Yet another problem

GazW

Got fuel pissing out the overflow pipe, it's not overfilled, if I remove the tank and tip it forwards, it stops, but the second I put the tank back where it should be it starts again. Never done this before although I've been nowhere near it when repairing the fuel tap.

If I take the hose off it leaks out the tap the hole fixes onto.

Am I right in thinking you had water in your fuel?

If so it might not be your overflow but the drain at the top of the tank around the filler cap

Its a metal tup that runs through the tank it will have corroded through and letting water in the the fuel and allowing fuel to piss out

Common problem on suzuki's

Am I right in thinking you had water in your fuel?

If so it might not be your overflow but the drain at the top of the tank around the filler cap

Its a metal tup that runs through the tank it will have corroded through and letting water in the the fuel and allowing fuel to piss out

Common problem on suzuki's

easy way to check is push small piece of hose into drain hole in top of tank and blow down it see if you get bubbles appearing in fuel inside tank and you will hear it as well if thats the case

Yeah, I'd just come to this conclusion before I logged back on here, the water in the fuel and leaking petrol all clicked into place. Mini eureka moment.

If I block the drain hole with my finger, then blow up the overflow tube I can hear bubbles in the tank.

That's a new tank job I'm guessing, there's no way to sleeve the copper pipe without splitting a rubber tube so I wouldn't have a good seal, and I can't force a rubber pipe through the copper one as its tighter at both ends than the internal diameter of the pipe.

Only want to fix it to sell it.

on the TL people remove the fuel pump to gain access and cut a section out then put a bit of tube in its place

you have to use submersible fuel hose though and its not cheap

and not sure how big the opening is on the bandit

Not very, there's no fuel pump so it's literally just the opening for the fuel nozzle. Stupid design by suzuki.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place now as, I need to sell it to fund the ktm, but need to fix it to sell it really as the bike wouldn't fetch much as it is as id have to sell it for spares and repairs.

I need to get a second hand tank for it and hope it doesn't suffer the same issue.

Not very, there's no fuel pump so it's literally just the opening for the fuel nozzle. Stupid design by suzuki.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place now as, I need to sell it to fund the ktm, but need to fix it to sell it really as the bike wouldn't fetch much as it is as id have to sell it for spares and repairs.

I need to get a second hand tank for it and hope it doesn't suffer the same issue.

Though it's not pleasing to see you experiencing issues... its not half teaching me some stuff about my bike. I just realised where a stray rubber pipe now probably goes.

Though it's not pleasing to see you experiencing issues... its not half teaching me some stuff about my bike. I just realised where a stray rubber pipe now probably goes.

The one that runs past the airbox and comes out near the swinging arm?

That's the overflow for water, you'll see the drain hole when you open your tank, and if you look in the tank at an angle you'll see the pipe running through it.

The later bandits had a breather on the bottom of the tank, The mk1 breathes through the filler cap.

I've got a second hand tank the same colour as mine coming some time this week. After that I think it's time for flogging, got another bike lined up, had 12 months trouble free out of it, now I'm having issues its time to get it straight and get rid.