Quick question - textile jacket fitting

Guest Eanx

I tried on a couple of jackets today and like the RST Raptor 2 jacket. I'm normally a medium. I tried that on with a t-shirt and fleece underneath. It fitted nicely but when I raised my arms it felt a bit restrictive and the sleeves rode up a little. I tried the Large and it felt better but was a bit loose around the shoulders where the armour is. My question is, from a safety perspective, which is better, a slightly tight jacket that's a little restrictive in the shoulder or one that's loose around the shoulder. Bare in mind that the armour in the shoulder still covered my shoulder area. It fit everywhere else though.

40+ views no opinions. OK well, I'm going to order the large as the guy in this video

">
says textile can be a bit looser and I figure if I raise my arms up above my head, it might ride up exposing my stomach (even though it has a waist adjuster). I have to say, I was pretty impressed with the quality of the jacket but expect the back protector adds a lot to that.

i would go for 'comfort'.. but then I don't suffer from excess paranoia. I also think coming off the bike is vastly overrated as a pastime. If i was really concerned about fit.. because one size was much too small and the next up.. much too large. i would take it on the chin and go to another brand. treat it much like crash helmets.. I would love an Arai, but they just don't fit properly.. well not properly enough. So - I don't waste my time looking at them, Sidi boots - the same.

perfect fit... you're lucky if you find it. maybe yes. maybe no. normally it comes at a price if you want it guaranteed. because most of the higher priced textiles have all sorts of fine tuning adjustment

Yeah, a tight jacket can be really uncomfortable after a while on the bike........ :wink:

As Shorty says, try some jackets from other manufacturers if you can to see if their fit is better...... 8-)

What did the shop assistant suggest?

Maybe they have another brand that fits your body shape better??

If not, go for comfort. Restrictive jacket could cause the accident you wear it to protect you from!

As everyone else here has said go for the size that is more comfortable. You never know when you might want to stick an extra layer underneath if you will ride through winter, also room to move can only be a good thing.

i would go for 'comfort'.. but then I don't suffer from excess paranoia. I also think coming off the bike is vastly overrated as a pastime. If i was really concerned about fit.. because one size was much too small and the next up.. much too large. i would take it on the chin and go to another brand. treat it much like crash helmets.. I would love an Arai, but they just don't fit properly.. well not properly enough. So - I don't waste my time looking at them, Sidi boots - the same.

perfect fit... you're lucky if you find it. maybe yes. maybe no. normally it comes at a price if you want it guaranteed. because most of the higher priced textiles have all sorts of fine tuning adjustment

Absolutely dying right now :D

Also IMO get a looser jacket as it's comfortable. You can often zip the top TO the bottom, Just be aware if you do fall off at speed and slide jackets and stuff can ride up leaving you exposed. But i would try on several brands untill you find one that fits right.

Also IMO get a looser jacket as it's comfortable. You can often zip the top TO the bottom, Just be aware if you do fall off at speed and slide jackets and stuff can ride up leaving you exposed. But i would try on several brands untill you find one that fits right.

Cheers. I've bought it now and got it for £100 too (normally £150). It fits pretty well everywhere else when wearing a base layer and fleece under it (as I would in winter) and the waist adjuster makes it fit snug around my waist, it's just the shoulders that seem a little loose but the armour covers my shoulders well no matter how much I move. I also like how much the elbow armour covers my forearms and over the lower part of my triceps too. The back protector is quite heavy so ads a bit for weight to the jacket. Really pleased with the quality of it, just need to check how waterproof it is, but reviews of it are good and others say it's held up against everything :) Now I'm trying to find some decent but cheap textile gloves. The Rukka Virium are my favs so far but still looking.

Cheers. I've bought it now and got it for £100 too (normally £150). It fits pretty well everywhere else when wearing a base layer and fleece under it (as I would in winter) and the waist adjuster makes it fit snug around my waist, it's just the shoulders that seem a little loose but the armour covers my shoulders well no matter how much I move. I also like how much the elbow armour covers my forearms and over the lower part of my triceps too. The back protector is quite heavy so ads a bit for weight to the jacket. Really pleased with the quality of it, just need to check how waterproof it is, but reviews of it are good and others say it's held up against everything :) Now I'm trying to find some decent but cheap textile gloves. The Rukka Virium are my favs so far but still looking.

Chances are it will keep a fair bit of water out. But unless you get goretex and spend a load of dosh it will let water in eventually :D You can get some wash in stuff to help, never tried but some other members here have.