Radio, but with requirements

Guest Kc9400

Right so I might be looking for a bit much here.....

What I'm looking for is:

A Radio

A Headset - capable of connecting to the radio and also able to connect to my phone via blue-tooth so if I get a call it will route the call through.

Also needs to be PTT (push-to-talk)

Has anyone come across anything that will meet these requirements? or am I going to have to have a blue-tooth headset + Radio + earpiece separately?

Cheers

Not Radio, as in a Radio for communication.

I've seen some blue-tooth headsets which can connect to each other and to the phone but can't find one with PTT availability.

The only way I can find to get the kind of functionality I want is to get everything separately which is a bit of a pain.

On the scala rider you can turn off vox and use ptt its just attached to the headset and not handlebars

You press it and it stays active until you stop talking for 30 seconds or you press it again

Yeah voice activated is ok but tend to find they either pick up wind or only pick up a few words into a sentence.

Yeah a PTT button by my thumb would be swell. It's having it so it can connect to the mobile aswell where I'm struggling.

The bluetooth ones allow the phone, and between each other but then can't find the PTT to support that.

Unless someone can recommend a good VOX bluetooth setup that doesn't miss half of what you've said.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cardo-Scala-Rid ... cala+rider those any good? Pushing my budget of £50 up a bit though :P

I have a pair of Scala G4s and they are fine. You can opt to have them connected all the time. If you have the intercom voice activated you just have to wait a second or two to let it connect, you get used to it and know when to start speaking, it beeps when connected.

Scala sounds like the way to go. Have you used them bike to bike?

Ideally I'll be buying one and 2 others I ride with regularly will pick up one each aswell.

Otherwise I'm thinking just suck it up and get a separate bluetooth headset for when solo and actual radios for when in a group. Read that bluetooth range isn't great and tendency to get interference.

me and a friend have used the scala rider g4's bike to bike. they're excellent below 60mph (helmet dependant). can hear every word as clear as day.

one minor gripe is if you're using a bluetooth source (such as maps from phone) the voice overrides it and you then could miss directions. very small gripe.

oh and the software to update the G4 isn't available on the mac.

aside from that, they're excellent.

if your connected to a sat nav on mine the gps overrides everything so no directions missed!!

I have the team set pro it is purely rider to pillion though and for a basic intercom I can't grumble!

Need to know what sort of distances you need to transmit on. PMR 446 radios can transmit for reasonable distance.

So what are you intending to do pillion to rider, bike to bike, talk to every Tom Dick and Harry?

For example if you where a licensed Radio Amateur there are 2m radios that support Bluetooth so a Bluetooth headset could be linked and you could talk for a 50 mile radius.

So what distance is needed and for what purpose?

Why do you want Radio? If it is because of the gear others you ride with have already got and they aren't planning on changing over to Blue Tooth Intercoms then yes there are solutions out there.

Sena do a Radio Blue Tooth Module with a PTT Button that will connect to most Bluetooth Headsets regardless of make http://www.sena.com/product/adapters/sr10/ You can pair 1 Radio and 1 Mobile Phone to it in addition to Pairing to a Headset.

However, modern Blue Tooth Intercoms are getting decent range these days. I wrote this on another forum:

Hopefully some may find this a useful.

For as long as I can remember I have listened to music while riding and being a bit of a gadget freak have strived to get the best quality audio I can. The early days were hit and miss what with cassette and CD players and using earphones not designed to go under a crash helmet. I also appear to have sensitive ears as I find any type of ear bud speaker uncomfortable bordering on painful.

When I met SWMBO later in life and she took to riding pillion like a duck to water we felt the need to invest in some sort of intercom. Initially it was Starcom, then the Starcom Advanced and finally the Starcom Digital. I have to say that the latter is an excellent bit of kit only really let down by the fact you are connected by a cable and having ridden off with her still connected on a couple of occasions, hasn't always endeared me in her affections.

