Boot height

Guest Eanx

I realise newbie questions are a bit mundane to experienced riders so sorry if this is one of them and hope this one will not be deleted but I've tried on various boots but I'm not sure how they are supposed to fit round the top. I have skinny legs at the best of times but they all seem to be really wide at the calf with loads of space but are the right length. Is this normal? Is this how they supposed to be? I've read a buying guide I found which states:

"Height is a key consideration when picking motorcycle boots. For any boot to provide adequate protection, it should come up to at least the middle of the rider's calf. It also needs to offer plenty of stability at the top of the boot."

By stability does it mean tight fitting or just rigid?

usually they can be adjusted to be tighter, depends what kind of riding your going to be doing. higher end boots have adjustable calf sizes, and its best to have them tighter (so they dont slide off your foot in an accident)

but a lot of touring boots seem to be a bit looser around the top of the boot, as it might be a bit more comfortable?

I bought a pair of boots at london show last year for £40 they're good boots rigid enough but allow movement for gear changing as i hate not being able to move my foot at all.. Most however will allow some adjustment mine have velcro around the calf.

Thanks for your replies. I'm looking at the Sidi Black rain evo boots (Lorica as I'm vegan) which are touring boots. I plan on buying some RST jeans to zip to my jacket but I doubt I'll tuck them into the boots as the rain would run off and into my boots. I see what you mean about having movement when changing gear. SIDI's are a little on the narrow side. My normal size 9 in these are way too tight so I tried the 9.5 and they are fine. I can't see them coming off. I just didn't know if having too much room at the top would be a problem. If I pulled the back of the top of the boot to the back of my calf, I'd say there was a 2" gap at the front?

Just wear thicker socks :D

Make sure you're comfortable in the boot though. Sit on a bike if possible and try changing gears. If you can't do it there. you won't be able to do it on the road.. I found out when i picked my first bike up in motocross style boots and coudln't change gears! Was a fun ride home..

Just wear thicker socks :D

Make sure you're comfortable in the boot though. Sit on a bike if possible and try changing gears. If you can't do it there. you won't be able to do it on the road.. I found out when i picked my first bike up in motocross style boots and coudln't change gears! Was a fun ride home..

The place that has the boots doesn't sell bikes so it's not going to be easy to sit on one, though I've seen them online which means I can try them and send them back within 14 days if they are no good. Is the distance between the gears and peg about the same on all bikes? The toe on these boots are quite flat and pointy so I think they should be OK. I did try them on and they were fairly comfortable in the shop.

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/product ... k_main.jpg

The gear lever can be adjusted on all (?) bikes. Fairly easily to. But it's how your leg sits on the bike, Wearing knee high solid boots will restrict your movement. Trying to move your ankle to change gear (No matter the height) can be tricky, My current boots allow enough flexibility to move my foot around and change gears as necessary but i sacrifice some protection.

The gear lever can be adjusted on all (?) bikes. Fairly easily to. But it's how your leg sits on the bike, Wearing knee high solid boots will restrict your movement. Trying to move your ankle to change gear (No matter the height) can be tricky, My current boots allow enough flexibility to move my foot around and change gears as necessary but i sacrifice some protection.

Thanks for your advice and help. You've been the most consistently helpful person on here :) Cheers!

Thanks for your advice and help. You've been the most consistently helpful person on here :) Cheers!

Good to know =) Message me if you have any other questions i'll try give some sensible answers :D

Good to know =) Message me if you have any other questions i'll try give some sensible answers :D

I will, thank you :)

I've got Sidi Black Rain Evo's......but they're a few years old now........but the guys are right.....you need room in the boot if you're gonna be tucking jeans in.......nothing worse than riding with a crease digging into your shin or calf....... :wink:

I've got Sidi Black Rain Evo's......but they're a few years old now........but the guys are right.....you need room in the boot if you're gonna be tucking jeans in.......nothing worse than riding with a crease digging into your shin or calf....... :wink:

Have you found them to be waterproof in that time?

They were waterproof......but these days they're not so good........but I've got some Sealskinz socks to wear underneath now...... :wink: If you want proper waterproof you'd need to look at Goretex ones...... :wink:

They were waterproof......but these days they're not so good........but I've got some Sealskinz socks to wear underneath now...... :wink: If you want proper waterproof you'd need to look at Goretex ones...... :wink:

Yes but all the Goretex ones are leather! I can't win.

Just an update: I finally bought some new boots today. I got the Sidi Black Rain Evo boots made from Lorica at £179.99. I could have got them a bit cheaper online but not in my size. The boots are discontinued so some retailers are selling them off but they tend to be size 8 and below. The boots are a little tight in the toe (apparently Italian boots are notorious for this) and the next half size up were a bit loose (especially in my left foot), even with thick socks but the dealer said a tighter boots are better and assures me that they will give a bit in a short time, demonstrating this with some used TCX Lorica boots compared with new ones. In fact, it's only really tight in the right toe and that foot is ever so slightly bigger than my left. I considered the £40 cheaper TCX boots but they were much softer, didn't have the same shin and heel protection as the Sidi's and I didn't like the look of them as much. These boots are solid and instil confidence and the smaller toe seems great for gear shifting. They are definitely not comfortable for walking distances in but I've read that most motorcycle boots aren't. I can't speak about the water resistance yet as I haven't had a chance to try them.

Does anyone have any tips for breaking them in a bit quicker? I'm wearing them in the house at the moment and I've been squatting on my toes and generally trying to move them. When I press on top of the toe, they widen out a bit and then they are comfortable. I'm wondering if I should wrap some elastic bands around the toes to hold them in that position when not in use? Opinions?

They'll wear in soon enough when you start using them on the bike...... :wink: Mine are still quite snug.......and are definitely not for walking around in for too long.......but they are pretty solid boots and are wearing pretty good for 4 years old now...... 8-) As I said previously, they're not the most waterproof boots.......not bad, but not up to Goretex standards...... :wink:

They'll wear in soon enough when you start using them on the bike...... :wink: Mine are still quite snug.......and are definitely not for walking around in for too long.......but they are pretty solid boots and are wearing pretty good for 4 years old now...... 8-) As I said previously, they're not the most waterproof boots.......not bad, but not up to Goretex standards...... :wink:

It's almost impossible to find Lorica boots that use Goretex though and I expect that would be a few hundred quid if they did. I'm finding these boots very tight at the toe with only thin socks and after wearing them for an hour around the house last night, my toes were beginning to hurt. The dealer have agreed I can swap them for half size bigger later today. There will be a little more room but I'll just have to wear thicker socks. My right foot is slightly bigger than my left so the left is likely to have the most room. I know a tight fitting boot is better for gear shifting but if I find it affects that then I may have to put an insole in if needed. Everything I've read says that Lorica doesn't break in like leather and I'm concerned I'm going to have them too long to take back and be left with an £180 pair of boots I can't wear.