.1406304279.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

http://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-djwa8gc/products/393/images/512/CNC_Pre_Load_Fork_Adjusters_22x22mm_Black_1__83228.1406219573.1280.1280__57176.1406220968.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

hoping they will be as good as they look...

Look nice those Joeman, Let me know once they arrive, i shall be purchasing some levers next pay day and am a bit reluctant to pay Pazzo prices.

yep, pazzo seem overprices and IMO, the Pazzo levers for my bike dont look great:

http://www.pazzoracing.com/picture_library/models/main/222_R-BL-S%201000RR%20clutch.JPG

From the photo, the surface finish doesnt look good, and the numbers arent as clearly marked as the Strada7 levers.

of course the Strada7 levers might be crap in real life.. time will tell...

• 2 weeks later...