Being all year bikers come rain, wind, snow and sun and touring Europe on a regular basis we found that an intercom enhanced our enjoyment. Granted it is not for everyone but it was for us. At the time I had a second job working for a motorcycle dealership on a part time basis and had access to all sorts of gear to try. (I even got them to stock Starcom as well as Autocom which a few years later were both owned by Starcom anyway).

As Blue Tooth started to become more readily available I looked at the limited choice available. The budget ones were useless. Cardo were the main name at the time but not without their problems. We eventually took the plunge to Blue Tooth when we bought a pair of Schuberth C3's and invested in their SRCS system. It worked but wasn't perfect. As a rider to pillion unit it was good but lacked any kind of range rendering the ability to connect to other headsets useless. It was made by Cardo and would connect to other Cardo units without issue. However, to really get a useful range a decent PMR Radio was still the only way to go.

On emigrating to Austria and setting up our Biker B&B I found that many people were passing through using varying makes of Blue Tooth units. What you soon discover is that there are various Blue Tooth Protocols in use and which aren't compatible with each other. For example, Cardo and Scala use different protocols and won't pair to each other, something that is probably done deliberately. You are more likely to find budget brands being compatible with each other.

Seeing a benefit in being able to hook up with guest's units when I take them on guided tours I started sounding users out as to their real life experiences with them. Sena appeared to stand head and shoulders above the competition for reliability, battery life and user friendliness.

At the time there were basically 3 models in the Sena Biking Range:

The SMH5 - a very good rider to pillion intercom but lacking in range and only having the ability to have one connection at a time.

The SMH10 and SMH10R, the latter being basically the same unit but more streamlined when mounted - On paper a very good bike to bike intercom with up to 4 way conference connection and many features which appealed.

You have to remember that any function involving the connection to additional devices will only work if those other devices support it and there was also the issue of compatibility with other brands. At about this time Sena announced the imminent arrival of a Universal Pairing Function enabling connection to devices using other protocols. This would be by way of a Firmware Upgrade and existing units would benefit from it. I was expecting a group of Bikers out who I was taking down to Croatia and who I discovered were also using Sena so I took the plunge and purchased an SMH10.

I wasn't disappointed. There was a choice of mounting options as far as mic and speaker/earbud combinations go so make sure you get the right one for you. I fitted it to my Schuberth C3 helmet and the first thing I discovered was that the clamp method of mounting it will not work on this helmet and you have to use the adhesive mount provided. No problem, it is a secure fix. A new Firmware Upgrade was available which was very easy to do with the Sena Device Manager for both PC and MAC. It also included the Universal Pairing Upgrade. I was able to pair to my wife's Schuberth SRCS System using this so Sena were now compatible with Cardo at least. (more about Universal Pairing later.)

Connecting to my iphone was easy and I could stop, pause, fast forward and rewind with ease. Telephone conversations were crystal clear and could even use Siri. I had no problem hooking up to my Garmin Zumo 550. I only did the latter to test it as I hate the voice prompts from the Zumo, mainly because they interrupt my music. I prefer to use a Sat Nav as a visual aid or scrolling map but that is just one of my little foibles. Once you get your head around the jog dial and buttons it is a breeze to use, even with a gloved hand. Voice prompts ensure you are in the right menu.

The guys coming to Croatia were still a few weeks away when those fiends at Sena announced the imminent release of the all new 20S. Boasting 8 connections, 8 way conference calls, Universal Pairing, HD audio and a raft of functions that they must have known were too tempting for me to ignore I pre ordered one. My justification was that the wife could then have the SMH10 and we wouldn't be limited to Schuberth helmets. (it is very easy for me to justify these things in my own mind. The wife doesn't quite see it like that). The release date was the same day we were due to set off for Croatia so I emailed Sena, explained what I did and was doing and asked if there was anyway I would receive the 20S in time for the trip. There response was "they will see what they can do".

