air compressor modding?

Guest petrolhead1989

hi people

random topic, but its pretty common across the net, so has anyone created their own air compressor from parts?

reason why i ask, I bought myself a new compressor the other day, and to be honest, im not entirely happpy with it..

The motor and pump is perfectly fine. 3HP beast, and has no problems in keeping the air pressures up when tools are in use, in my case, spray guns..

But the tank... i know its only a small 25L tank, but i really didnt think it would be such an issue, as i dont really use it for Big tasks as such.. But damn..

10 seconds spraying, and the compressor fires up to keep the tank topped up!!! and its pretty loud..

As im currently using it in the house..

(decorating, with a compressor and spray guns)

Mainly glossing, for that brushless finish.. a bit of gloss, a dab of thinner, comes out smooth..

Im playing with the idea of getting a propane / butane gas bottle, and modding that.

anyone done this?

Ive got the required tools, drills to drill holes to fit the fittings, i am a compitent welder, and own my own welding equipment, (to weld the handle onto the tank etc)

But before going ahead, i would like to get peoples views, and perhaps images of their gas bottle compressor tank?

Now i know what your thinking... buy a bigger tank compressor!!

well i got this compressor at a very good price, and although its a small tank, its got a beaffy motor and pump, so instead of inversting another £200+ into another compressor.. i can get a big gas bottle for £20

(i live in the fens, getting these sort of supplies are easy and local)

I mainly spray with HVLP guns, so if you know anything about what im using.. You cansee why a little 25L isnt big enuf..

im currently in the middle of glossing my house internal doors, and although they are coming out mint.. i dont like the bad habbit of having to take quick second pauses half way down, just to allow the pump to keep that pressure perfect..

cheers :cheers:

Just going to say this now mate; while hillariously awesome, the extra weight gained by bolting an air compressor to the side of the Kymco as a cheap bodge for forced induction is probably going to more than offset any gain in horsepower :lol: :P

It had been said that fen people often have more than 5 fingers. Could be you're on your way to having fewer. ;-)

I can't see why it wouldn't work. I'd do it*.

*This does not, repeat, not necessarily mean it's a good idea!

It had been said that fen people often have more than 5 fingers. Could be you're on your way to having fewer. ;-)

I can't see why it wouldn't work. I'd do it*.

*This does not, repeat, not necessarily mean it's a good idea!

Not originally from this place.. Huntingdon man, all my life, But moved to Littleport 2 years ago.. Regretted it ever since :(

I was thinking perhaps add a propane bottle onto the side of the original tank? Using 1/4 BSP fittings of course, and a high pressure braided line.. So basically, the air fills both, so basically last twice as long..

Then use some of those big ass'd jubilee clips, i mean the huge things, to hold it next to the original tank :D

Just going to say this now mate; while hillariously awesome, the extra weight gained by bolting an air compressor to the side of the Kymco as a cheap bodge for forced induction is probably going to more than offset any gain in horsepower :lol: :P

huh??? Im not on about air compressoring induction to my bike :lol:

Im genuinely on about an air compressor, that i want to mod with a bigger tank...

:booty:

why dont you just get a larger tank for the motor? it'd save a lot of hassle?

Maybe he's just a [strikeout]tight git[/strikeout] engineering genius. ;-)

We're you thinking to tee off the feed to the original and piggybacking the new one?

why dont you just get a larger tank for the motor? it'd save a lot of hassle?

Maybe he's just a [strikeout]tight git[/strikeout] engineering genius. ;-)

We're you thinking to tee off the feed to the original and piggybacking the new one?

thats a good idea.. how would i go about joining the new tank to the existing one? like, best way??

drill, weld in a threaded plug for a 1/4 BSP connector, and run a high pressure line to the existing tank?

cheer