The time came for me to ride up in to Germany to meet the guys coming down. The SMH10 was faultless. I really enjoyed my music, the wife rang me a couple of times and the calls were clearer than just using the phone on its own and when we met up I was easily able to pair to the other devices. They claim a 900m range on the SMH10 and on the motorway I would say that was about right. Even in the mountains we were getting a good 500m. On the occasions connections did drop out they easily reconnected when back in range. Regular use has substantiated the claimed battery life and it easily lasts all day for us. USB charging is also possible in use if you forget to do it overnight. It has been tested in torrential rain and appears to have survived without water damage.

In summary the SMH10 is an excellent bit of kit well suited for Bike To Bike communication and does what is says on the box.

On arrival back at our B&B I found the 20S waiting for me and like an excited child at Christmas, I had to get it fitted ready for Croatia. I transferred the SMH10 to the wife's helmet and fitted the 20S. The fitting kit comes with all you need. Boom and fixed Mic, Speakers or the option to plug in Ear Buds (not included). There is an App for the 20S which makes updating and changing settings very easy so I downloaded that. No Firmware upgrade available but hey, it is a brand new model, it will have the latest version. I connected up my phone, sat nav and the other headsets and all was OK. I was a bit disappointed to see only one Universal Pairing Connection but that was down to me misreading the advertising hype.

The next day we set off for Croatia. after a very short while my thoughts on the 20S were "This is a pile of cr*p". Connections dropped out and wouldn't re connect. My phone kept dropping out and would only reconnect after I had re paired the devices. It was a disaster. Meanwhile the wife was keeping the group entertained with the faultless SMH10.

On my return I got straight on to Sena Tech Dept. I must say this is a first rate service. I was corresponding to a guy in the states via email with only delays that come from being in different time zones. He remained my point of contact throughout. He immediately and honestly informed me that the 20S should not have been released as it had many known bugs in it causing the issues I had experienced. He offered me a full refund but advised me to wait a few days for the new Firmware Update to come out which will address my issues. If still not happy I could have a full refund.

The promised Firmware Upgrade became available about 7 days later. "Wow, what a difference. This is the best thing since sliced bread". Range is excellent. They claim 2km and line of sight that is about right. Stick something solid in the way and you aren't going to get that with any Blue Tooth Device. An SMH10 user could hear me at extreme range when his speech was broken to me. Everything works as claimed, up to 8 intercom connections plus a Universal Pairing Connection, usual accessory connections, voice prompts and voice commands to access functions combined with very good quality audio. There is also a Group Function facility but only works with other 20S models. This is a sophisticated device with complex functions made simple by its ease of use especially with the voice commands which work even at illegal speeds apparently. Subsequent Firmware Upgrades have tweaked things for the better such as easier access to the Voice Command function. You may have guessed I am very impressed with the 20S.

Sena also have a fairly active FaceBook Page where customers express their wishes in what they would like to see in a product. Sena respond to these comments explaining what is possible and what isn't. They clearly listen to the customer because many of these requests are addressed in follow up Firmware Upgrades.

There was still one slight issue with my 20S. The USB cover bung on mine wouldn't stay in place and it would be susceptible to water ingress. It appears the first batch had this problem where the little retaining strip could pull through to far and cause this. I emailed Sena Europe, (from whom I bought it) explaining the issues I had initially and the problem with the bung. I also advised them I was a Tour Guide and could not afford to be without my Device during the season and asked if I could return it at the end of the season to be repaired or replaced. I had an email reply within the hour advising me a new 20S was on its way and they would then collect the old one. The new one arrived 3 days later but they never collected the old one which is a bonus. I have since solved the problem on it.

I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for and also expect to get what I paid for. OK, maybe Sena should have delayed the release of the 20S but they were superb in dealing with my complaints and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again. In fact I already have.

A note on Universal Pairing: To get around the protocol issues non compatible devices are paired as a mobile phone. This seems to work but I suspect that the range is reduced, not that I have had a chance to test that theory yet. Although there is only one Universal Pairing Connection it doesn't mean you are limited to one non Sena in the group. For example: You can have 2 SMH10s and 2 non Sena devices in a conference call. Pair one SMH10 to a non Sena, repeat with the other two and then pair the two SMH10s together and you have a 4 way conference call. There is more scope if using 20S models.

Since purchasing mine Sena have added to their range including a new entry level model in the 3S and a helmet specific model in the 10U. There is also one with a built in camera which you can use to narrate straight to the recording in the 10C

I'm not knocking any of the other Blue Tooth devices out there, each to their own, but before purchasing one, make sure it is capable of doing what you want it to do. Suitable range, audio quality, compatibility with existing devices and whether it can connect to everyone you would like to being very important considerations. As I previously mentioned, I have no problem justifying things in my own mind and maybe the 20S is more than most need. It is certainly a nice price. But if you are looking for a good reliable Blue Tooth intercom with the ability to pair with other makes then you really should give Sena serious consideration.

Sena also do their own stand alone Blue Tooth Camera, the Prism which while the spec is quite good, it is not a GoPro and Sena realise this. So they also do an Audio Pack for the GoPro H3, 3+ and 4. This is an excellent device for narrating directly on to the recording and is capable of capturing all parties in any conference connection. Very useful for me when recording as a Tour Guide as it captures their reactions when riders experience our environment for the first time. It is also compatible with non Sena Devices. You do need Sena's own GoPro case though to accommodate how it connects to the camera.

My next investment is the SR10 Bluetooth radio Adapter as I have a couple of Kenwood TK radios sat doing nothing.

I should state I have no connection to Sena whatsoever and receive no recognition by plugging their products. I am just a happy customer passing on my experiences.

As a foot note: Sena Warranty is for 2 years and with the original purchaser only. Warranty claims have to be returned to POINT OF SALE. This is worth considering when purchasing a used Device or what appears to be a bargain new Device on the likes of eBay. If the seller is not an authorised retailer there could be issues although there is a Link on the Sena Support Page in this event. I always buy from Sena's On Line Shop even if I could get it cheaper elsewhere. My experiences in dealing with them direct have been a breeze and it is worth it over any small saving I may have made elsewhere :D

Edited by Ali in Austria

Why do you want Radio? If it is because of the gear others you ride with have already got and they aren't planning on changing over to Blue Tooth Intercoms then yes there are solutions out there.

Sena do a Radio Blue Tooth Module with a PTT Button that will connect to most Bluetooth Headsets regardless of make http://www.sena.com/product/adapters/sr10/ You can pair 1 Radio and 1 Mobile Phone to it in addition to Pairing to a Headset.

However, modern Blue Tooth Intercoms are getting decent range these days. I wrote this on another forum:

Hopefully some may find this a useful.

For as long as I can remember I have listened to music while riding and being a bit of a gadget freak have strived to get the best quality audio I can. The early days were hit and miss what with cassette and CD players and using earphones not designed to go under a crash helmet. I also appear to have sensitive ears as I find any type of ear bud speaker uncomfortable bordering on painful.

When I met SWMBO later in life and she took to riding pillion like a duck to water we felt the need to invest in some sort of intercom. Initially it was Starcom, then the Starcom Advanced and finally the Starcom Digital. I have to say that the latter is an excellent bit of kit only really let down by the fact you are connected by a cable and having ridden off with her still connected on a couple of occasions, hasn't always endeared me in her affections.

Being all year bikers come rain, wind, snow and sun and touring Europe on a regular basis we found that an intercom enhanced our enjoyment. Granted it is not for everyone but it was for us. At the time I had a second job working for a motorcycle dealership on a part time basis and had access to all sorts of gear to try. (I even got them to stock Starcom as well as Autocom which a few years later were both owned by Starcom anyway).

As Blue Tooth started to become more readily available I looked at the limited choice available. The budget ones were useless. Cardo were the main name at the time but not without their problems. We eventually took the plunge to Blue Tooth when we bought a pair of Schuberth C3's and invested in their SRCS system. It worked but wasn't perfect. As a rider to pillion unit it was good but lacked any kind of range rendering the ability to connect to other headsets useless. It was made by Cardo and would connect to other Cardo units without issue. However, to really get a useful range a decent PMR Radio was still the only way to go.

On emigrating to Austria and setting up our Biker B&B I found that many people were passing through using varying makes of Blue Tooth units. What you soon discover is that there are various Blue Tooth Protocols in use and which aren't compatible with each other. For example, Cardo and Scala use different protocols and won't pair to each other, something that is probably done deliberately. You are more likely to find budget brands being compatible with each other.

Seeing a benefit in being able to hook up with guest's units when I take them on guided tours I started sounding users out as to their real life experiences with them. Sena appeared to stand head and shoulders above the competition for reliability, battery life and user friendliness.

At the time there were basically 3 models in the Sena Biking Range:

The SMH5 - a very good rider to pillion intercom but lacking in range and only having the ability to have one connection at a time.

The SMH10 and SMH10R, the latter being basically the same unit but more streamlined when mounted - On paper a very good bike to bike intercom with up to 4 way conference connection and many features which appealed.

You have to remember that any function involving the connection to additional devices will only work if those other devices support it and there was also the issue of compatibility with other brands. At about this time Sena announced the imminent arrival of a Universal Pairing Function enabling connection to devices using other protocols. This would be by way of a Firmware Upgrade and existing units would benefit from it. I was expecting a group of Bikers out who I was taking down to Croatia and who I discovered were also using Sena so I took the plunge and purchased an SMH10.

I wasn't disappointed. There was a choice of mounting options as far as mic and speaker/earbud combinations go so make sure you get the right one for you. I fitted it to my Schuberth C3 helmet and the first thing I discovered was that the clamp method of mounting it will not work on this helmet and you have to use the adhesive mount provided. No problem, it is a secure fix. A new Firmware Upgrade was available which was very easy to do with the Sena Device Manager for both PC and MAC. It also included the Universal Pairing Upgrade. I was able to pair to my wife's Schuberth SRCS System using this so Sena were now compatible with Cardo at least. (more about Universal Pairing later.)

Connecting to my iphone was easy and I could stop, pause, fast forward and rewind with ease. Telephone conversations were crystal clear and could even use Siri. I had no problem hooking up to my Garmin Zumo 550. I only did the latter to test it as I hate the voice prompts from the Zumo, mainly because they interrupt my music. I prefer to use a Sat Nav as a visual aid or scrolling map but that is just one of my little foibles. Once you get your head around the jog dial and buttons it is a breeze to use, even with a gloved hand. Voice prompts ensure you are in the right menu.

The guys coming to Croatia were still a few weeks away when those fiends at Sena announced the imminent release of the all new 20S. Boasting 8 connections, 8 way conference calls, Universal Pairing, HD audio and a raft of functions that they must have known were too tempting for me to ignore I pre ordered one. My justification was that the wife could then have the SMH10 and we wouldn't be limited to Schuberth helmets. (it is very easy for me to justify these things in my own mind. The wife doesn't quite see it like that). The release date was the same day we were due to set off for Croatia so I emailed Sena, explained what I did and was doing and asked if there was anyway I would receive the 20S in time for the trip. There response was "they will see what they can do".

The time came for me to ride up in to Germany to meet the guys coming down. The SMH10 was faultless. I really enjoyed my music, the wife rang me a couple of times and the calls were clearer than just using the phone on its own and when we met up I was easily able to pair to the other devices. They claim a 900m range on the SMH10 and on the motorway I would say that was about right. Even in the mountains we were getting a good 500m. On the occasions connections did drop out they easily reconnected when back in range. Regular use has substantiated the claimed battery life and it easily lasts all day for us. USB charging is also possible in use if you forget to do it overnight. It has been tested in torrential rain and appears to have survived without water damage.

In summary the SMH10 is an excellent bit of kit well suited for Bike To Bike communication and does what is says on the box.

On arrival back at our B&B I found the 20S waiting for me and like an excited child at Christmas, I had to get it fitted ready for Croatia. I transferred the SMH10 to the wife's helmet and fitted the 20S. The fitting kit comes with all you need. Boom and fixed Mic, Speakers or the option to plug in Ear Buds (not included). There is an App for the 20S which makes updating and changing settings very easy so I downloaded that. No Firmware upgrade available but hey, it is a brand new model, it will have the latest version. I connected up my phone, sat nav and the other headsets and all was OK. I was a bit disappointed to see only one Universal Pairing Connection but that was down to me misreading the advertising hype.

The next day we set off for Croatia. after a very short while my thoughts on the 20S were "This is a pile of cr*p". Connections dropped out and wouldn't re connect. My phone kept dropping out and would only reconnect after I had re paired the devices. It was a disaster. Meanwhile the wife was keeping the group entertained with the faultless SMH10.

On my return I got straight on to Sena Tech Dept. I must say this is a first rate service. I was corresponding to a guy in the states via email with only delays that come from being in different time zones. He remained my point of contact throughout. He immediately and honestly informed me that the 20S should not have been released as it had many known bugs in it causing the issues I had experienced. He offered me a full refund but advised me to wait a few days for the new Firmware Update to come out which will address my issues. If still not happy I could have a full refund.

The promised Firmware Upgrade became available about 7 days later. "Wow, what a difference. This is the best thing since sliced bread". Range is excellent. They claim 2km and line of sight that is about right. Stick something solid in the way and you aren't going to get that with any Blue Tooth Device. An SMH10 user could hear me at extreme range when his speech was broken to me. Everything works as claimed, up to 8 intercom connections plus a Universal Pairing Connection, usual accessory connections, voice prompts and voice commands to access functions combined with very good quality audio. There is also a Group Function facility but only works with other 20S models. This is a sophisticated device with complex functions made simple by its ease of use especially with the voice commands which work even at illegal speeds apparently. Subsequent Firmware Upgrades have tweaked things for the better such as easier access to the Voice Command function. You may have guessed I am very impressed with the 20S.

Sena also have a fairly active FaceBook Page where customers express their wishes in what they would like to see in a product. Sena respond to these comments explaining what is possible and what isn't. They clearly listen to the customer because many of these requests are addressed in follow up Firmware Upgrades.

There was still one slight issue with my 20S. The USB cover bung on mine wouldn't stay in place and it would be susceptible to water ingress. It appears the first batch had this problem where the little retaining strip could pull through to far and cause this. I emailed Sena Europe, (from whom I bought it) explaining the issues I had initially and the problem with the bung. I also advised them I was a Tour Guide and could not afford to be without my Device during the season and asked if I could return it at the end of the season to be repaired or replaced. I had an email reply within the hour advising me a new 20S was on its way and they would then collect the old one. The new one arrived 3 days later but they never collected the old one which is a bonus. I have since solved the problem on it.

I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for and also expect to get what I paid for. OK, maybe Sena should have delayed the release of the 20S but they were superb in dealing with my complaints and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again. In fact I already have.

A note on Universal Pairing: To get around the protocol issues non compatible devices are paired as a mobile phone. This seems to work but I suspect that the range is reduced, not that I have had a chance to test that theory yet. Although there is only one Universal Pairing Connection it doesn't mean you are limited to one non Sena in the group. For example: You can have 2 SMH10s and 2 non Sena devices in a conference call. Pair one SMH10 to a non Sena, repeat with the other two and then pair the two SMH10s together and you have a 4 way conference call. There is more scope if using 20S models.

Since purchasing mine Sena have added to their range including a new entry level model in the 3S and a helmet specific model in the 10U. There is also one with a built in camera which you can use to narrate straight to the recording in the 10C

I'm not knocking any of the other Blue Tooth devices out there, each to their own, but before purchasing one, make sure it is capable of doing what you want it to do. Suitable range, audio quality, compatibility with existing devices and whether it can connect to everyone you would like to being very important considerations. As I previously mentioned, I have no problem justifying things in my own mind and maybe the 20S is more than most need. It is certainly a nice price. But if you are looking for a good reliable Blue Tooth intercom with the ability to pair with other makes then you really should give Sena serious consideration.

Sena also do their own stand alone Blue Tooth Camera, the Prism which while the spec is quite good, it is not a GoPro and Sena realise this. So they also do an Audio Pack for the GoPro H3, 3+ and 4. This is an excellent device for narrating directly on to the recording and is capable of capturing all parties in any conference connection. Very useful for me when recording as a Tour Guide as it captures their reactions when riders experience our environment for the first time. It is also compatible with non Sena Devices. You do need Sena's own GoPro case though to accommodate how it connects to the camera.

My next investment is the SR10 Bluetooth radio Adapter as I have a couple of Kenwood TK radios sat doing nothing.

I should state I have no connection to Sena whatsoever and receive no recognition by plugging their products. I am just a happy customer passing on my experiences.

As a foot note: Sena Warranty is for 2 years and with the original purchaser only. Warranty claims have to be returned to POINT OF SALE. This is worth considering when purchasing a used Device or what pears to be a bargain new Device on the likes of eBay. If the seller is not an authorised retailer there could be issues although there is a Link on the Sena Support Page in this event. I always buy from Sena's On Line Shop even if I could get it cheaper elsewhere. My experiences in dealing with them direct have been a breeze and it is worth it over any small saving I may have made elsewhere :D

Ali a big thanks for this, one of the best reports l have read.

Like yourself l'm gadget mad, we love to listen to music and chat whilst on the move, my next goal is to fit a dab radio to the bike the problem l've been trying to get around is the blue tooth protocol of only transmitting a signal to one receiver l want to Bluetooth the music form one source to 2 headsets l believe that Sena now allow this to happen. I was hovering over buying a pair of SMH10s but after reading this should l hold back and go for the 20s questions questions? l don't like buying something only to find out that a newer model is just around the corner.

The idea is bike to bike and a fairly decent range, I reckon a mile would be enough.

It'll be a fresh piece of kit for the 3 of us. We'll each get one so that when we're out riding we can communicate as required.

I've been having a look.

Cheers for all the replies, been helpful.

:)

They claim just over 1 mile (2km) with the 20S but they aren't cheap. It is a bit cheaper buying the twin kit. Try contacting Sena Europe direct to see if they will extend the discount to a third unit.

You will appreciate the Group Function if you all have 20S models, so easy to connect in a conference mode and easy to set up on the Smart Phone App.

Well I went with these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291148319857

I'll let you all know how they hold up :)

@Chrissb6 figured I'd give them a try. A reasonable price and will be perfectly adequate for what I want. I'll thank you later depending on how they are :)

For the money you can't go wrong just be sure to spend a little bit of time making sure the speakers and microphone are in the right place, this makes a massive difference in the performance. Our helmets didn't offer enough space to make a comfy fit for the supplied speakers so l soldered in place a stereo jack plug, we now use in ear noise cancelling headphones. Tip, still use ear protection you will still hear the system no problem.

Well I went with these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291148319857

I'll let you all know how they hold up :)

@Chrissb6 figured I'd give them a try. A reasonable price and will be perfectly adequate for what I want. I'll thank you later depending on how they are :)

bought these and have used them a few times now. Instructions are a very messy translation to english but fairly easy to setup and they work really well. No delay in the sound and can't hear the wind through them at all.

I've found with volume on full you can still hear pretty well up to 90mph.

Very happy indeed. :)

Me and the wife use scala rider and they are faultless

Never pics up the wind and always hear every word

Well below certain speeds anyway :lol:

have to second this. only really gets a bit "windy" at 70+, that and my missus is deaf as a post. so she cant understand me anyway